PDA

View Full Version : What (simple) remote does work well with the squeezebox?

metropole
2006-07-08, 12:15
I would like to get rid of more remotes.
My current setup for the Squeezebox:
Squeezebox connected through optical cable to a Yamaha receiver.
The receiver is dedicated to this installation.
With other words I'm looking for a simple remote that can duplicate the Squeezebox functionality and switch on/off the receiver in one shot as well as volume control.

Any suggested remotes?

ceejay
2006-07-09, 00:03
Does the Yamaha receiver's remote have a learning capability? If so you should be able to set it up to control the SB...

Ceejay

davidcotton
2006-07-09, 01:14
Had a look at the harmony range of remotes? I use mine to control my squeezebox, sky+box and dvd player!

LHawes
2006-07-09, 09:59
Had a look at the harmony range of remotes? I use mine to control my squeezebox, sky+box and dvd player!

David which Harmony do you use? I read some really bad reviews of their latest.

Does it offer the same functionality as the SD remote?

And if you don't mind, what is sky+box?

Larry

metropole
2006-07-09, 11:56
I don't think that the Yamaha remote has a learning capability.
In an other room I'm using the Harmony 688 (which I love).
But the (today's) Harmony remotes seem to be overkill for this setup.

radish
2006-07-09, 14:46
I swear by the Harmony remotes (I use the 880) but I'm not sure if they qualify as "simple". Simpler than a Pronto or something for sure.

andy_c
2006-07-09, 16:20
I don't think that the Yamaha remote has a learning capability.
In an other room I'm using the Harmony 688 (which I love).
But the (today's) Harmony remotes seem to be overkill for this setup.

A while back, I was looking for cheap remotes at the remotecentral.com site. They reviewed the $35 Sony RM-VL710 very favorably, essentially saying it was the best of the cheap remotes. It controls 5 devices. I went to BestBuy in an attempt to buy one, but they didn't have it. They only had the RM-VL600, which controls 8 devices and costs $25. I went back home and looked at remotecentral.com in the user forums for info about the RM-VL600. Turns out the RM-VL710 is discontinued, and the RM-VL600 is its replacement. The users that had them were very happy with them. So I ended up buying one. I have it controlling the Squeezebox and a Parasound ZPre2 preamp. It works great - I am very happy with it. And for $25 you can hardly lose.

LHawes
2006-07-09, 21:34
Just picked up an RM-VL600 from Circuit City for $24.99, so far not so good. It will turn ON my Harmon Kardon receiver OR turn it off using spearate function keys but will not do both from the power button and single function key. Probably just a strange setup HK decided was the best for their remote but for the Sony it doesn't look like it will work.

Also when I play the SqueezeBox from the RM-VL600 it's like it is playing two songs at once. Could be user error as I just started palying with it but pretty frustrating. I'll give a heads up if anything changes.

Larry

andy_c
2006-07-10, 08:18
When recording the keystroke from the original remote, I had problems if I pressed and held its key too long. For example, with the volume on my preamp I was getting a double increment with a single volume control press of the Sony remote. I found that when recording, if I just pressed the key of the original remote briefly it fixed that problem. Once the keystroke is stored, if you want to change it you have to go through the keystroke erase procedure first.

Sounds like you may have pressed and held the play key, generating multiple codes, and the Sony may have recorded that. So when playing it back, it's as if you had pressed the play button multiple times. It's just a guess, but it sounds similar to what happened to me.

I have my preamp assigned to the "Amp" device key, and the SB to the "tape" key. That way, the volume control controls the volume of the preamp regardless of whether the SB or preamp is the current device.

brucegrr
2006-07-10, 09:21
I use a One for All remote URC 613NW, 12.99 at Wal-Mart to control the following:

Squeezebox
Adelphia DVR Cable Box
Pioneer BSX 515
RCA DVD 5 Disc Player
Phillips TV

Works great.The only time I have to use the Squeezebox remote is when I upgrade the firmware.
It also won't change the tuner input on my DVR.

I was surprised when this cheap remote actually worked. I did have to call One for ALL for a code for the code for the DVR box.

LHawes
2006-07-10, 10:02
When recording the keystroke from the original remote, I had problems if I pressed and held its key too long. For example, with the volume on my preamp I was getting a double increment with a single volume control press of the Sony remote. I found that when recording, if I just pressed the key of the original remote briefly it fixed that problem. Once the keystroke is stored, if you want to change it you have to go through the keystroke erase procedure first.

Sounds like you may have pressed and held the play key, generating multiple codes, and the Sony may have recorded that. So when playing it back, it's as if you had pressed the play button multiple times. It's just a guess, but it sounds similar to what happened to me.

I have my preamp assigned to the "Amp" device key, and the SB to the "tape" key. That way, the volume control controls the volume of the preamp regardless of whether the SB or preamp is the current device.

Yeah Andy, I'm pretty sure it's user error as far as the SB goes. I'll try again tonight. And the Harmon Kardon remote actually has one button to power on and one button to power off. Makes it so I have to assign say the 'VCR' button to power off and the 'AMP' button to power on. I may set up two series of commands down on the sytem control A B C D buttons one to turn it on and one to turn it off.

For the TV and DVR it works as advertised. Thanks for the heads up.

Larry

LHawes
2006-07-10, 17:37

I think you nailed the problem. Tried it again and it works great. I prefer working the volume from the SB though and it seems to be a bit tempermental. I think a little mote homework should fix that as well.

Thanks for the help.

Larry

metropole
2006-07-11, 17:27
Looks like the Sony RM-VL600 is the simplest so far. I wish it would have even less buttons...

Has anyone used the One-For-All products?
http://www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC%203300
http://www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC3110

I know, really not a beautiful design. But from a button perspective?

LHawes
2006-07-11, 17:40
Looks like the Sony RM-VL600 is the simplest so far. I wish it would have even less buttons...

Has anyone used the One-For-All products?
http://www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC%203300
http://www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC3110

I know, really not a beautiful design. But from a button perspective?

I'm not sure it's that simple, but just like The Squeeze Box, worth the effort. Got it pretty much set up now and it's one touch for the TV/DVR and another for the receiver/Squeeze Box. I've got a pretty simple set-up but it seems like it will handle some pretty complex systems. Certainly a value.

Now I need to figure out how to control my new separate amp an ATI 1502 with no remote triggers. Should be interesting.