PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway to save a "zapped" playlist with a new title from the remote?

gdg
2006-07-09, 14:27
Creating a playlist by "zapping" is great. The problem is that I can't seem to change and save a new title of this playlist using the remote. I can rewrite the title by writing over the zapped title but I can't seem to save it. Any suggestions?

kdf
2006-07-09, 17:03
Browse-> playlists -> zapped
press play.
press NOW PLAYING

press-and-hold PLAY
that should now let you enter a playlist title and press RIGHT to save
as that title.
-kdf

gdg
2006-07-09, 17:23
K,
For some reason this doesn't work. K,
After entering the title and pressing ">" I exit the edit title mode and everything looks fine. BUT when I go back and browse the playlist the new titel isn't there and the zapped playlist remains.

Philip Meyer
2006-07-10, 11:55
>Creating a playlist by "zapping" is great. The problem is that I can't
>seem to change and save a new title of this playlist using the remote.
>I can rewrite the title by writing over the zapped title but I can't
>seem to save it. Any suggestions?

I created a plugin called "PlaylistMan" that replaces/extends the zap functionality.

When pressing Add.Hold, the plugin presents a menu from which you can select a playlist to add the track to (there's a zap option still to retain the standard functionality).

The first version contained hard-coded playlist names - "Bad Music" and "Bad Tags" (though these are easy to hand-modify by tweaking the plugin code).

http://www.hergest.demon.co.uk/Music/slim/PlaylistManPlugin.htm

I enhanced this further to allow the playlist names to be configured through plugin preferences, but that version caused problems with a version of slimserver and I never published it (trying to get it to work in a future version still).

I believe a few other people extended this plugin to further allow any existing playlist to be selected.

I am in the process of enhancing the plugin further. However, this has stalled temporarily, as I moved recently to 6.5 beta, which is a bit instable at the moment. It works when saving to a new playlist or a playlist created by the plugin, but doesn't work correctly when a pre-existing playlist is selected.

Phil

gdg
2006-07-10, 16:16
Since one can rename and save a zapped playlist at the computer I would sure like to see Slimdevices make that functionality available at the remote. One would think that shouldn't be a huge problem.
Anyway if this can ever be achieved it will be a HUGE improvement in the funcitionality and flexibility of the SB.
Gerry

tgoldstone
2006-07-10, 17:12
I modded the playlistman plugin to allow creating new playlists on the fly and saving to pre-existing playlists. I will post the modded plugin when I get home. It works for 6.3.X

tgoldstone
2006-07-10, 19:52
Here is the modded version of playlistman.

It will allow you to save the currently playing track to either an existing playlist, or to a new playlist which you can then name.

This has been bravely tested with 6.3.X but won't work with 6.5. Philip is working on that version.

To use press the "now playing" button when listening to the track you want to save. Then press and hold the "Add" button. You will then get the options to save.

Have fun!

gdg
2006-07-10, 21:33
Wow T,
Thanx for help!!!!
Gerry

gdg
2006-07-10, 21:44
Isn't a plugin a program not a text file?
Gerry

gdg
2006-07-10, 21:48
Dang,
I'm not a programer. I have no idea how to implememt this. Thanx anyway T.
Gerry

kdf
2006-07-10, 21:56
On 10-Jul-06, at 9:44 PM, gdg wrote:

>
> Isn't a plugin a program not a text file?
>
it's a text file. Save it with the extension .pm in your Plugins
folder (you'll find other .pm files there, like Rescan.pm)
Restart the server and it will be installed.

I've also noticed that there DOES appear to be a problem with the
existing savePlaylist features. However, I haven't had time to narrow
it down for a report just yet. I'm having aproblem with softsqueeze on
6.3 which is buggering my ability to test.
-kdf

kdf
2006-07-11, 11:06
gdg,

if it is any consolation, the ability to rename and resave the zapped playlist does work currently in 6.5.

oddly, I also just checked with 6.3.1, most recent copy of code from subversion, and I was able to load the Zapped Songs, press-and-hold PLAY to go into save as, edit the name (which appeared as Zapped Songs to start with) and press RIGHT to save. This new playlist was then in both the web listing and player UI listing under playlists. This was all using softsqueeze 2.8, which will be in tomorrow's nightly build.

-kdf

gdg
2006-07-14, 17:03
I got your plugin up and running. Is there any way to rename the playlist from the remote or at least configure a bunch of empty playlists that would accessable via this plugin?
Gerry

gdg
2006-07-14, 17:16
I can access badmusic, morning alarm etc but I can't make up my own names from the remote. That was my origonal problem.

gdg
2006-07-14, 17:25
I just had to figure out how to navigate the menu. This does EVERYTHING I was looking for. Thanx so much!
Gerry

tgoldstone
2006-07-14, 22:21
Yeah now that I have looked at the strings again, I probably could have named mine a little better. Let me see what I can do...

Cheers to Philip Meyer for creating a great plugin!

gdg
2006-07-14, 22:30
Now that I've figured out how to use it the issue of the default names is trivial. The fact that one couldn't build playlists "on the fly" from the listening chair was my only complaint about the Squeezebox. This plugin answers all my prayers.
Thanx again,
Gerry

Philip Meyer
2006-07-15, 11:56
>Now that I've figured out how to use it the issue of the default names
>is trivial.
>
It's easy to change the default names by editing the plugin code (using any text editor). Just do a search for one of the existing default names, and either change it, or add another one to the list.

>This plugin answers all my prayers.
The next version will be better, and hopefully be configurable through the web interface. It will be 6.5 only though.

Phil

gdg
2006-07-15, 13:03
Thanx Phil,
Nice pluggin by the way. I sure am glad to have it!
Gerry

Wasaia
2006-11-14, 14:46
Any news on a working version for 6.5? Hoping...

Wasaia
2006-11-14, 14:54
I saw in another thread the answer to my question above. So there IS a version working with 6.5 :) Great!