PDA

View Full Version : GUI feature for an anxious bastard

vsu
2006-07-03, 05:54
The anxious/impatient bastard in the title,that's me.

One thing that is driving me crazy is when I see "Connecting to Squeeze Network..." on the display, then 2 seconds later it goes blank...

What does it mean? Still trying to connect? "Fuggetabahit,don't hold your breath, it ain't working", "Your SB just died".???

I dont want a screensaver function at that point ... I want to GUI acknoledgment that things are happening in the background ("please wait, trying to connect") , until it succeeds of fails.
Otherwise my itchy fingers start clicking buttons like crazy on the remote.

Should I seek therapy, or does anybody else shares this usability concern with me ? :)
V

danco
2006-07-03, 07:55
What version of SlimServer?

I haven't started using 6.3 yet, but the documents for it do mention n issue related to yours that they have now dealt with.

hcanning
2006-07-03, 10:00
I'm having the same problem. Half the time it'll try and connect, and just stop.

JJZolx
2006-07-03, 10:16
The anxious/impatient bastard in the title,that's me.

One thing that is driving me crazy is when I see "Connecting to Squeeze Network..." on the display, then 2 seconds later it goes blank...

What does it mean? Still trying to connect? "Fuggetabahit,don't hold your breath, it ain't working", "Your SB just died".???
I just went through a period of hair pulling with my SBs. Long story, but I saw many variations on this.

Similar issues with connecting to the local SlimServer. If you see "Connecting to SlimServer..." and it just sits there, then it seems to mean that there's a server out there, but they ain't linking up. From what I can tell, it will sit there forever as long as there's a server on the network and as long as they're talking jibberish to each other.

If the "Connecting to SlimServer..." goes away and the screen goes blank, then it seems to mean that it couldn't see a server on the network.

Yeah, there should be something more displayed about the connection status. They've done a pretty good job of updating the status display for all the preceding connection steps, but it falls off at this point.

NigelMSB
2006-07-04, 07:08
Yeah, there should be something more displayed about the connection status. They've done a pretty good job of updating the status display for all the preceding connection steps, but it falls off at this point.
On the other hand, if you have a SB in a bedroom and it looses connection to the server at night (server rebooted/crashed, wireless blip, Internet problem, etc.) you wouldn't want to it to keep displaying something. If it did, you might wake up or get annoyed with the bright display.

It's more of a problem with SN (since people do use it as an alarm clock) but it still sometimes happens using my SB over a wireless LAN to a local SS. I think that if the SB didn't silently fail then it wouldn't be allowed in the bedroom for very long.

andyg
2006-07-04, 07:22
Another reason the screen could go blank is if you have your brightness set to 0 on SqueezeNetwork.