PDA

View Full Version : Potential Squeezebox Killer?

cvj
2006-07-15, 09:51
Interesting potential competitor to Squeezebox emerging:

http://www.navvo.com/default.aspx

Of course, at this point there is no way of telling whether it will work as advertised or what type of codecs it can decode... time will tell..

cvj

Pale Blue Ego
2006-07-15, 11:29
Voice control is going to be a Killer App someday. Imagine if you could just tell your computer what you wanted to do, see, or find and it took care of it for you.

So far most commercial implementations of voice command have been pretty clunky. Some recent Honda cars have a pretty nice voice system that recognizes more than 500 commands and works pretty well.

Voice command for a large media collection would be great, frankly. It would let a lot more non-techies into the party.

stinkingpig
2006-07-15, 12:27
On 7/15/06, Pale Blue Ego <
Pale.Blue.Ego.2b01rz1152988201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Voice control is going to be a Killer App someday. Imagine if you could
> just tell your computer what you wanted to do, see, or find and it took
> care of it for you.
>
> So far most commercial implementations of voice command have been
> pretty clunky. Some recent Honda cars have a pretty nice voice system
> that recognizes more than 500 commands and works pretty well.
>
> Voice command for a large media collection would be great, frankly. It
> would let a lot more non-techies into the party.
>
>
>
Looks to me like someone intends to marry Dragon and Slimserver, but they
still haven't even decided which platforms to support. They know it's going
to need a computer and a wireless network though, which means that they'll
be open to all the same customer support issues that SDI has to handle
(firewalls, wireless interference, permissions, performance, &c).
http://www.navvo.com/how_it_works/default.htm

It also looks to me like they're still seeking investors and have no actual
products. It's a long way from a photoshopped website and an idea to
shipping product and a support organization. Wake me when someone's bought
and tested this "Squeezebox killer".

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

Paul_B
2006-07-15, 14:51
Hmm the thing about a Squeezebox is it is virtually audiophile quality if you are using a lossless format. In addition it is not power hungry. This is a major differentiator in the market of low cost multi-room audio

Michaelwagner
2006-07-15, 17:48
VOCO will be available for the 2006 holiday season.
Sign up now and we’ll notify you by email as soon as VOCO is available in stores.
I think Stinkingpig is right. Vapourware at this point.

Interesting backers though. Polaroid is one.

http://www.navvo.com/company/partners.htm

fathom39
2006-07-16, 06:38
Why would voice be the killer app for accessing any kind of extensive library? The picture on the website shows a yuppie doofus sitting in a La-Z-Boy playing with with some sort of walkie-talkie device. I suppose that he either doesn't have a large collection of songs or he knows exactly the song he wants and doesn't need to search around. To quote from the website: "Now, instead of scrolling and clicking, you can simply say the music you want to hear." BOGUS! How many of you out there prefer a telephone IVR interface to a web-based interface? The eye and the hand will always be faster than the ear and the mouth! Imagine the disaster if we had to drive vehicles / fly airplanes / fire weapons in battle / etc. without using our hands. But then again, last Sunday I learned how fighting is done on the soccer field without hands!

autopilot
2006-07-16, 09:28
I really hate voice command stuff. I just feel like a complete idiot and nerd using it. I really dont want to talk to electronic stuff, why are some people to obsessed with it? I guess because it's all futuristic like star trek. No, not for me.

Also, i would like to know how well it would work in a room full of loud music ;)

Michaelwagner
2006-07-16, 09:35
last Sunday I learned how fighting is done on the soccer field without hands!
Someone on local radio called it the head-butt seen around the world. :-)

Michaelwagner
2006-07-16, 09:50
I really hate voice command stuff. I just feel like a complete idiot and nerd using it. I really dont want to talk to electronic stuff, why are some people to obsessed with it? I guess because it's all futuristic like star trek. No, not for me.
I have a friend who is a musician with severe repetitive stress injuries from playing violin and piano. She was working on her master's degree when her hands kinda gave out. I offered to help her by typing some of her thesis (it was mixed English/German and not so easy to just hand to a secretary) but she opted instead to get a grant and get a computer with voice response. OK, this was probably 8 years ago, but it sucked the big one. Every time she said something slightly wrong, it would type it wrong. Then she's say "oh, shit" so then it would type that. You get the point.

There's no good syntactic way to give out of band or meta information. We as good listeners running a syntactic and semantic engine in parallel understand when someone goes back and corrects something, but computers don't have nearly the horsepower we have and software isn't there yet anyways. Not by a long shot.

When I was in undergraduate school lo those 30 mumble years ago we were told voice recognition was around the corner, 10 or 15 years or so. I stayed in the sidelines of academia for another 15 years and each year got the CSC reading lists and bought all the books. Every few years they'd push that estimate out. If anything, all that's happened in the mean time is we have realized what a large goal that really was and gained new respect for how amazing the human brain is.

Now, I'm far even from the outskirts of academia these days, but I do subscribe to a kind of clipping service for SciAm. If there had been a breakthrough in voice recognition in the last few years, I think it would have knocked on my mailbox, either through the SciAm feed or some other way. Nobody's come knocking, so I doubt there's any breakthrough.

Without a breakthrough, it's like Dangerous Dom says. Won't work in a room where the music is already playing. Won't work for different people without retraining. Won't work if you have a cold. etc.

Someone did a nice job with photoshop, and someone's looking for investors (I think that's the main thing). I think it probably works marginally enough to be a gadget. They have 3 voice recognition products. Polaroid is one of the backers. I'm sure it's not a total crock. It's just that the distance between "kinda works" and "works well enough that it's like talking to my friend" is so vast, most of the public won't realize it either until they've bought into it.

To give you an idea, my lawyer's answering system asks you to speak the name of the person you want to speak to. I say his name, it connects me to him.

My cell phone can dial for me if I say the name of the person I want to speak to.

Each of these examples works with a vocabulary of a few dozen words. How many of you have a few dozen songs in your library?

Think about saying "I want to listen to a version of All along the Watchtower, not the hendrix version but the original dylan version, but not from a live concert".

It's a long way from saying "Call Home" to your cell phone.

CardinalFang
2006-07-16, 10:11
Also, i would like to know how well it would work in a room full of loud music ;)

That is such an obvious point - probably why I hadn't thought of it!

Can you imagine shouting "turn the $%&*!! volume down!!!"

It's the wrong solution to the problem. Selecting music is often based on looking through your records until you see something and you say to yourself "Hey I haven't heard that for a while..." It's why the random option is so good - you hear stuff you haven't heard for ages. Also, visual clues are so good for choosing music, voice means you have to remember what's in the library. I want to choose based on album art, not correct pronounciation of band name.

Paul

snarlydwarf
2006-07-16, 10:25
That is such an obvious point - probably why I hadn't thought of it!

I was thinking more about "Computer, play [Untitled]..."

Song titles matching "[untitled]": 18

And would I have to say something weird for Crimson's "The ConstruKction of Light"?

We won't even get into the Classical Music problem...

Michaelwagner
2006-07-16, 10:25
You know, for about a year after I RIPped all my dance music to a hard disk, I still took the albums along in their books. They weigh a ton, but I found that the way I had grouped my music in the album books and the visual look of the album would remind me of an appropriate song to go next.

Then I'd play it off the hard disk.

Odd but true. Gives you an insight that how you pick the music you want to hear is a lot more subtle than you think, and just saying it isn't going to cut it much of the time.

[edit] this may also give us some insight into why so many people experience the "looking for music" problem in so many different ways, and why the web interface works for some and not others, why some prefer "browse music folder" to "browse by artist", etc.

Paul_B
2006-07-16, 11:43
I love just leaving the Squeezebox on Random Mix based on the genres to match my mood. You get to hear tracks you had forgotten all about it is fantastic

funkstar
2006-07-16, 13:41
Interesting backers though. Polaroid is one.
Is Polaroid even a real company these days? I thought they wend bankrupt and someone bought the rights to use the Polaroid brand and IP for instant cameras. I think they then leased out the name to a generic digital camera manufacturer for those.

Michaelwagner
2006-07-16, 15:16
Is Polaroid even a real company these days? I thought they wend bankrupt and someone bought the rights to use the Polaroid brand and IP for instant cameras. I think they then leased out the name to a generic digital camera manufacturer for those.
Good one. I hadn't known that, but I think you're correct. See the wikipedia article linked to below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polaroid_Corporation

leo85
2011-07-14, 02:07
I know this is a bit of a thread revival, but it seems this Voco lives...
(sorry for lack of info - first post doesn't allow links)

leo85
2011-07-14, 02:08
Whilst on the hunt for a new skin for my server, I came across this:
http://www.flashbender.com/ (about half way down page).

I liked the look, and it looked like Voco was based on squeeze and so continued my quest for that skin. I found the Voco website (http://www.myvoco.com/cms_pages.php?cms_id=13) and installed the software hoping that I could just copy the skin folder to my server.
It seems to have installed what looks like simply a Voco branded version of the Squeezeserver software, but unfortunately there is no skin included. There are 2 plugins though, NavvoFormats, and NavvoInit, which I assume are for the voice activation software.

It might be worth trying the android application that partners the voco branded software (I don't have android)?

Any info on where to get the skin would be gratefully received!

mherger
2011-07-14, 02:42
Heh... interesting layout! Their software definitely makes me feel at home
- it even installed into c:\program files\squeezebox... I guess that new
skin isn't part of the software yet, as the manual and everything I've
found so far is only referring to the Android app.

Michael

Am 14.07.2011, 11:08 Uhr, schrieb leo85
<leo85.4wuyin1310634601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Whilst on the hunt for a new skin for my server, I came across this:
> http://www.flashbender.com/ (about half way down page).
>
> I liked the look, and it looked like Voco was based on squeeze and so
> continued my quest for that skin. I found the Voco website
> (http://www.myvoco.com/cms_pages.php?cms_id=13) and installed the
> software hoping that I could just copy the skin folder to my server.
> It seems to have installed what looks like simply a Voco branded
> version of the Squeezeserver software, but unfortunately there is no
> skin included. There are 2 plugins though, NavvoFormats, and NavvoInit,
> which I assume are for the voice activation software.
>
> It might be worth trying the android application that partners the voco
> branded software (I don't have android)?
>
> Any info on where to get the skin would be gratefully received!
>
>

--

Michael

erland
2011-07-14, 03:43
Heh... interesting layout! Their software definitely makes me feel at home
- it even installed into c:\program files\squeezebox... I guess that new
skin isn't part of the software yet, as the manual and everything I've
found so far is only referring to the Android app.

Michael

Maybe you can steal their marketing video as compensation ? A lot better than anything I've seen from Logitech so far.

tamanaco
2011-07-14, 04:26
Funny video... that VOCO is Loco... that wasn't Latin music in my book. I agree, the web interface looks interesting. Anybody can understand what the system does from that very low budget video-ad. No technical jargon whatsoever. "The world's first voice-controlled Music System..." "You Say It" "VOCO Plays it" What else do you need to know?

erland
2011-07-14, 05:06
Funny video... that VOCO is Loco... that wasn't Latin music in my book. I agree, the web interface looks interesting. Anybody can understand what the system does from that very low budget video-ad. No technical jargon whatsoever. "The world's first voice-controlled Music System..." "You Say It" "VOCO Plays it" What else do you need to know?

Logitech's version of the video (didn't find anyone else made by Logitech):
http://blog.logitech.com/2009/09/03/logitech-unveils-squeezebox-radio-and-squeezebox-touch/
(Feels a bit boring in comparision, doesn't it?)

Although, when taking a look at the VOCO server software it really just looks like a standard Squeezebox Server where they have:
- Removed web interface completely besides the very basic EN skin
- Removed most (but not all) of the stuff copyrighted by Logitech and replaced it with VOCO logo/names
- Only support for Windows, no Linux or OSX support.

I suspect web interface shown at http://www.flashbender.com/ hasn't been released yet, it's definitely not in the VOCO Media Server version available for download at the moment. So compared to what they are offering for download now, it feels like they have a bit of work left to do before it's ready for release.

Still, I think it's nice to see some more competitors trying to get into the market.

jo-wie
2011-07-14, 05:27
Maybe you can steal their marketing video as compensation ? A lot better than anything I've seen from Logitech so far.

The German Boom Trailer made by Logitech was good. They also can do it. :)

http://video.golem.de/mobil/1605/logitech-squeezeboxboom-trailer.html

bluegaspode
2011-07-14, 05:29
Logitech's version of the video (didn't find anyone else made by Logitech):
http://blog.logitech.com/2009/09/03/logitech-unveils-squeezebox-radio-and-squeezebox-touch/
(Feels a bit boring in comparision, doesn't it?)

In Germany they had the following Boom videos with a well known (German) musician:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JqgqncplLM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mepfIpD51s

Lot's of German talking of course but you'll get the idea by just watching the video I guess.

Now one wonders what's inside the Voco-Hardware.
Some little Linux Server most probably.

mherger
2011-07-14, 05:31
> The German Boom Trailer made by Logitech was good. They also can do it.

You wouldn't believe how our US friends envied Logitech Germany for this
spot :-). We've never had anything else which comes close to this one
outside German speaking countries.

--

Michael

mherger
2011-07-14, 05:33
> Now one wonders what's inside the Voco-Hardware.
> Some little Linux Server most probably.

I installed the Voco app on my Android phone to see whether it would work
with a SB. It doesn't. And my English is so poor, it didn't find a single
track... (ok, with only a very small collection).

--

Michael

erland
2011-07-14, 05:44
> Now one wonders what's inside the Voco-Hardware.
> Some little Linux Server most probably.

I installed the Voco app on my Android phone to see whether it would work
with a SB. It doesn't. And my English is so poor, it didn't find a single
track... (ok, with only a very small collection).

Did you run the VOCO server ?
It contained two extra plugins which provided some new CLI command, maybe those are needed to make it work ?

mherger
2011-07-14, 05:56
> Did you run the VOCO server ?

Yes, I did.

> It contained two extra plugins which provided some new CLI command,
> maybe those are needed to make it work ?

On the remote my connected player (fab4) wouldn't even show up. I was
wondering whether the voice recognition was partly based on the device
itself, not on the phone. Or whether they added a check if the device was
a VOCO box or not.

--

Michael

pippin
2011-07-14, 10:44
I'd guess the voice control might be The Android one.

MusicManiac
2011-07-14, 14:44
Would love that web GUI theme...