PDA

View Full Version : Live365 track info

dgpretzel
2006-07-16, 19:03
I notice that the track info for live365 stations is significantly out of sync with what is actually playing. Usually, the track info changes about 45 - 75 seconds before the music changes. That's so much that you can't always tell that a piece is "winding up". So, sometimes, you don't know whether you're looking at info for the current or the next selection.

I think I understand that the situation occurs because the bit stream is buffered, and the track info is polled separately on a near real-time basis. But, I wonder if it is possible for Slim Devices to fix the problem? Is there anything in the actual music bitstream to signal the end or beginning of a musical selection? (I understand, I think, that the actual metadata is NOT in the music bit stream, but, perhaps, there is something that signals beginning/end of each piece.) If so, perhaps the software could modified to defer displaying the new information until the next piece actually starts.

The track info is really ambiguous much of the time.

Thank you for any comments.

Regards,

DG

andyg
2006-07-16, 20:17
You're right that the track info is not contained within the stream but polled from a separate XML feed. I will take another look at how it works and see if the track changes can be more exact. Without looking, I think the feed provides a value such as "time until next track" that we use to determine when to get the next track title. So if it turns out that this time is actually wrong, there isn't much we can do. Have you checked Live365's own 'now playing' webpage to see if it's more in sync?

andyg
2006-07-17, 08:04
Looked at this, and we use the Refresh time specified by Live365 for refreshing the now playing track. So any error in displaying the correct track would be on Live365's end.

http://www.live365.com/pls/front?viewType=xml&handle=rocklandusa&cmd=view&handler=playlist

atlslim
2006-07-17, 08:24
You're right that the track info is not contained within the stream but polled from a separate XML feed.

Not related to Live365 but was curious if track info could be retrieved from other sources (e.g, java script ticker or php)?

see this playlist page: http://www.xponentialradio.org/playlists.php

andyg
2006-07-17, 08:27
Not without writing a custom plugin for each station, and then dealing with the nightmare of making sure they don't change the way their website works in the future. A station should send metadata within their mp3 stream, without the need for silly tricks such as fetching a separate playlist feed.

atlslim
2006-07-17, 08:35
A station should send metadata within their mp3 stream, without the need for silly tricks such as fetching a separate playlist feed.

Agreed! Unfortunately it seems a majority of the online public radio stations don't include track info.

dgpretzel
2006-07-18, 00:44
Well, it would seem different stations are different with regard to how closely the track info syncs with the actual music. Or maybe it just varies over time. Does either of these possibilities make any sense?

I will observe some more.

DG

stinkingpig
2006-07-19, 07:04
On 7/18/06, dgpretzel <
dgpretzel.2b4rwz1153208701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Well, it would seem different stations are different with regard to how
> closely the track info syncs with the actual music. Or maybe it just
> varies over time. Does either of these possibilities make any sense?
>
> I will observe some more.
>
> DG

I'd expect that it's more or less accurate at the source, but after the
tender loving mercies of a whole lot of routers between source, live365,
squeezenetwork, and you... let's remember folks, it's a flippin miracle that
this TCP/IP streaming stuff works at all :)
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional