PDA

View Full Version : Can wireless SB3 be wired?

grimholtz
2006-07-08, 18:46
Hi,

I purchased a WiFi SB3 but now the SB3 happens to be located 1 foot from my router. Is there any way to configure the Ethernet pass-thru/bridge port to be a standard Ethernet input? IOW, I don't need wifi anymore and would prefer to run the SB3 wired.

Thanks for any help,
grimholtz

shabbs
2006-07-08, 19:00
I purchased a WiFi SB3 but now the SB3 happens to be located 1 foot from my router. Is there any way to configure the Ethernet pass-thru/bridge port to be a standard Ethernet input? IOW, I don't need wifi anymore and would prefer to run the SB3 wired.
Shouldn't you just be able to plug into the Ethernet port on the back? From the product info on Slim's page:

Ethernet Interface
* Available on both Wireless and Wired models

Cheers.

grimholtz
2006-07-08, 19:53
Yeah, I know it comes in both models... but when you buy the wireless model, they say the ethernet port on the wireless model is for bridging another device (e.g., Tivo) which isn't Wifi. I guess I can just plug it in and see what happens?

Kevin O. Lepard
2006-07-08, 20:12
>I don't need wifi anymore and would prefer to run the SB3 wired.

Just hook it to a switch or a port on your router; It'll work fine.
That is how I use most of mine.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

grimholtz
2006-07-08, 20:43
Well, I initially got a "malloc failed" error on the SB3 display (problem allocating memory!), but the unit rebooted itself and now all is good.

Thanks!

Michaelwagner
2006-07-08, 21:53
Well, I initially got a "malloc failed" error on the SB3 display (problem allocating memory!)
You did? On the SB3 display?
I don't think the SB is running any kind of C run time.

JJZolx
2006-07-08, 23:06
You did? On the SB3 display?
I don't think the SB is running any kind of C run time.
I've seen malloc errors. I thought I read somewhere that the the firmware is written in C.

Michaelwagner
2006-07-09, 06:57
I've seen malloc errors. I thought I read somewhere that the the firmware is written in C.
Oh, well, then I stand corrected. Sorry. It just seemed so out of context - like seeing a malloc() error on your television or microwave or something.