PDA

View Full Version : Burning CD for friend in London

Kyle
2006-07-12, 12:16
A couple of years ago I burned a compilation CD for a friend in London, but he said it would not work in his car. I can't remember for certain, but I probably used WMA Lossless format. He drives a Range Rover. I'm traveling to England in August, and I'd like to try again. What format should I use?

kdf
2006-07-12, 12:25
Quoting Kyle <Kyle.2auk3b1152732001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> A couple of years ago I burned a compilation CD for a friend in London,
> but he said it would not work in his car. I can't remember for
> certain, but I probably used WMA Lossless format. He drives a Range
> Rover. I'm traveling to England in August, and I'd like to try again.
> What format should I use?

Offhand, go with good old redbook audio. The standard CD audio format.
Since no details about the capabilities of the cd player in question
are given, that's the only safe way to go. If the Range Rover model
happens to ONLY ever come with an MP3/WMA or some such capable player,
I'd still say go with redbook audio. If you need the space, mp3 is
still the most widely supported format around for hardware.

It's a big, loud truck so the losses from mp3 conversion shouldn't be
a huge problem.
-kdf

funkstar
2006-07-12, 13:19
A basic audio CD is the way to go, doesn't matter what format the source tracks are as long as they are being decoded and not just written as a data disk.

As an asside, i had problems with CD-R disks in my VW Gold CD Player. The only way to get them to play was to use my Plextors VariRec function. This burns at 4x and alters the laser strength on the fly to suit the disks recording layer and give the best results. My car had no problems with these disks.

Most cars don't suffer from this problem though, especially newer ones.

EDIT: meant to say, my car also spat out several "copy protected" store purchased disks. Funny how the copies i made in about 10 minutes worked perfectly ;)

Kyle
2006-07-12, 13:32
As an asside, i had problems with CD-R disks in my VW Gold CD Player. The only way to get them to play was to use my Plextors VariRec function. This burns at 4x and alters the laser strength on the fly to suit the disks recording layer and give the best results. My car had no problems with these disks.

Maybe my situation wasn't a format problem at all, then.

funkstar
2006-07-13, 12:47
You could try burning at a lower speed, i've heard this on its own helps. Also the actual disk can be a factor. I've heard that Verbatim disks are some of the most compatible, but they didn't make a difference for me, only VariRec helped in my case.

Khuli
2006-07-14, 03:55
It's a big, loud truck so the losses from mp3 conversion shouldn't be a huge problem.
I don't think Range Rover will take too kindly to that description!

The new one has "harman/kardon LOGIC7 premium sound system with 14 speakers and MP3 capability available" http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehicles/New_Range_Rover/Range_Rover_overview.htm

funkstar
2006-07-14, 09:29
The new one has...
indeed, but what does your friend have? :)