PDA

View Full Version : Compilation albums repeated in 6.3 browse albums list

MeSue
2006-07-10, 17:21
Okay, I upgraded from 6.2.2 to 6.3.1 the other day and now I have the problem of multiple artist albums being repeated in the browse albums list. I have read the multiple threads on this subject and tried everything I could make sense of from those threads, and still SlimServer is listing my compilation albums once for every song on the album. I also have at least one non-compilation album that is being split into 2 albums with half the songs under one listing and half under another.

What is the secret to getting these albums listed only once in the browse albums list?

I have SlimServer 6.3.1 on Win XP Pro.
Music is all MP3 files.
Using MusicMagic plugin.
J River Media Center is my tagger.
My directory structure organizes one album per folder.
Have removed and re-written tags for the problem albums.
Have refreshed all songs in MusicMagic database.
Don't use a compilation tag or even know how to set one.
Have cleared library and rescanned 4 times today.

I have been trying to solve this all day @ 3 hours per rescan and I'm not getting anywhere. Someone please help.

socialxray
2006-07-10, 21:09
I have a similiar problem but with only 1 album. My Clerks soundtrack is listed twice. One album has 1 song in it (Dante's Lament) and the other album has the rest of the songs. I have modified the tag, decoded, re-encoded the FLAC file and added the tag back. I have also not added a tag. I took the apostrophe out of the filename. I cannot get the 2 Clerks albums to merge. I am using 6.3.

socialxray
2006-07-10, 22:11
I did a bit a research and found that a few have had various versions of this problem. The fix is to set a field (or property or whatever it is called) in the tag called COMPILATION and give it a value of one. Then Clear and Rescan the library. You must clear and rescan for the tag to take effect.

I used Foobar2000 to do this and it was pretty easy. Highlight the song, right click -> properties. Click on the Add New button.

Unfortunately there was no provision in Media Monkey to add such a field so you will need a good tag editor (like Foobar2000).

bmountney
2006-07-10, 22:11
I was having the same problem, mostly with compilation albums, but with a few that were not compilations, as well. I tried enabling the COMPILATION tag on the problematic compilation ablums, but that didn't help -- and even if it had helped, it wouldn't have helped with the non-compilations that were exhibiting the problem.

Then I found that rescanning with the MusicMagic plugin disabled eliminated the problem. Re-enabling MusicMagic and rescanning brings it back again. As far as I can tell, there seems to be some problem with 6.3.x where it is not properly matching up the data imported from MusicMagic with that from its own scan.

MeSue
2006-07-11, 06:26
I found that rescanning with the MusicMagic plugin disabled eliminated the problem. Re-enabling MusicMagic and rescanning brings it back again. As far as I can tell, there seems to be some problem with 6.3.x where it is not properly matching up the data imported from MusicMagic with that from its own scan.

Has a bug report been opened for that yet? I *thought* I did a rescan with MM disabled yesterday and had the same problem, but I will try it again just to be sure. Did you disable MusicMagic from the "Don't use MusicMagic" setting on the main server settings page, or from the checkbox in the plugin settings page?

MeSue
2006-07-11, 16:10
Okay, I scanned with the "Don't use MusicMagic" setting and the duplication problem went away.
Here's a bug report: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3733

TimM
2006-07-12, 02:49
I was having the same problem, mostly with compilation albums, but with a few that were not compilations, as well. I tried enabling the COMPILATION tag on the problematic compilation ablums, but that didn't help -- and even if it had helped, it wouldn't have helped with the non-compilations that were exhibiting the problem.

Then I found that rescanning with the MusicMagic plugin disabled eliminated the problem. Re-enabling MusicMagic and rescanning brings it back again. As far as I can tell, there seems to be some problem with 6.3.x where it is not properly matching up the data imported from MusicMagic with that from its own scan.

Cheers for this, I moved up to 6.3, using MM as well and got exactly the same problem. Fortunately the track count remained correct but the compilation albums went insane. However after resetting the compilation value to 1 in foobar and re scanning, everything works again.

Perhaps it's worth putting this 'fix' up as a sticky. If a complete technical dunce like me can use Foobar to reset a tag value, then anyone can.

Tim

dlevine
2006-07-12, 20:46
I have the same problem. It affects both compilation and non-compilation albums.

I tried disabling the MusicMagic plugin but that did not fix the problem. I looked for a "Don't use MusicMagic" setting on the main server settings page (Home / Server Settings) and I don't see it anywhere. Am I missing something?

SlimServer Version: 6.3.0 - 8154 - Mac OS X 10.4.7 (8J2135) - EN - utf8

kdf
2006-07-12, 20:57
please add your voice to the bug report. Chris is looking to hear from
folks who are seeing dupes without musicmagic enabled.
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3658

-kdf

gorgenyi
2006-07-13, 03:10
I ahve the same problem, after installing v6.3.

Disabled all plugins, cleared and resacnned librray, but problem is still there.

I don't think it's plugin related.

Any development from the slimserver team?

Anyone knows where previous versions can be downloaded from? It's a really irritating bug!!!

stinkingpig
2006-07-14, 12:08
On 7/13/06, gorgenyi <gorgenyi.2avpiz1152785701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I ahve the same problem, after installing v6.3.
>
> Disabled all plugins, cleared and resacnned librray, but problem is
> still there.
>
> I don't think it's plugin related.
>
> Any development from the slimserver team?
>
> Anyone knows where previous versions can be downloaded from? It's a
> really irritating bug!!!
>
>
> --
> gorgenyi

Try a 6.3.1 nightly, this is being worked on. I don't know anything more
than that, I don't use Music Magic.

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

kdf
2006-07-14, 12:21
Any development from the slimserver team?

the answer to that has already been given in the thread. There are two bug reports related to this issue. You may find further comments there. There are some workarounds, and other as yet unreproduced isses. As such, certain unexplainable cases remain as known issues. If you can explain or provide more details, everyone involved will be very interested.

In most cases, 6.5 will solve the issues, but in it's current state, it isn't for everyone. If you wish to try it out, you can download here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.5

Please be aware that whiel the version string does report 6.5b1, this is still considered a development build, which eventually will be packaged as a 6.5b1 beta release. There are certainly issues that do remain, and making a backup of what you have now would be recommended.

downtime
2006-08-18, 06:35
The bug report was too complex for me to negotiate, but I did read what was written there. Here's my version of this problem.

I have very clean tags in MusicIP Mixer 1.6 beta 2. I'm running
SlimServer Version: 6.3.1 - 8468 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

With Music Folder set to an empty folder and Use MusicMagic enabled, I execute Clear library and rescan everything.

Afterwards, after selecting Browse Albums, Albums with more than one artist get listed once for each artist.

All other library statistics seem to be fine.

I noticed that one of the suggestions in the bug report had to do with the album artist tag. I bought an iRiver Clix that has to use Windows Media Player to load. WMP reads album artist tag rather than the artist tag. So, to get the files to show up correctly, I had to copy all of the artist tags into the album artist tags. So, I'd rather not have to change those again for this piece of software.

Thanks for your work on this bug.