PDA

View Full Version : Hard disk spins fast during rescan

fredila
2006-07-01, 11:26
Hi,

Of late, maybe since I installed 6.3, whenever I rescan my music library my hard disk spins up to where it sounds like an airplane getting ready to take off. And it continues to do that until I quit the operation or, in some instances, reboot my computer.

I'm not sure if it's a function of the software or if my computer has gone berserk.

Anyone else have this experience?

Thanks,

Fred

JJZolx
2006-07-01, 11:38
Hi,

Of late, maybe since I installed 6.3, whenever I rescan my music library my hard disk spins up to where it sounds like an airplane getting ready to take off. And it continues to do that until I quit the operation or, in some instances, reboot my computer.

I'm not sure if it's a function of the software or if my computer has gone berserk.

Anyone else have this experience?
You must mean your optical disk drive - CD-ROM, DVD, whatever it is. I'm not sure why SlimServer would access the drive, unless you have a shortcut pointing to it somewhere in you Music Folder, but an easy way to keep this from happening is to just remove the CD or DVD from the drive.

fredila
2006-07-01, 11:42
Thanks for the input. However, I don't have any CDs or DVDs in any of the drives.

Fred

JJZolx
2006-07-01, 11:57
Thanks for the input. However, I don't have any CDs or DVDs in any of the drives.
I've heard the "airplane" sound from slightly off balance data CDs and from audio CDs when ripping, but you'll only hear it if there's a disc spinning in the drive.

Hard drives spin at a constant rate that you seldom hear, though some people hear a fairly high-pitched whine from some drives. More commonly what you'll hear is a "chatter" of the drive's servo moving the heads very quickly all over the disk. Often this sound is amplified within a computer case and can even sound like a thumping from within the case.

That would be consistent with SlimServer doing a scan, as it typically needs to read 1000s of files. If the files on your hard drive are badly fragmented, this chattering could be extreme, as the drive heads may need to move all over the place to read even a single large file. Try defragmenting your hard drive and see if the noise is lessened.

fredila
2006-07-01, 12:04
Hi JJ

I thought again about your comment about removing CDs. Even though I didn't have any in the drives, I disabled one of the drives and the problem went away.

However, I'm not sure why the drive would be spinning when there's nothing in it???

Thanks again,

Fred

radish
2006-07-01, 15:06
It's also possible it's a fan - some computers have heat sensitive fans so when the rescan pushes the cpu load up you hear more fan noise. Just a thought...