PDA

View Full Version : Music Folder on Mapped drive

Tim I
2006-07-01, 01:36
Hi All,

This is my first post so I hope it isn't to simple.
My squeezebox arrived the other day and I am really impressed by the sound quality, I have a bit more tweaking to do but even so it sounds better than my Meridian 508 CD player.

My question is getting Slimserver to use mapped netork drives as the music server. The setup i have is to have the server on computer 'A' which is a laptop i have next to me when i listen, obviously the hard disc is not big enough for all the music so this is located on another computer and mapped through the laptop. I get the error "Oops - "s:\music" doesn't seem to be a valid directory. Try again." where s:\music is the map drive. I have set up permissions so i can access the drive but the server refused to let me see it.

A sort of second related question is: Is this set up the most appropriate whith two PC's, should Slim server be located on a separate PC to where the music is? I like to have access to SlimServer when listening to the music.

many thanks in advance.

Tim

aubuti
2006-07-01, 02:00
Welcome to the club. On your first question, you need to use the UNC name for the mapped drive (\\computername\sharename). There is more information about this in the wiki at www.slimdevices.com (sorry, but I don't know the direct link offhand).

On the second question, don't forget that you can access the slimserver via the web interface (http://servername:9000) from any computer on your LAN. So you could run slimserver on the PC that holds the music library, but still control it from your laptop. Of course, insert the name of your server where 'servername' appears in the examples above.

Running slimserver either on the 2nd PC or on the laptop should be fine. One consideration that might apply is that it's normally recommended that you limit the number of wireless hops that the music has to make. So if your laptop is wireless, and your SB3 is wireless, but your 2nd PC is wired, you'll avoid problems by running slimserver on the 2nd PC, so the only wireless hop is to the SB3.

ceejay
2006-07-01, 02:40
Just to reinforce what aubuti said...

There is an FAQ on this at http://faq.slimdevices.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=2&id=99&artlang=en As it happens, aubuti has pretty much said this already, but the FAQ is a useful resource you might want to get familiar with.

On the other point I'd go a little further and say that I would definitely recommend running slimserver on the "other PC" (where your library is) and then accessing it from your laptop through the browser. It will avoid the drive mapping issue completely, it will make your network potentially a little more stable, and it will also increase flexibility - it means that you will be able to play music without turning your laptop on at all (using the remote) and also from other computers in the future.

HTH

Ceejay
(and enjoy the new toy!)

Patrick Dixon
2006-07-01, 03:31
If you do stick with the setup you have, I'd recommend making the 'music' and 'playlists' directories local, and then using softlinks (shortcuts) within them, to point to any other places where your music is kept. I've found it a more stable and flexible approach - YMMV.

Tim I
2006-07-01, 03:50
many thanks for the help, i have managed to sort out the mapped drive problem from the FAQ.

I think it would be better to put the server on the other PC and then access from Laptop,

cheers all for help, am off to continue playing

Tim

Wirrunna
2006-07-03, 19:36
Tim, I run SlimServer on a PC server in a cupboard under the stairs with no keyboard or monitor and control it (when necessary) with VNC from either my laptop or my wife's computer. VNC is a free utility - Google will find it for you.
The only drawback is that ripping new CDs is difficult, so I do that on my wife's computer and copy the files across.
My music library is Apple lossless, so I use iTunes to manage the directories and MusicIP to make the mixes.

Pontemonti
2006-07-03, 23:57
I would also recommend running SlimServer on "the other" PC. That way, you don't need to have the laptop up and running just to play music (think how annoying it would be if you have to restart or shut down the laptop - squeezebox can't play music while laptop is down).

The only drawback is that ripping new CDs is difficult, so I do that on my wife's computer and copy the files across.
How is that difficult?

I have a similar setup, but use Remote Desktop to access the server instead. Ripping a CD is no more difficult than starting EAC on the server instead of the laptop :)

Wirrunna
2006-07-04, 01:52
It's difficult 'cause the server is in the cupboard under the stairs at the far (low) end and I have to get past the 25Kg sack of dog food, around the wire basket drawers and duck under the surfboards to get to the CD drive on the server, insert the CD and then back out without disturbing anything, and then go upstairs to the VNC console.
It is far more convenient to rip CDs with the CD drive next to the console.
Back to the topic, as your music collection grows, running SlimServer on the device where the music is stored will make the most sense and enable you to remove the laptop without shutting off the music. Utilities like VNC enable you to run the SlimServer console from a different PC on your LAN.

Pontemonti
2006-07-04, 05:06
It's difficult 'cause the server is in the cupboard under the stairs at the far (low) end and I have to get past the 25Kg sack of dog food, around the wire basket drawers and duck under the surfboards to get to the CD drive on the server, insert the CD and then back out without disturbing anything, and then go upstairs to the VNC console.
It is far more convenient to rip CDs with the CD drive next to the console.
Ouch! That's true. Guess my server isn't hidden that much. If you don't want to copy the files manually, you should be able to map up a network drive and rip directly from the laptop into it, right?