PDA

View Full Version : WMA Pro + Squeezebox question

danull
2006-07-01, 21:44
Hello all,

I recently sold my father-in-law on the idea of a Squeezebox so he went out and got one of his own. Last night and today he ripped 600+ CDs in the WMA PRO format which is apparently a new format with the Beta version of Windows Media Player 11.

Anyway after spending a while debugging it I finally realised that WMA PRO audio files won't play on Squeezebox. WMA 192 KBPS works fine, WMA Lossless works fine, but everything he ripped in WMA PRO won't play.

So my question is, when will Squeezebox support WMA PRO, approximately? Will it only be a matter of days/weeks or will it be months/many,many months so that he should re-rip his collection (remember he did about 600 CDs like this!)

I'll be advising him what to do based on your feedback, which will be much appreciated.

Thank you for any feedback,

-Dan

deserttaxguy
2006-07-01, 21:48
You let your father-in law buy a player THEN RIP 600 CDS BEOFRE YOU TIRED TO PLAY ANY. Ooooh.. you're the new favorite son in law..!

stinkingpig
2006-07-01, 22:30
On 7/1/06, deserttaxguy <
deserttaxguy.2aax5b1151815801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> You let your father-in law buy a player THEN RIP 600 CDS BEOFRE YOU
> TIRED TO PLAY ANY. Ooooh.. you're the new favorite son in law..!
>
>
kinda gotta agree with this one...

anyway, if it only took a couple of days, sounds like there's not too much
time down the tubes. Just do it again with a different format, and listen to
some of them as you go :)

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

Michaelwagner
2006-07-01, 22:58
umm...I'm having some problems with the math here.

600 albums is 25 albums an hour for 24 hours.

25 albums an hour is one every 2.4 minutes, no pausing for eating, sleeping or the washroom.

I don't think I've ever even done 60 albums a day, at the beginning when I got started with this whole thing.

danull
2006-07-01, 23:26
LOL, I was hoping you'd make more fun of him, not me. Not all of us still live with our parents, guys =P No way I could have known he would rip in a format different from what I recommended (I said WMA 192 Kbps, he went WMA Pro after he somehow decided to download windows media player beta and said to himself "hey Pro must be better, it's Pro!"). Besides, I'm out there spreading the Squeezebox word and getting more units sold which in turn benefits us all! I should get some kind of medal!

As for the Math, I agree sounds strange. Saw it with my own eyes though, ~620 albums according to Slimserver and he said he started yesterday afternoon or evening. It is possible I got confused about when he started since we were playing cards and drinking tonight. I do know he got the Squeezebox earlier this week though so has only had it a few days.

Anyway the question remains as to when Squeezebox will support WMA Pro. Anybody have any idea? I doubt the answer is "never".

-Danull

stinkingpig
2006-07-02, 00:03
On 7/1/06, danull <danull.2ab1rz1151821801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> LOL, I was hoping you'd make more fun of him, not me. Not all of us
> still live with our parents, guys =P No way I could have known he

I hear ya, my folks do some scary things to their computer.

Anyway the question remains as to when Squeezebox will support WMA Pro.
> Anybody have any idea? I doubt the answer is "never".
>
> -Danull

no idea, but I bet it's a shorter period of time than re-ripping will take
:) Slim Devices does offer a ripping service...

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

Michaelwagner
2006-07-02, 00:09
It's amazing how people misunderstand instructions.

I told a new SB user "don't buy the wireless for this application".

She was actually buying it for the mother of her boyfriend. So broken telephone.

By the time the message got to the person who bought the router, a techy friend of the boyfriend, it was "Don't buy the wireless squeezebox, buy the wireless router and wireless cards for the server instead".

Sigh.

I don't know anything on point to help you with the WMA Pro question, though. Sorry. Hopefully someone from Slim will address when the long weekend is over.

But ...

From the Microsoft backgrounder,

WMA Pro
Windows Media Audio Professional. An audio standard developed by Microsoft Corporation for delivering a 5.1- or 7.1-channel audio signal as a stream of compressed digital data.

I'm not sure how Slim would support a 5 or 7 channel signal with only 2 channels out.

Of course, I'm not sure how Microsoft could take a 2 channel CD and turn it into 5 or 7 unless n-2 of them were empty.

[edit] So I read more about WMA pro. It seems Slim might have 2 choices and 2 levels of support.

For the analogue, RCA line out jacks, there are only 2 channels. Support would presumably consist of finding the main 2 channels in the 5.1 or 7.1 audio stream and throwing away the others.

For the digital, there is it seems a format for sending all 5.1 or 7.1 channels to the DAC. Then I guess it would depend on whether the DAC understood this weird format or not.

Marc Sherman
2006-07-02, 06:12
danull wrote:
>
> As for the Math, I agree sounds strange. Saw it with my own eyes
> though, ~620 albums according to Slimserver and he said he started
> yesterday afternoon or evening. It is possible I got confused about
> when he started since we were playing cards and drinking tonight. I
> do know he got the Squeezebox earlier this week though so has only had
> it a few days.

He probably ripped a bunch of compilations and didn't tag them
correctly, so each song is being shown as a separate album.

- Marc

Michaelwagner
2006-07-02, 07:07
Oh, that's true. If there's only about the same number of tracks as albums, or maybe twice as many tracks as albums, he likely did a bunch of compilations that didn't scan right as compilations in the newest release. It has a bug in that area.

Check the ratio of tracks to albums. If it's impossibly low, that's likely what's happening.

danull
2006-07-02, 08:38
danull wrote:
>
> As for the Math, I agree sounds strange. Saw it with my own eyes
> though, ~620 albums according to Slimserver and he said he started
> yesterday afternoon or evening. It is possible I got confused about
> when he started since we were playing cards and drinking tonight. I
> do know he got the Squeezebox earlier this week though so has only had
> it a few days.

He probably ripped a bunch of compilations and didn't tag them
correctly, so each song is being shown as a separate album.

- Marc

ah-ha! That's probably it...he has a ton of compilation albums/movie soundtracks, etc. He has 6.3 software installed (I stayed back on 6.2.2 after seeing bug reports about 6.3 in this forum).

OK so that probably explains why so many albums according to Slimserver. Now to figure out when/if WMA Pro will be supported....sounds like the Slim Devices guys are off for a few more days, so I'll probably have to wait.

Knowing him if he didn't hear from me by this morning then he has probably already deleted everything and started re-ripping in a supported format. So I guess the question about WMA Pro is now to satisfy my curiosity more than anything.

Thanks for your comments, guys.

-Dan

autopilot
2006-07-02, 08:42
Point him to these forums.

Michaelwagner
2006-07-02, 08:51
Point him to these forums.
Right! We'll confuse him good :-)

autopilot
2006-07-02, 08:53
Confusion is just a gateway to greater knowledge, lol :)

danull
2006-07-05, 17:39
Well, I figure the Squeezebox developers might be back at work now that the holiday weekend is over.... do any of you guys have any input? If not, guess I'll let this thread die.

-Dan

Michaelwagner
2006-07-08, 18:02
... anyone from Slim going to comment on this one?

blah509
2006-07-08, 18:39
heck with it...bump

g