PDA

View Full Version : internet radio buffering

woo
2006-07-09, 16:47
I use slimserver to listen to internet radio on my sony clie th55. For certain stations, my clie has to buffer every 10-30 seconds when listening through slimserver. But when I listen directly to the stream, there is no buffering problem. Slimserver has a much better interface to organize my playlists than the clie, so I would like to use it as my primary jukebox, but is there anything that can be done to reduce buffering with slimserver? thanks

-Dave

stinkingpig
2006-07-09, 18:02
On 7/9/06, woo <woo.2apclb1152489001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> I use slimserver to listen to internet radio on my sony clie th55. For
> certain stations, my clie has to buffer every 10-30 seconds when
> listening through slimserver. But when I listen directly to the
> stream, there is no buffering problem. Slimserver has a much better
> interface to organize my playlists than the clie, so I would like to
> use it as my primary jukebox, but is there anything that can be done to
> reduce buffering with slimserver? thanks
>
> -Dave
>

In the Slimserver web interface, go to player settings for your clie and
tell it to transcode down to the minimum bandwidth.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

woo
2006-07-09, 18:16
I don't think bitrate or bandwidth is the problem. My clie has no problem receiving streams of 256+ from local music on my computer and some internet stations stream fine at 160. But for others, it constantly buffers at 128K or less (although, again I have no problem listening to these directly rather than through slimserver). Interestingly, I upgraded to 6.5 and the buffering problem seems to be resolved, but there are too many interface problems with firefox to use this full time yet. LImiting the bitrate could be a temporary solution, but I'd really like to figure out why slimserver has trouble with certain streams and not others at the same bitrate.