PDA

View Full Version : Only one out of 5 Squeezeboxes work.

andreas_letto
2006-07-02, 12:33
Folks,

I am experiencing a strange phenomenon on my second large Slimserver installation (the first one with 4 Slimp3/Squeezeboxes works fine).

I have set up a rather simple wireless installation consisting of a Windows XP SP2 PC, a linksys router connecter via wire, and 5 Squeezeboxes2. One Squeezebox works fine, as soon as I switch on a second one, it blocks, when I disconnect the first one and restart the second one, the second one works. Any of them work, but only one at a time.

I have tried several things: the router is a replacement, tried several cables, several NICs switched off and booted all devices in different sequences, worked with DHCP and fixed IP address assignment, you name it. No change.

I am discussing with support, but wonder If anybody else has experienced something like that. Details of the installation:

PC: HP Pavillion, Pentium 4 2.53 GHz, 1 GB RAM.
Operating System: Windows XP SP2 Ver 5.1 Build 2600.xpsp_sp2-gdr.050401-1519
NIC: Realtek RTL8139/810X, Driver 5.620.1202.2004
Router: Linksys WRT54GX-v2, Firmware 2.00.05, Loader 1.00.03
Slimserver 6.2.2 7135 Wind.XP-EN-cp1252
5 Squeezebox2 Firmware 48

Regards

Andreas

leko
2006-07-02, 12:57
Try resetting the squeezeboxes to factory defaults, and then put them on the network one and a time manually configuring their ips.

I'm wondering if this is another manifestation of the "binding to multiple ips" problem a couple people have seen.

andreas_letto
2006-07-02, 13:26
Leko,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've done the resetting to factory standards several times - when using DHCP the different Squeezeboxes sometimes received the same IP address, so I switched to manual IP assignment outside the DHCP range - but same thing. And the Slimserver software only shows the active player when using the web front-end on the server.

Andreas

ajmitchell
2006-07-02, 13:37
Any of them work, but only one at a time.

This suggests to me that all the SB's themselves are working but you have a network issue, possibly a conflict. Try connecting a second PC/laptop to the same network and see if the dynamic IP is assigned ok. IF ok read this IP in network properties, disconnect it, and then try assigning this IP to the second SB; after a hard (factory) reset. I would do this with all security and firewall off initially, including programmes like the pesky Norton security package.

Hope that helps

Alex

andreas_letto
2006-07-02, 13:45
Try connecting a second PC/laptop to the same network and see if the dynamic IP is assigned ok. IF ok read this IP in network properties, disconnect it, and then try assigning this IP to the second SB; after a hard (factory) reset.

I'll try (next weekend). I don't use any firewall (the installation is not connected to the internet. The strange thing is that I have tried with a different network setup (d-link access point) which worked with a different PC before, and have had the same symptom.

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-02, 15:09
Sounds like an IP address conflict.

Also check to see that the Squeezeboxes are actually using the MAC addresses you think they are. Check the MAC address printed on the bottom of the unit.

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-02, 15:19
Oh you may also want to check things out with Ethereal.

There's a conflict somewhere, especially since you indicate that DHCP is assigning some addresses twice. A packet sniffer will provide additional info.

radish
2006-07-02, 16:00
Sounds a lot like a MAC conflict to me...of course MACs should be unique but if they've suffered the mysterious MAC weirdness they could have all ended up on the same one. Which would give exactly the symptoms you describe.

bgriffis
2006-07-05, 06:01
You're using the initial release of your router firmware. There have been multiple firmware upgrades since then. Go to the linksys website, go to Support -> Downloads, select your product in the dropbox, and download the most recent firmware. I see in the release notes that they have fixed issues related to DHCP.

To upgrade the firmware you'll need to log into your router and most likely there will be a place where you can browse to the file you downloaded and click "update firmware" or something similar.

Brad

twylie
2006-07-06, 05:39
You're using the initial release of your router firmware. There have been multiple firmware upgrades since then. Go to the linksys website, go to Support -> Downloads, select your product in the dropbox, and download the most recent firmware. I see in the release notes that they have fixed issues related to DHCP.

To upgrade the firmware you'll need to log into your router and most likely there will be a place where you can browse to the file you downloaded and click "update firmware" or something similar.

Brad

Good eye and advice here. I was using that same router for a while and had many problems with DHCP. Newest firmware seemed to fix everything but some odd connection issues with the LAN ports (if devices are directly attached, they are flakey - if a switch is attached to the LAN ports and the devices to the switch, all is good.)

andreas_letto
2006-07-10, 05:00
Resolved. It was the MACs. Thanks to all who contributed.