PDA

View Full Version : When did the Slim Devices homepage start to appear in SlimServer?

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-06, 15:32
Got a strange surprise just now.

SlimServer is attempting to load Slim Devices' home page. It puts it at the top of the SS Home and underneath Server Settings.

For some reason all the images are broken so it looks like hell, plus it won't fit in the left-hand pane. Also this isn't information I really need to know.

I've been running 6.3.0 official for some time now and this is the first I've seen of it. Since no one else has remarked on it and you'd have to be blind to miss it I'm thinking it's an error of some kind?

Any advice for getting rid of it?

BTW below it are all the proper SS items. SS appears to be running fine otherwise.

Weird.

spafonyx
2006-07-06, 18:45
Got a strange surprise just now.

SlimServer is attempting to load Slim Devices' home page. It puts it at the top of the SS Home and underneath Server Settings.

For some reason all the images are broken so it looks like hell, plus it won't fit in the left-hand pane. Also this isn't information I really need to know.

I've been running 6.3.0 official for some time now and this is the first I've seen of it. Since no one else has remarked on it and you'd have to be blind to miss it I'm thinking it's an error of some kind?

Any advice for getting rid of it?

BTW below it are all the proper SS items. SS appears to be running fine otherwise.

Weird.

Actually, someone else reported the same thing just this morning (EST) and I had it happen today as well. The fix for me was to restart the slimserver service (winxp), but that didn't work for the other fellow (linkstation).

windowshade
2006-07-06, 19:36
Yup. I've gone back to 6.5b1: more reliable.

riff
2006-07-06, 21:30
I have this mess too and I don't like it one bit. I hope it's a mistake and not intentional. ;)

kdf
2006-07-06, 21:53
On 6-Jul-06, at 9:30 PM, riff wrote:

>
> I have this mess too and I don't like it one bit. I hope it's a mistake
> and not intentional. ;)
>
the slim devices server was moved yesterday. The link for the logo on
the homepage points to the slim devices site. it is possible that
something in there mixed it up. the released codes can't really just
change itself overnight, so it should be cleared up once the dns nodes
get caught up.
-k

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-07, 05:26
Loading the SS web page was pretty slow when it was trying to pull in Slim Device's entire site. But last night, it stopped loading altogether.

spafonyx suggestion of restarting the server was the correct one, it resolved the issue completely.

I believe kdf is on to something. The error is pretty specific yet it can't be hardcoded into the software.

Anyway, problem resolved. Thanks.

TiredLegs
2006-07-07, 08:19
The link for the logo on the homepage points to the slim devices site.
Does anyone other than me find it disturbing that a page residing on a local device has to reach out across the internet every time it starts up just to load a logo?
What if someone wants a LAN-only set up detached from the internet?
Why isn't the logo just embedded in the SlimServer program?

seanadams
2006-07-07, 08:29
Does anyone other than me find it disturbing that a page residing on a local device has to reach out across the internet every time it starts up just to load a logo?
What if someone wants a LAN-only set up detached from the internet?
Why isn't the logo just embedded in the SlimServer program?

Let's not jump to conclusions.... we'll find out soon why it was doing this.

kdf
2006-07-07, 08:31
On 7-Jul-06, at 8:19 AM, TiredLegs wrote:

>>
> Does anyone other than me find it disturbing that a page residing on a
> local device has to reach out across the internet every time it starts
> up just to load a logo?

it doesn't. the image is local, but the link is a hyperlink.
> What if someone wants a LAN-only set up detached from the internet?

then don't click it.
> Why isn't the logo just embedded in the SlimServer program?
>
it is. the comment was a stretch, since it is very nearly impossible
for the html code to just suddenly change (and coincide with a change
in dns lookup for one link)
you cancel red alert now, unless it means changing the bulb.
-k

oreillymj
2006-07-07, 08:35
Hmmm, my Slimdevices logo is coming from my local Server.
http://slimserver:9000/html/images/slimdevices_logo.gif

Unless Slimserver is doing some sort of server-side include to point to the logo file on their server, this would appear to be served from a local copy.

BTW - it would be useful for Slim to serve this image to users. They could then look at unique ip's in their web-server log's to see how many people are running their software.

TiredLegs
2006-07-07, 08:43
Based on the latest posts from kdf and oreillymj, I guess I was jumping to conclusions.

And it's nice to know that the CEO is paying attention to his customers and product. I have faith that whatever the problem is, the folks at Slim Devices will find it and fix it, unlike another company (not Roku) who's media player I own that still hasn't fixed major bugs that were present since day one.

Dan Sully
2006-07-07, 14:00
This is likely a result of us moving our webserver yesterday.

There was a redirect put in place to send people that had the old DNS to the new server. I'll postulate that the code that checks to see if SlimServer is up to date got the redirect, and sent you to the main page.

In any event, the redirect server is down now (as DNS has propagated).

Please check and make sure that:

www.slimdevices.com (or update.slimdevices.com) resolves to:

Thanks

dean
2006-07-07, 14:02
That _is_ strange. The next time it happens, please do a view source on that frame and attach the contents to the thread. I suspect that the HTML is corrupted and that the _link_ to the Slim Devices web page got turned into an embed or something...

MrSinatra
2006-07-07, 14:12
i think what a previous poster said made sense...

if users could toggle the option, i think it would make sense for the company to have their software report back what version it is, and on what OS its running. feedback can be very useful, inclduing for tracking crashes.

some kind of feedback should be available to the company imo, and i think it should be by default. let the paranoid have a toggle to deactivate it if they so choose, (or those without net).

besides, doesn't the squeezebox itself constantly update your IP to SN anyway? if so, whats the difference?

kdf
2006-07-07, 14:26
Quoting MrSinatra <MrSinatra.2alg2z1152306901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> if users could toggle the option, i think it would make sense for the
> company to have their software report back what version it is, and on
> what OS its running.

it is already a toggle, and it only submits the software version
number. If there is a newer version available, the web interface can
then make the user aware of it.
-k

MrSinatra
2006-07-07, 14:32
right you are kdf, i forgot. i for one would have no problem with reporting more info back, pretty much whatever SD wanted to know. i bet many users would participate in such a program. does SD know how many installs call back?

can you please answer this if you know:

"besides, doesn't the squeezebox itself constantly update your IP to SN anyway? if so, whats the difference?"

kdf
2006-07-07, 14:39
Quoting MrSinatra <MrSinatra.2alh0b1152308101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> right you are kdf, i forgot. i for one would have no problem with
> reporting more info back, pretty much whatever SD wanted to know. i
> bet many users would participate in such a program.

case in point: the infomation passed on through forums and bugzilla :)

> can you please answer this if you know:
>
> "besides, doesn't the squeezebox itself constantly update your IP to SN
> anyway? if so, whats the difference?"

I'm not sure about this one. I believe the IP address is coded into
the firmware as a fallback in case the dns doesn't resolve the url.
I'm not involved in anything SN or firmware related, since both are
closed source.
-k

radish
2006-07-07, 16:31
"besides, doesn't the squeezebox itself constantly update your IP to SN anyway? if so, whats the difference?"

If your SB is connected to SN, then yes, the SN servers know the IP. But many SBs are never connected to SN (mine aren't), and in a typical home situation using a NAT router with more than one SB the figure recorded by SN would be inaccurate. So while they could get a figure, it wouldn't be a very representitive one - and seeing as they know exactly how many SBs are out there it would also be a pretty pointless exercise :)

MrSinatra
2006-07-07, 17:40
If your SB is connected to SN, then yes, the SN servers know the IP. But many SBs are never connected to SN (mine aren't),

have you ever used SN? i'm a newbie, but i think i merely entered a pin at the SN website to identify my SB and SN knew EXACTLY where it was, which leads me to believe the SB is always calling home, not that that bothers me. (perhaps my recollection is wrong, but i'm pretty sure that right)

when logged into the website, you can click "Squeezeboxes" and it lists the box with teh IP for your cable modem.

and in a typical home situation using a NAT router with more than one SB the figure recorded by SN would be inaccurate.

i don't see how nat comes into it. with just the cable modem IP it lists, it can find the SB whever it is behind my cable modem and router.

So while they could get a figure, it wouldn't be a very representitive one - and seeing as they know exactly how many SBs are out there it would also be a pretty pointless exercise :)

1. of course they know how many they've sold.
2. if it [the hardware] does always phone home, they'd know how many have net.
3. my point in saying all that, was who cares if SS calls home or not, if the SB is hardwired to always call home anyway.

thats the point i was making, not a numbers one.

radish
2006-07-07, 20:33
have you ever used SN?
Actually no, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

i'm a newbie, but i think i merely entered a pin at the SN website to identify my SB and SN knew EXACTLY where it was, which leads me to believe the SB is always calling home, not that that bothers me. (perhaps my recollection is wrong, but i'm pretty sure that right)

When you create an account you tell it the PIN from your SB. That PIN is unique to the SB, every one is different. Then when your SB tries to connect to SN it says "my PIN is xxxx" and the SN servers know which account to tie it to. The IP is just the IP which the SB happens to be connecting from today (which could change and may not be unique, hence why the PIN is needed). I don't see why that makes you think the SB "calls home" and in fact I'm 99.999% sure it doesn't. I know for a fact mine don't, because they live on a private subnet and can't see the outside world.

i don't see how nat comes into it. with just the cable modem IP it lists, it can find the SB whever it is behind my cable modem and router.

NAT would come into it if you're simply counting IPs, but you're right, in the specific case of SN it has the PIN mechanism which would give a more accurate count.

1. of course they know how many they've sold.

Indeed.

2. if it [the hardware] does always phone home, they'd know how many have net.

It doesn't, and I'm not sure how much they would care. They know how many people use SN, which is a useful figure, but how many SBs can find a connection to the outside world? I'm not sure how useful that information would be.

3. my point in saying all that, was who cares if SS calls home or not, if the SB is hardwired to always call home anyway.

Well I would care, and I think a number of other people would as well. Luckily, I know that doesn't happen - and that's just another reason to love the open source nature of Slimserver.

MrSinatra
2006-07-07, 22:15
yeah... i made a mistake...

apparently when u add a SB to SN you're supposed to follow these steps, and i would guess in so doing, thats when it calls home:

Step 1: Connect your Squeezebox to SqueezeNetwork.
If you are connected to SlimServer, browse to Squeezebox Home -> SqueezeNetwork to connect. The first time you connect, your Squeezebox will prompt you to choose a language and timezone.

Step 2: Get your PIN.
Your Player Identification Number identifies your Squeezebox to the SqueezeNetwork. When your player first connects to the SqueezeNetwork, you will be provided with a PIN. If you don't remember this PIN, with your remote go to Settings -> Squeezebox PIN to display a new PIN.

Step 3: Enter your PIN below.Your Player Identification Number identifies your Squeezebox to the SqueezeNetwork. When your player first connects to the SqueezeNetwork, you will be provided with a PIN. If you don't remember this PIN, with your remote go to Settings -> Squeezebox PIN to display a new PIN.

i just don't remember doing any of that... fact is, i'm losing my mind b/c i don't know how i got my pin... i know i skipped the first step via the SB b/c i did that at the SN website b4 i did the rest, but i don't recall what i did after that. i know its probably not the case that my SB just offered up my pin, but thats the only part i remember next, my pin was there on the SB display (which i do recall surprised me) and i entered it into the website.

i wish i had a second one to do it all over again with.

my next concern is does it from now on only update my IP when i connect to SN? or does it update it as my IP changes? (meaning, will SN always know my IP as long as SB is connected to SN? or does it only know it at the time when initially connecting?)

or, is it possible that it knows the IP from now on, connected to SN or not? on or off? i ask b/c you can "power" the device on and off from the website itself.

it would be nice is it could act as a defacto ddns service. (if i'm using the right acronym)

as to the info... i am a believer that as much info can be automatically fedback as possible is good. sure, make it anonymous, or voluntary, or whatever... but just knowing how people use the SBs is useful. how many use it for SN? SS? with the net? with no net? what version of teh software? etc... if no one used it on the net, or say, only with SN... (or whatever percentages) this lets them know where and how its being used, and not being used.

i would like the SN website to be a gateway to my slimserver. if it tracks my IP dynamically, it would be easy to do this, and even assign it a sub-domain, eg: MrSinatra.squeezenetwork.com

finally, obviously people will care if SS calls home if the SB isn't always calling home. i just thought it did, b/c i apparently forgot a step.

radish
2006-07-08, 09:08
my next concern is does it from now on only update my IP when i connect to SN? or does it update it as my IP changes? (meaning, will SN always know my IP as long as SB is connected to SN? or does it only know it at the time when initially connecting?)

The SN servers "know" your IP whenever your SB is connected to SN - they have to in order to be able to establish a connection. Whether that information is recorded in any meaningful way I have no idea.

or, is it possible that it knows the IP from now on, connected to SN or not? on or off? i ask b/c you can "power" the device on and off from the website itself.

The SB can be in one of four states:
1. Connected to Slimserver ("on" or "off")
2. Connected to Squeezenetwork ("on" or "off")
3. Not on a network
4. Physically powered down (power disconnected)

Only number 2 involves a connection to Squeezenetwork (or indeed anywhere in the outside world) and that's the only state in which the SN servers would have your IP. It doesn't matter whether the player is "on" or "off" as all that affects is the screen brightness.

it would be nice is it could act as a defacto ddns service. (if i'm using the right acronym)

That's actually a pretty good idea :) An interesting extra service SD could offer for little or no cost. Of course it would only work while your SB was connected to SN, but still fun.

MrSinatra
2006-07-08, 13:02
The SN servers "know" your IP whenever your SB is connected to SN - they have to in order to be able to establish a connection. Whether that information is recorded in any meaningful way I have no idea.

i don't care if its recorded, i just want to know if my IP dynamically updates b/c my isp does it, will SN know on the fly? or at all?

also, i wonder if after you setup and connect it just once to SN, it keeps updating the IP, b/c it might... right? it is possible. if it did, it could do my ddns idea. and since you can control the device and connect to SN thru the website, i would think it does, (unless its simply "hoping" you're at your last known IP).

The SB can be in one of four states:
1. Connected to Slimserver ("on" or "off")
2. Connected to Squeezenetwork ("on" or "off")
3. Not on a network
4. Physically powered down (power disconnected)

Only number 2 involves a connection to Squeezenetwork (or indeed anywhere in the outside world) and that's the only state in which the SN servers would have your IP. It doesn't matter whether the player is "on" or "off" as all that affects is the screen brightness.

but how do you know that after the initial setup that SB doesn't keep updating SN with your IP, connected to SN or not?

not saying you're wrong, just curious how you know.

That's actually a pretty good idea :) An interesting extra service SD could offer for little or no cost. Of course it would only work while your SB was connected to SN, but still fun.

thx. i would love to be able to 24/7/365 track my ip by the simple virtue of having a SB and having done the one time, initial connection, with it updating the info ever after.

like i said, they could connect the info your SB gives to a sub domain, and you could always access your IP, i think this is something they should consider asap.

radish
2006-07-08, 13:47
i don't care if its recorded, i just want to know if my IP dynamically updates b/c my isp does it, will SN know on the fly? or at all?
I'm not sure how much clearer I can make this - if you're connected to SN (or any server for that matter) it knows your IP. Period. That's how TCP/IP works.

and since you can control the device and connect to SN thru the website, i would think it does, (unless its simply "hoping" you're at your last known IP).

As far as I know you cannot connect your SB to SN from the website (in fact, I can't think of any way that would be possible). You can control it while it's connected, including switching it on and off, but it remains connected even when "off".

but how do you know that after the initial setup that SB doesn't keep updating SN with your IP, connected to SN or not?

not saying you're wrong, just curious how you know.

Because it's not needed for the SN functionality and I have absolute faith in SD to not include things like that.

like i said, they could connect the info your SB gives to a sub domain, and you could always access your IP, i think this is something they should consider asap.
I'm still not really sure what you'd use it for, and plenty of ddns services already exist - so why not use one of them? Slim have plenty of things to be doing right now :)

MrSinatra
2006-07-08, 14:36
I'm not sure how much clearer I can make this - if you're connected to SN (or any server for that matter) it knows your IP. Period. That's how TCP/IP works.

ok, i'm not a tcp/ip expert. i was just curious if my isp suddenly switched my IP, (and if i was connected to SN), would SN know without skipping a beat? your answer seems to be yes, fair enough.

As far as I know you cannot connect your SB to SN from the website (in fact, I can't think of any way that would be possible). You can control it while it's connected, including switching it on and off, but it remains connected even when "off".

i should investigate more b4 i assume, (or post), again, my mistake. u do in fact need to connect to SN first at the local level, and can't do it via the website, b4 you can power on or off or anything else.

however, i would contend that it would be useful to have the option to connect the SB to the SN via the website, (for various reasons, some of which i've already stated); something that could be done if the SB constantly updated SN with your IP, "actively connected" or not.

Because it's not needed for the SN functionality and I have absolute faith in SD to not include things like that.

ok, i would tend to agree with that conclusion, but it is based on faith.

i will be able to test it, once my ISP updates my IP. i can then log into the SN site and see if it knows the new IP, as the IP is listed next to the SB. (i am hoping it does for technical reasons, altho it would be slightly worrisome if it does, given that we all assume it doesn't).

I'm still not really sure what you'd use it for, and plenty of ddns services already exist - so why not use one of them? Slim have plenty of things to be doing right now :)

do you know of any free ones? and even if so, do you know of any that would work using say, my router, or something other than my computer, so i don't have to install a client app and waste cycles on it?

as to what i would use it for... well, i could give out:

http://MrSinatra.squeezenetwork.com:9000/

to my friends so they could browse my music, or download a tune, (legally of course! ;) or so that i could track my IP for my own uses outside of SN. (as of now, if my SB is on SN, i have to go to their website, log in, and get the IP under the SB preferences)

its a utilization that SN could easily include, as you yourself said.

i do appreciate your feedback, i'm learning...

-mdw

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-09, 07:23
That _is_ strange. The next time it happens, please do a view source on that frame and attach the contents to the thread. I suspect that the HTML is corrupted and that the _link_ to the Slim Devices web page got turned into an embed or something...

I would, except it hasn't happened since. And based on what Dan is saying, it may not happen again.