PDA

View Full Version : Can't Connect to Wireless Network :-(

MacFreek
2006-07-13, 14:25
Hi,

Need some help as I can no longer connect to my wireless network with my Squeezebox 1 ...

My set-up is as follows. Broadband incoming via ZyXEL Prestige 2602H-61 (Firmware Updated). This is my DHCP server and also does VOIP to Analog for voice. Connected (Ethernet) to this router is an Airport Basestation Extreme that acts as bridge only and serves as WiFi point. SlimServer is running on an iMac connected to the ZyXEL over Ethernet, the airport card of the iMac is switched-off. Firewall is open for SlimServer. The wireless network is a hidden one and the encryption used is WEP 128, running in 802.11g.

With my MacBook I can connect fine, the wireless signal is fine and used to be some 20-30% for the Squeezebox but now it reads 0% and a connection is not established. I've checked the WEP password which is fine. Also reset the Squeezebox to factory default; same issue, 0% signal. After reset the Squeezebox showed other wireless networks in my neighborhood so I assume the Squeezebox is not broken and works. The Squeezebox does seem to get an IP-address and the gateway is also set.

My Squeezebox used to be instable but this is probably due to the fact that there are 2 concrete floors between the Airport Basestation and the Squeezebox. I've plans to amplify ...

The recent changes I applied to my network were: the firmware update of my router because VOIP was instable, switched the wireless network form dual b/g to 802.11g only to get maximum throughput and switched off the internal airport card of the iMac because I no longer need it as it is connected over Ethernet now.

Could it be that my Squeezebox has been receiving signal from the iMac's internal airport (b) card ?? And that that was causing instability ?

What am I doing wrong here ?? Any suggestion is welcome !

Thanks,
MacFreek

Marc Sherman
2006-07-13, 17:54
On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 02:25:52PM -0700, MacFreek wrote:
>
> Need some help as I can no longer connect to my wireless network with
> my Squeezebox 1 ...
>
> The recent changes I applied to my network were: the firmware update of
> my router because VOIP was instable, switched the wireless network form
> dual b/g to 802.11g only to get maximum throughput and switched off the
> internal airport card of the iMac because I no longer need it as it is
> connected over Ethernet now.

The Squeezebox 1 doesn't support 802.11g, it only supports 802.11b. So
you'll need ot switch the wireless network back to b/g.

- Marc

MacFreek
2006-07-13, 23:25
Thanks Marc. Will switch back to b/g then ...

Freek