PDA

View Full Version : Happy system

phoneme
2006-07-14, 11:19
Thought I'd post a positive experience (to balance the techinical problems for those contemplating buying).

New system: SB3, Arcam A80, Monitor Audio RS6. Slimserver 6.5 running under OS X, Airport Express wireless router, remote control from PC laptop and a PSP. I put this system together a week ago and have basically had a dead easy time of it. Sound quality is truly outstanding - even feeds (via AlienBBc and Pandora) sound good. I've rebooted a couple of times when feeds have failed but other than that it works really well.

BTW, using the PSP is a doddle (Airport Express handles 802.11g and b devices hapilly without dragging speed down) - a beter interface onto slimserver would be nice but I see there is already a prototype skin out there. I think my big "would like to see" feature would be smarter ways of browsing large-ish libraries (I have about 1600 albums) perhaps using Pandora technology. Oh and video streaming ;)

Given sound quality and that the hifi components came in under 1400 I reckon this system is a bit of a bargain. The Arcam/SB3 even look pretty good together (see pic).

mherger
2006-07-14, 23:49
> I think my big "would like to see" feature would be smarter
> ways of browsing large-ish libraries (I have about 1600 albums) perhaps
> using Pandora technology.

You might want to give musicip.com a try (aka MusicMagic).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)