PDA

View Full Version : How would I best use a SB?

greigmg
2006-07-18, 16:58
This is my current setup:

I have a media server in a closet - 600mhz duron, 512mb ram, winXP, 802.11g wireless, and a whole lotta hard drive space. I've got a lot of live shows ripped onto it, currently in wav format.

I use my laptop to play the files using winamp by streaming them straight off the server through the network. And currently I'm plugging into my receiver using a Xitel Prolink hifi - it goes from the usb on the laptop to the optical-in on the receiver.

I've got an excel file that I have linked to all of my setlists, and m3u playlists for each show - basically I click the link for the show and it starts playing in winamp off of the server.

I'm trying to cut the cord from the laptop to the receiver. My questions about the squeezebox are this:

Where would I put this slimserver software? I'd rather let it run on the server to avoid using laptop resources, but will the duron handle it adequately, and can I still use my laptop then as the "controller?" I'd like to keep the same basic setup.

I also use Rhapsody - is it easy to set the squeezebox to stream this and still use the laptop as the "controller?"

And how flexible is the squeezebox in general, like if I want to listen to NPR or some podcast over my stereo - these things easy to set up?

I browsed around the forums a bit and got sort of conflicting answers, so I thought I'd just ask. Thanks for the input.

snarlydwarf
2006-07-18, 17:54
Where would I put this slimserver software? I'd rather let it run on the server to avoid using laptop resources, but will the duron handle it adequately, and can I still use my laptop then as the "controller?" I'd like to keep the same basic setup.

The Duron may or may not work: it really depends on your library. That said, I had reasonable performance up to around 12000 tracks on a P2/400 using Debian GNU/Linux. After that it sorta got slow sometimes. (And got painfully slow backing up to a USB drive since that machine only supported USB1... ouch.)

I also use Rhapsody - is it easy to set the squeezebox to stream this and still use the laptop as the "controller?"

Don't know: I don't use Rhapsody, but as I recall the rhapsody client can be on any machine on your network.

And how flexible is the squeezebox in general, like if I want to listen to NPR or some podcast over my stereo - these things easy to set up?

NPR is ... trivial. Many NPR stations are pre-listed, or use publicradiofan.com to find your local station (or your former hometown, or whoever carries Car Talk at 3am...) I don't do Podcasts, so no idea.

You can download the software and try it for free: run the server stuff on the Duron, and Softsqueeze on the Laptop. Softsqueeze won't do Rhapsody and has a couple other things missing, but otherwise does a good job of pretending to be a squeezebox.

mherger
2006-07-19, 00:29
> Where would I put this slimserver software? I'd rather let it run on
> the server to avoid using laptop resources, but will the duron handle
> it adequately,

I'm currently at about 6600 songs, run on a Via C3/1GHz - which might be
comparable to your Duron 600MHz. I'm very happy with it (Linux, though ;-))

> and can I still use my laptop then as the "controller?"

Of course. You can access the server's web interface from almost any
device running a web browser.

Give it a try. Slimserver is free. I'd recommend using FLAC for the the
lossless music files.

> I browsed around the forums a bit and got sort of conflicting answers,

What conflicts to which one of your questions?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

bpa
2006-07-19, 01:35
WRT to NPR podcast - if you are using SS 6.3 - install plugin WikiRadio , restart Slim and then got WikiRadio menu and then to NPRPodcast - it has the full directory of all NPR prodcast. It is organised by topic.

See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?WikiRadio

Alternatively a lot of NPR content is available from menu in AlienBBC.