PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer shuts of on rescanning

Stephan
2006-07-13, 05:39
Has anyone experienced the following? I have a new MaxtorPersonalStorage USB HDD, where I moved all of my music files to. Next I wanted to refresh SlimServer's library by running the rescan option, but when I do that SlimServer shuts itself off after about 10 seconds. What could possibly be the problem? Please advise.

Thanks,
Stephan

mherger
2006-07-13, 05:52
> Has anyone experienced the following? I have a new MaxtorPersonalStorage
> USB HDD, where I moved all of my music files to. Next I wanted to
> refresh SlimServer's library by running the rescan option, but when I
> do that SlimServer shuts itself off after about 10 seconds. What could
> possably be the problem? Please advise?

Where do you run your server? What does the log say? Which server version
are you running?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Stephan
2006-07-13, 13:38
I run my server, version 6.3.0 on a Windows XP Home edition notebook. I wasn't aware of any kind of log used in SlimServer. I have to look into that. The current log.txt is blank, but that would be because I haven't set it up yet. Any suggestions there how I should set it up? Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Stephan

mherger
2006-07-14, 00:01
> I run my server, version 6.3.0 on a Windows XP Home edition notebook. I
> wasn't aware of any kind of log used in SlimServer. I have to look into
> that. The current log.txt is blank, but that would be because I haven't
> set it up yet. Any suggestions there how I should set it up?

Shut down slimserver (if it's still running :-)). Open a command window
and run "slim.exe -d_scan". This should output a lot of information to the
screen. What are the last lines, before it crashes?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Stephan
2006-07-14, 06:33
...and how long does SlimServer usually take to do a rescan? Please share your experience.

Thanks,
Stephan

mherger
2006-07-14, 06:38
...and how long does SlimServer usually take to do a rescan? Please share your experience.

Between a few seconds and hours. Depends on size of the music collection, your server's processing power, file format...

I'm running on a Via C3/1GHz, about 6600 songs, takes ~1h

mherger
2006-07-14, 06:42
I run my server, version 6.3.0 on a Windows XP Home edition notebook. I wasn't aware of any kind of log used in SlimServer. I have to look into that. The current log.txt is blank, but that would be because I haven't set it up yet.

Shut down slimserver (if it's still running :-)). Open a command window and run "slim.exe -d_scan". This should output a lot of information to the screen. What are the last lines, before it crashes?

shabbs
2006-07-14, 07:01
When I issue a full scan, the SB display initially shows "Slimserver is now rescanning your library..." and then the display usually goes off and the web interface is pretty much unusable until the scan is done (approx 2 hours for my collection). This has always been the case for me throughout the years with different builds and different hardware. So, now I schedule my scans to run at night in the wee hours.

ModelCitizen
2006-07-14, 07:03
When I issue a full scan, the SB display initially shows "Slimserver is now rescanning your library..." and then the display usually goes off and the web interface is pretty much unusable until the scan is done (approx 2 hours for my collection). This has always been the case for me throughout the years with different builds and different hardware. So, now I schedule my scans to run at night in the wee hours.

Hopefully you'll find that vs 6.5 sorts that out due to splitting out the scanner.
MC

shabbs
2006-07-14, 07:11
Hopefully you'll find that vs 6.5 sorts that out due to splitting out the scanner.
MC
Holy crap this is true! How sweet it is. I had upgraded to 6.5 to alleviate the multiple VA issue but had not tested this out.

Excellent stuff.

Stephan
2006-07-14, 07:12
Shut down slimserver (if it's still running :-)). Open a command window and run "slim.exe -d_scan". This should output a lot of information to the screen. What are the last lines, before it crashes?
I ran the command line you suggested, but no information is displayed. The cursur just drops to the next line. According to the taskmanager slim.exe is running. Should I just wait a couple of hours?

Thanks for the help, guys!

mherger
2006-07-14, 07:55
I ran the command line you suggested, but no information is displayed. The cursur just drops to the next line. According to the taskmanager slim.exe is running. Should I just wait a couple of hours?

Make slimserver crash as you did before. It should at least give a reason why it is crashing.

Stephan
2006-07-14, 11:03
Well... I decided to wait a couple of hours. When I checked back at my system lots of info had appeared in the DOS box. So, it seems that the rescan function just needs a lot of time to complete. In the proces SlimServer as a user interface is shut off while slim.exe does the job in the background. The user is pretty much left in the dark of what actually is going on. That I think could use some improvement. Anyway, my music library is fresh and funky now.

Again, thanx for the help!

Regards,
Stephan

shabbs
2006-07-14, 11:08
In the proces SlimServer as a user interface is shut off while slim.exe does the job in the background. The user is pretty much left in the dark of what actually is going on. That I think could use some improvement.
This is fixed in v6.5 which is in alpha pre-release.

Stephan
2006-07-14, 14:42
This is fixed in v6.5 which is in alpha pre-release.
Sweet, that looks promising. I'm not much on the adventurous side when it comes to software releases in the pre-alpha-beta gamma, but there's always a first time for everything. Thanks shabbs.

Wirrunna
2006-07-14, 17:09
"In the proces SlimServer as a user interface is shut off while slim.exe does the job in the background. The user is pretty much left in the dark of what actually is going on. That I think could use some improvement. Anyway, my music library is fresh and funky now."

If you open your browser and type in
http://localhost:9000/
you can see what is going on, though it will run a bit slow.