PDA

View Full Version : Softsqueeze 2.8 / squeezeslave 0.6

rtitmuss
2006-07-11, 14:45
You can find new releases of Softsqueeze and squeezeslave now available on sourceforge (http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net). Softsqueeze 2.8 will also be available in the next nightly releases of slimserver 6.3 and 6.5.

Softsqueeze 2.8:
- Fix window border on XP and Linux
- Fix java webstart on OSX
- Cosmetic fixes for excession skin
- Possible fix for Bug 3412 Slimproto asserts no client

squeezeslave 0.6:
- Fixed compatibility with slimserver 6.3
- Fixed a bug where squeezeslave may not play audio when it starts.
- Added option '-o' to select the audio device to use. Add the device id as output on the console.

Enjoy!
Richard

chrisla
2006-07-11, 22:26
I think the Linux squeezeslave tar file is corrupt, I have tried
uncompressing it on both Linux and OSX, from two different mirrors and
always get an unexpected end of file.

Thanks,

-Chris

# wget http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/softsqueeze/squeezeslave-0.6.1-linux-i386.tgz
--22:46:34-- http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/softsqueeze/squeezeslave-0.6.1-linux-i386.tgz
=> `squeezeslave-0.6.1-linux-i386.tgz.1'
Resolving umn.dl.sourceforge.net... 128.101.240.209
Connecting to umn.dl.sourceforge.net|128.101.240.209|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 181,536 (177K) [application/x-gzip]

100%[====================================>] 181,536 17.38K/s ETA 00:00

22:46:46 (16.86 KB/s) - `squeezeslave-0.6.1-linux-i386.tgz.1' saved
[181536/181536]

# gzip -d squeezeslave-0.6.1-linux-i386.tgz

gzip: squeezeslave-0.6.1-linux-i386.tgz: unexpected end of file

On 7/11/06, rtitmuss
<rtitmuss.2aswdb1152654601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> You can find new releases of Softsqueeze and squeezeslave now available
> on sourceforge (http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net). Softsqueeze 2.8
> will also be available in the next nightly releases of slimserver 6.3
> and 6.5.
>
> Softsqueeze 2.8:
> - Fix window border on XP and Linux
> - Fix java webstart on OSX
> - Cosmetic fixes for excession skin
> - Possible fix for Bug 3412 Slimproto asserts no client
>
> squeezeslave 0.6:
> - Fixed compatibility with slimserver 6.3
> - Fixed a bug where squeezeslave may not play audio when it starts.
> - Added option '-o' to select the audio device to use. Add the device
> id as output on the console.
>
> Enjoy!
> Richard
>
>
> --
> rtitmuss
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> rtitmuss's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=36
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25438
>
>

oreillymj
2006-07-11, 22:53
I've seen this error in the past after FTP'ing a tar ball in binary mode, when the tar was created as ASCII.

Try changing the transfer mode.

chrisla
2006-07-11, 23:00
Alas no, I tried from a web browser as well. Not sure wget even has an
ASCII mode.

-Chris

On 7/11/06, oreillymj
<oreillymj.2atitn1152683701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> I've seen this error in the past after FTP'ing a tar ball in binary
> mode, when the tar was created as ASCII.
>
> Try changing the transfer mode.
>
>
> --
> oreillymj
> oreillymj's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=699
>
>

rtitmuss
2006-07-12, 03:24
I think the Linux squeezeslave tar file is corrupt, I have tried
uncompressing it on both Linux and OSX, from two different mirrors and
always get an unexpected end of file.

Yes, it looks like the file was truncated when I uploaded it. I have update the linux and OSX files, so they should work ok now.

Richard

gorstk
2006-07-12, 11:02
> squeezeslave 0.6:
> - Fixed compatibility with slimserver 6.3
> - Fixed a bug where squeezeslave may not play audio when it starts.
> - Added option '-o' to select the audio device to use. Add the device
> id as output on the console.

-o option works very well (-:

Have noticed on a couple of occassions that squeezeslave takes 100% of
my CPU. On ubuntu 6.06. No pattern to it, just happens if left a while
(not playing, in switched off state). Is there any debug option?

Also having problems of slow/jittery playback when running squeezeslave
in a windows 98/2000 vmware session with ubuntu as the host os. Much
worse in 2000 than 98. (odd setup to allow my barix exstreamer to
connect to the windows 'box' which is simulating a squeezebox through
squeezeslave..... currently having to use softsqueeze and 'virtual
cable' software)

Mark Miksis
2006-07-12, 11:47
You can find new releases of Softsqueeze and squeezeslave now available on sourceforge (http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net).
Is the rpm .spec file or an SRPM available somewhere? I can't seem to find them on sourceforge or in SVN. I'd like to try to fix this:

[mark@notebook usr]$ sudo rpm -Uvh softsqueeze_linux_2_8.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
package softsqueeze-2.0-1 is already installed
file /opt/softsqueeze/SoftSqueeze.jar from install of softsqueeze-2.0-1 conflicts with file from package softsqueeze-2.0-1
file /opt/softsqueeze/lib/dtd-xercesImpl.jar from install of softsqueeze-2.0-1 conflicts with file from package softsqueeze-2.0-1
file /opt/softsqueeze/lib/jflac-1.0.jar from install of softsqueeze-2.0-1 conflicts with file from package softsqueeze-2.0-1
file /opt/softsqueeze/lib/jl1.0.jar from install of softsqueeze-2.0-1 conflicts with file from package softsqueeze-2.0-1
file /opt/softsqueeze/lib/jnlp.jar from install of softsqueeze-2.0-1 conflicts with file from package softsqueeze-2.0-1
file /opt/softsqueeze/lib/jsch-20040429.jar from install of softsqueeze-2.0-1 conflicts with file from package softsqueeze-2.0-1
file /opt/softsqueeze/lib/log4j-1.2.8.jar from install of softsqueeze-2.0-1 conflicts with file from package softsqueeze-2.0-1
file /opt/softsqueeze/lib/mp3spi1.9.2.jar from install of softsqueeze-2.0-1 conflicts with file from package softsqueeze-2.0-1
file /opt/softsqueeze/lib/tritonus_share.jar from install of softsqueeze-2.0-1 conflicts with file from package softsqueeze-2.0-1
file /opt/softsqueeze/lib/xml-apis.jar from install of softsqueeze-2.0-1 conflicts with file from package softsqueeze-2.0-1
file /opt/softsqueeze/skin/slimdevices.jar from install of softsqueeze-2.0-1 conflicts with file from package softsqueeze-2.0-1
file /opt/softsqueeze/softsqueeze from install of softsqueeze-2.0-1 conflicts with file from package softsqueeze-2.0-1
file /opt/softsqueeze/softsqueezeHeadless from install of softsqueeze-2.0-1 conflicts with file from package softsqueeze-2.0-1

chrisla
2006-07-12, 20:13
Got it now. When I run it on my Fedora core 4 box, all is well. When I
run it on my damnsmall linux box I get the error:

PortAudio error: Host error.

Previous versions of squeezeslave worked on this same box.

Any idea what that means? Are there any debug flags I could turn on to
provide more info?

Thanks!

-Chris

On 7/12/06, rtitmuss
<rtitmuss.2atvbn1152699901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> chrisla Wrote:
> > I think the Linux squeezeslave tar file is corrupt, I have tried
> > uncompressing it on both Linux and OSX, from two different mirrors and
> > always get an unexpected end of file.
> >
>
> Yes, it looks like the file was truncated when I uploaded it. I have
> update the linux and OSX files, so they should work ok now.
>
> Richard
>
>
> --
> rtitmuss
>
>

rtitmuss
2006-07-13, 02:33
When I
run it on my damnsmall linux box I get the error:

PortAudio error: Host error.

Previous versions of squeezeslave worked on this same box.

This means that squeezeslave could not find any audio devices for playback. Do you have OSS installed? It's been a while since I worked on this code, but I don't remember making any changes to the audio layer.

Richard

rtitmuss
2006-07-13, 02:39
Is the rpm .spec file or an SRPM available somewhere? I can't seem to find them on sourceforge or in SVN. I'd like to try to fix this:

All the builds on sourceforge, including the RPM, are created using a tool called install4j. I will send a request to see if this can be fixed.

Actually looking at it again the version number in the rpm is wrong (2.0-1), do you think this would work ok if the version number was correctly updated in each release?

Richard

ralphy
2006-07-14, 02:53
I've run into this problem resently as well when starting squeezeslave from the init scripts.

Turns out, in my case anyway, that the read keypress loop "spins", due to not having a "true" pty to read from.

Try redirecting stdin and stdout to an unused pty.
I've also redirected stderr to the pty as well. Doing this dropped my CPU utilization to 60% on an old P133 MMX laptop I use to pipe music outside on the deck.

For example;

squeezeslave hostname < /dev/vc/8 > /dev/vc/8 2>&1

You can do a 'ps -fe | grep getty' to find out what your pty devices are and pick one that's not listed. Don't use '7' as it's usually reserved for X.

Mark Miksis
2006-07-15, 12:32
All the builds on sourceforge, including the RPM, are created using a tool called install4j. I will send a request to see if this can be fixed.

Actually looking at it again the version number in the rpm is wrong (2.0-1), do you think this would work ok if the version number was correctly updated in each release?

Richard
Yep, that's the whole problem AFAICT. It looks like the RPM always gets built as version 2.0, release 1. This leads to the file conflicts and also prevents yum from working since it always thinks
that a newer version is installed.

I don't know anything about install4j, but hopefully it's just a matter of some build script being told to feed it the correct version number. A fix would be much appreciated.

jonheal
2006-07-15, 15:54
I posted on another thread, but I'm not sure Mr. Titmuss is monitoring that one, so I'll try here. I've tried several versions of SoftSqueeze up to and including 2.8. I've had the same performance problems with all of the versions I've tried. I'm running it on Windows XP Pro. My collection is FLAC.

When I first start Softsqueeze, it works perfectly. CPU utilization about 5%. By the time it gets to the third song of any album, it stops playing mid-song. CPU utilization has climbed to about 85-90%. The interface is extremely sluggish at this point and it does not recover and less I quit and restart Softsqueeze.

This behavior is rendering it essentially unusable.

Softsqueeze is running on the same machine as Slimserver. My FLAC collection is on a network drive connected to an NSLU2.

Any ideas?

jonheal
2006-07-15, 16:24
I posted on another thread, but I'm not sure Mr. Titmuss is monitoring that one, so I'll try here. I've tried several versions of SoftSqueeze up to and including 2.8. I've had the same performance problems with all of the versions I've tried. I'm running it on Windows XP Pro. My collection is FLAC.

When I first start Softsqueeze, it works perfectly. CPU utilization about 5%. By the time it gets to the third song of any album, it stops playing mid-song. CPU utilization has climbed to about 85-90%. The interface is extremely sluggish at this point and it does not recover and less I quit and restart Softsqueeze.

This behavior is rendering it essentially unusable.

Softsqueeze is running on the same machine as Slimserver. My FLAC collection is on a network drive connected to an NSLU2.

Any ideas?
I've just watched Softsqueeze in Task Manager. I started playing an album. The first track was about 2 minutes long. Up to about 14 seconds before the end of the song, CPU utlization was about 3%. At the point it suddently jumped to 98%, at it stays pegged. I expect it to crap out any time soon.

chrisla
2006-07-17, 20:31
This version of squeezeslave seems to have lost its ability to be a
background process:

[root]# ./squeezeslave 10.0.0.61 --mac 02:00:00:00:00:00 &
[1] 9023
[root@vmonster SoftSqueeze-2.8]# Output devices:
0: /dev/dsp

[1]+ Stopped ./squeezeslave 10.0.0.61 --mac 02:00:00:00:00:00
[root]#
[root@vmonster SoftSqueeze-2.8]# bg
[1]+ ./squeezeslave 10.0.0.61 --mac 02:00:00:00:00:00 &
[root@vmonster SoftSqueeze-2.8]#

[1]+ Stopped ./squeezeslave 10.0.0.61 --mac 02:00:00:00:00:00
[root]# bg
[1]+ ./squeezeslave 10.0.0.61 --mac 02:00:00:00:00:00 &

Whatever I do, as soon as I hit return, it stops it.

vs:

[root]# ./squeezeslave-0.5.1 10.0.0.61 --mac 02:00:00:00:00:00 &
[2] 9045
[root]# Found 1 devices
/dev/dsp : 96000.000000 48000.000000 44100.000000 32000.000000
24000.000000 22050.000000 16000.000000 11025.000000 8000.000000 : 66

[root]#
[root]#
[root]#

I get the same results on both debian and fedora, any idea why this would be?
Without this, I can't really call it from a startup script, or embed it.
Thanks,

-Chris

On 7/13/06, rtitmuss
<rtitmuss.2avnob1152783301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> chrisla Wrote:
> > When I
> > run it on my damnsmall linux box I get the error:
> >
> > PortAudio error: Host error.
> >
> > Previous versions of squeezeslave worked on this same box.
> >
> >
>
> This means that squeezeslave could not find any audio devices for
> playback. Do you have OSS installed? It's been a while since I worked
> on this code, but I don't remember making any changes to the audio
> layer.
>
> Richard
>
>
> --
> rtitmuss
>
>

colin_young
2006-07-18, 05:26
I've experienced something similar with Softsqueeze 2.8. I've gone back to 2.3 and things seem to be working again for me (I wasn't able to run any of the versions between 2.3 and 2.8 -- they would just launch a jvm process and then nothing).

Colin

jonheal
2006-07-18, 08:34
Am I the only person experiencing pegged CPU utilization (and then stoppage in playback) after Softsqueeze has played for a bit?

I've tried versions 2.3, 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8. It sort of seems to be buffer related, but I've tried allocating obscene amounts of memory to the buffer to no avail. I've also tried the different sound driver selections. This has not solved the problem either.

My system is fairly plain vanilla XP pro. I'm running McAfee, Acronis True Image Home, and I have unique sound drivers (M-Audio), but other than that, I don't think I have much out-of-the-ordinary running as background processes.

Secret Squirrel
2006-07-18, 11:36
Jon,
No, you are not the only one seeing CPU Utilization pegged after playing. (I thought I was the only one!) Sometimes Softsqueeze will run many hours (5-8) then a total lockup. Others it will run a short time 30-45 minutes and I can close the process window and start over. The first thing that I had thought was that it was a memory leak in Firefox, but after changing the Firefox settings per another thread, I had no luck.
I too am running Windows XP Pro, with version 6.3.0 (I don't have the release number here at work but not the official release). I also have Norton Antivirus and Zone Alarm "lite" running. I'm open to try any suggestions. In most cases I have to just power down the box to regain control.

Secret

PS I'll disavow this email if questioned by Morroco Mole ;)

rtitmuss
2006-07-19, 03:02
Am I the only person experiencing pegged CPU utilization (and then stoppage in playback) after Softsqueeze has played for a bit?

No your not the only person with this problem. I had the first reports a few months ago, but cannot re-create this myself.

Can someone with this problem run Softsqueeze from the command prompt (using java -jar SoftSqueeze.jar). When the CPU is high press Ctrl-Break in the command prompt, two or three times with a few seconds apart. Then if you could post the stack traces I'll see if I can work out what has gone wrong.

Thanks,
Richard

jonheal
2006-07-19, 04:13
No your not the only person with this problem. I had the first reports a few months ago, but cannot re-create this myself.

Can someone with this problem run Softsqueeze from the command prompt (using java -jar SoftSqueeze.jar). When the CPU is high press Ctrl-Break in the command prompt, two or three times with a few seconds apart. Then if you could post the stack traces I'll see if I can work out what has gone wrong.

Thanks,
Richard
Thanks for the reply, Richard. I'll try it tonight. By the way, in my case CPU usage pegs 20 seconds before the end of a track.

jonheal
2006-07-20, 17:12

Thanks,
Richard
Richard,

Usually, the CPU pegs 20 seconds before the end of the first track I play. I noticed the message "frames decoded" at this point in the command window during the test. I don't know if that's a clue to the problem, or not.

I ran the command as you instructed. I pressed ctrl-break three times. The first time, I collected the output just after the CPU pegged, 20 seconds from the end of the second track. I pressed ctrl-break again about 10 seconds later. I pressed it a third time after SoftSqueeze playback froze, 22 seconds from the end of track 3.

The file you requested was too large to be displayed here and I have not had good luck up loading zips, so here's a link to the file:

http://www.theheals.org/misc/java_output.txt

rtitmuss
2006-07-24, 07:59
Usually, the CPU pegs 20 seconds before the end of the first track I play. I noticed the message "frames decoded" at this point in the command window during the test. I don't know if that's a clue to the problem, or not.

The file you requested was too large to be displayed here and I have not had good luck up loading zips, so here's a link to the file:

Jon, I have had a quick look at the trace and so far it appears to be a problem with the flac decoder. Do you also get this problem playing other formats, or just flac?

Thanks,
Richard

jonheal
2006-07-25, 02:23
Jon, I have had a quick look at the trace and so far it appears to be a problem with the flac decoder. Do you also get this problem playing other formats, or just flac?

Thanks,
Richard
Richard,

I have only one mp3 "album," but SoftSqueeze played it all the way through (10 tracks) without incident. The only thing I noticed was that memory usage slowly climbed during playback from about 46MB to 62MB, but then suddenly in the middle of track 9, it dropped to MB. By the end of track 10, it was up to about 38MB.

CPU usage remained stable throughout, generally between 3 and 6%. CPU usage does burp a bit at the -20 second mark. Do you do something at that point like get data for the next song in the playlist? The burp is nothing like the 99% CPU usage for FLACs, however, adn as I said playback was continuous and without incident. :-)

ymilner
2006-07-27, 06:10
SS 2.8 does not work reliably for me with transcoded FLACS over 2Mbps line. When I try to play something, the song may start initially, but the buffer does not get refilled, and after some 20 seconds the song stops.
Another symptom is that the audio does not start at all. The Server and Network Health page says Contrlol connection is congested.

Just istalled SS 2.3, and all works perfectly!

SlimServer Version: 6.3.1 - 8425 - Windows Server 2003 - EN - cp1251

NWP
2006-07-27, 23:34
I'm looking forward to trying out the new version of squeezeslave. Thank you for continuing to develop it.

dr_c
2007-05-19, 09:24
This version of squeezeslave seems to have lost its ability to be a
background process:

I've posted one possible fix for this issue here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35403

I've only tested this on Ubuntu / PPC, but it should work on other systems.

-Dr. C.