PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering - again...

DougP
2006-07-06, 14:58
Hi all,

I know this has been talked about before but this will not go away for me - stuttering audio.

No real issues with my setup (wireless, SB2, Win XP - had for 18 months) but lately I have had the stuttering issue - the wireless signal is 80%+, not noisy nor channel overlapping (used NetStumbler), PC not under pressure.. and the weird thing -> mp3 plays fine, FLAC does not. I have 16000 FLAC files so a bit of a prob there..! The SB2 buffer refuses to go over 10% with FLAC but happily does with mp3...

So, anyone seen this - is this really a network issue? Could it be a firmware/codec issue?

I am running 6.2.2, firmware 48, but before someone says "upgrade" I would like to find out why this is happening now.

Thanks,
Doug

radish
2006-07-06, 16:10
and the weird thing -> mp3 plays fine, FLAC does not. I have 16000 FLAC files so a bit of a prob there..! The SB2 buffer refuses to go over 10% with FLAC but happily does with mp3...

Not weird at all, exactly what I'd expect to see if bandwidth is constrained. MP3 is much lower bitrate than FLAC, so for a given delivery rate (above the MP3 bitrate but below the FLAC one) the buffer will eventually fill playing MP3 but will continually empty playing FLAC.

So, anyone seen this - is this really a network issue? Could it be a firmware/codec issue?

Almost certainly network. But use the network diagnosis plugin to confirm. Seeing as you have a high signal strength and you say you're not on an overlapping channel, it's probably interference from a non-network device like a phone, light or microwave. I'm assuming you're running 11g not b?

stevo
2006-07-06, 17:27
I have had this problem - have you tried the following;

By default, Windows doesn't give high priority to services and the SlimServer software sometimes needs a fair amount of CPU. To work around this, open your "Control Panels", and then open the "System" control panel. On the "Advanced" tab, find the "Performance" section and click on "Settings". On the "Advanced" tab, choose "Backround Services" under "Processor Scheduling". Click "OK" and the SlimServer software will now get more CPU cycles and perform better.

The link is at;

http://faq.slimdevices.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=2&id=102&artlang=en

DougP
2006-07-07, 12:47
Yes, I am running 11g. Now done some other things....

+ Changed the background services - no change
+ The reponse from the SB remote is very poor..unusable really
+ NetTest suggests 64 kbs fine, but others not so good
+ My PC seems to be intermittently losing the net connection, plus the performance/response can be poor from time to time
+ So....tried SqueezeNetwork - works fine...including remote control response.

I guess I may have PC issues - anyone suggest some performance analysis s/w for my PC (Win XP)?

Triode
2006-07-07, 13:54
If nettest shows poor performance above 64k I would suspect the network connection to the PC not the PC itself.

Look at the different network paths taken from Sqeezebox to the internet vs to your PC. Could you try a wired ethernet connection to the PC as a test?

DougP
2006-07-07, 14:51
Not really - I am considering Devlo /Homeplug to use the electric ciruit to wire the SB, but... why would SqueezeNetwork work fine? Surely it is over the same LAN?

the_twin
2006-07-07, 15:05
How is your PC connected to the network? If it is wirelessly, then you will lose bandwidth as the music has to travel from the computer to the router and then on to the Squeezebox. If wired, it might be something as simple as a dodgy ethernet cable. Is internet access from the PC reliable?

DougP
2006-07-07, 15:10
Yep, PC is wired to a Linksys WAG54G - the internet connection "seems" fine, although after some tests pages occasionally load slowly (blank page for 2-4 secs, then content appears). Guess the router could be the issue? Firmware is 2 years old, but I have had trouble locating recent versions...

radish
2006-07-07, 16:27
Also remember that streaming from SN is using much less bandwidth than FLAC from your local SS.