PDA

View Full Version : Let's try a subject this time: Gapless Playbackand44.1kHzDigital Out?



Cerebus the Aardvark
2003-11-26, 14:53
Exactly. Do you think you could do FLAC wirelessly, then, or would you
still need a cable? I also saw that it automatically does polarity
correction - does that mean that for me, without a switch (since there's
only one machine) I could use a standard Cat5 cable (instead of a crossover
cable) to connect to the Squeezebox?

--E


>From: Sean Adams <sadams (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>
>
>Client-side FLAC is a possibility for a future firmware update. Of course,
>there would be no difference from a functional or sound quality standpoint
>- this is just to try to reduce bandwidth usage.
>
>On Nov 26, 2003, at 1:27 PM, Cerebus the Aardvark wrote:
>
>>Wow. I'm in shock. Expect my order in the near future...although I heard
>>that FLAC would be decoded in the Squeezebox instead of the server in an
>>upcoming version, is that true? I assume that this would be a firmware
>>update...
>>

seanadams
2003-11-26, 15:05
On Nov 26, 2003, at 1:53 PM, Cerebus the Aardvark wrote:

> Exactly. Do you think you could do FLAC wirelessly, then, or would
> you still need a cable?

I've tested it in a buch of different wireless environments - as long
as you have moderate signal strength it works fine. In fact, I often
stream PCM to two wireless squeezeboxen from one base station.

> I also saw that it automatically does polarity correction - does that
> mean that for me, without a switch (since there's only one machine) I
> could use a standard Cat5 cable (instead of a crossover cable) to
> connect to the Squeezebox?

Auto polarity correction is not the same as auto crossover. No, it
does not have auto-crossover. Auto-polarity just means it'll correct
for some cases of incorrectly wired cables or patch panels. It's one
of the less useful bullet points I threw in there just for the one
person who asks - practically every ethernet device has it. :)

Kevin Deane-Freeman
2003-11-26, 15:05
Quoting Cerebus the Aardvark <cerebusjam (AT) hotmail (DOT) com>:

> Exactly. Do you think you could do FLAC wirelessly, then, or would you
> still need a cable? I also saw that it automatically does polarity
> correction - does that mean that for me, without a switch (since there's
> only one machine) I could use a standard Cat5 cable (instead of a crossover
> cable) to connect to the Squeezebox?
>
> --E

FLAC currently decodes to RAW in the server, which is still ok with a wireless
setup. Were you to have, say, 4 or 5 squeezeboxes all running wireless...you'll
run into problems without going to MP3, or waiting for client-side FLAC. A
single device should be fine as logn as your wireless connection is reliably
strong (not too many walls or bad angles to pass through)

-kdf

> >From: Sean Adams <sadams (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>
> >
> >Client-side FLAC is a possibility for a future firmware update. Of course,
>
> >there would be no difference from a functional or sound quality standpoint
> >- this is just to try to reduce bandwidth usage.
> >
> >On Nov 26, 2003, at 1:27 PM, Cerebus the Aardvark wrote:
> >
> >>Wow. I'm in shock. Expect my order in the near future...although I heard
>
> >>that FLAC would be decoded in the Squeezebox instead of the server in an
> >>upcoming version, is that true? I assume that this would be a firmware
> >>update...
> >>
>
>