PDA

View Full Version : Worth switching to 'spare' machine???

phillyaj
2006-07-06, 06:58
Ok, So I've been reading all the debates about what 'class' of machine or storage server to run slimserver on and It seems that the opinions are varied. Here's my question.

I am running my slimserver on the family dell p4-2.4 Ghz 1G Ram system. This system 'usually' stays on all day and so far hasn't been an issue. I would like to get slimserver and all my music off and have a dedicated systems for slimserver.

I have a an old Gateway PII machine that I was able to 'trick out' to 266 Mhz, with over-clocked FSB and 128mb of Ram. It's currently hooked up to my network via ethernet and is only used to run backups of my wife's pictures nightly. It's running XP pro and I was thinking..."Hmmm..Wonder if Slimserver would run ok on this???". I'm curious if my streaming of Sirius or other internet music services would suffer and also what about my music?? I was able to load slimserver S/W on the machine, but haven't migrated all my music over yet...

Let the debates/opionions begin =)

azinck3
2006-07-06, 07:07
I was able to load slimserver S/W on the machine, but haven't migrated all my music over yet...

Let the debates/opionions begin =)

It certainly could work, but how well will depend on the format of your music, your usage patterns, what plugins you use, and how many squeezeboxes you need to support. But, no need for opinions or debate! The only way to know the answer to your question is for you to just use the thing and see if it works for you. You've already told us that you're halfway there by having loaded slimserver on it. Just move your music over and see if it meets your needs.

Kevin O. Lepard
2006-07-06, 07:52
>"Hmmm..Wonder if Slimserver would run ok on this???"

A lot is going to depend on what you specifically do, and how
demanding you are with respect to response times. I run Slimserver
on an old 700Mhz G3. If I push it hard enough, I can get an
occasional stutter. It isn't enough to bother me, but some would
find that unacceptable. Lots of people run their slimserver on NAS
devices (some officially support this and others do not).
Performance varies.

I suggest you try it. Using SlimCD would be an easy way to try it.
You'll probably get better performance out of your hardware running a
minimal Linux install with slimserver than if you're using Windows,
since the latter has more over head, but since you have the hardware,
I can't see a good reason not to try it.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.