PDA

View Full Version : Browsing lists with SqueezeBox?

robbyx
2006-07-08, 00:41
I'm considering switching from a Roku SoundBridge to a SqueezeBox. I have a question about browsing lists on the SqueezeBox, though.

One of the things that drives me NUTS on the SoundBridge is having to scroll forever. For example, I have 250 artists that begin with S. Let's say that I want to select "Smith & Mighty." They're at about the middle of the list. So, what do I do? Click the right button on the remote until I reach S, then start scrolling.

This could be made much faster if one could jump by the first two letters of the list data, not just the first. So, instead of going from "S" to "T", one would go from "S" to "Sa" to "Sc" to "Se", etc.

Is this possible with the SqueezeBox, or will I also have to scroll through a huge list to find what I want? I don't like using "Search" features, FYI, so that isn't an option. I want quick and efficient access via a list view.

If the SqueezeBox doesn't support this feature, might I suggest adding it. My suggestion is using one set of buttons (ie: right and left) to move from one letter of the alphabet to the next, while a second set (ie: rewind and fast forward) jump two letters at a time.

For users such as myself (large library), this would make browsing so much faster. If SqueezeBox offers this today, I'll order one right now. If not, I'll wait to see who adds the feature first, Roku or Slim Devices.

Any thoughts?

matthijskoopmans
2006-07-08, 03:23
I'm considering switching from a Roku SoundBridge to a SqueezeBox. I have a question about browsing lists on the SqueezeBox, though.

One of the things that drives me NUTS on the SoundBridge is having to scroll forever. For example, I have 250 artists that begin with S. Let's say that I want to select "Smith & Mighty." They're at about the middle of the list. So, what do I do? Click the right button on the remote until I reach S, then start scrolling.

This could be made much faster if one could jump by the first two letters of the list data, not just the first. So, instead of going from "S" to "T", one would go from "S" to "Sa" to "Sc" to "Se", etc.

Is this possible with the SqueezeBox, or will I also have to scroll through a huge list to find what I want? I don't like using "Search" features, FYI, so that isn't an option. I want quick and efficient access via a list view.

If the SqueezeBox doesn't support this feature, might I suggest adding it. My suggestion is using one set of buttons (ie: right and left) to move from one letter of the alphabet to the next, while a second set (ie: rewind and fast forward) jump two letters at a time.

For users such as myself (large library), this would make browsing so much faster. If SqueezeBox offers this today, I'll order one right now. If not, I'll wait to see who adds the feature first, Roku or Slim Devices.

Any thoughts?

Although you may not like Search (???), but you might want to try the 'Lazy Search' plugin. And you can try it before buying a Squeezebox: download Slimserver, install the lazy search plug in, and have a try with Softsqueeze.

Cheers,

Matt

bpa
2006-07-08, 03:39
Load up Slimserver and SoftSqueeze and try it out. There are a number of plugins which provide additional functionality such as Lazy Search (http://hickinbottom.demon.co.uk/lazysearch/wiki/AboutLazySearch ) so it is work checking the plugins out as well.

Although the Roku can be used with Slimserver - its remote control does not have the numeric keys needed for letter based search.

Description of remote control base functionality is here
http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_remotes.html