PDA

View Full Version : Add Wireless to Squeezebox 2

chadh
2006-06-29, 06:19
I have a SB2 that I bought without Wireless. I'm wondering what are the options for adding wireless to it. I was thinking about some type of ethernet to wireless brigde. I tried a linksys 'Game' adapter without much success. Any ideas? 802.11g and WPA would be my only requirements.

Thanks,
Chad

autopilot
2006-06-29, 06:46
Might not be helping you here, but have you thought of using some kind of ethernet over power line solution, such as this - http://www.devolo.com/co_EN/produkte/dlan/index.html

radish
2006-06-29, 07:18
I have a SB2 that I bought without Wireless. I'm wondering what are the options for adding wireless to it. I was thinking about some type of ethernet to wireless brigde. I tried a linksys 'Game' adapter without much success. Any ideas? 802.11g and WPA would be my only requirements.

Thanks,
Chad
The adapter you tried should have worked fine - you just need a wireless bridge (which that is). What problems did you face?

chadh
2006-06-29, 11:18
The adapter you tried should have worked fine - you just need a wireless bridge (which that is). What problems did you face?

I would have thought so as well. First, it didn't support WPA. Even after disabling WPA on my access point, it would connect but not stay connected. And the SB could not play any files without the sound breaking-up. Keep in mind, the wirless access point and the game adapter were in the same room. I know that's not a network issue as I have used Softsqeeze on my laptop with the same WLAN. In addition, the configuration tools were pretty bad. No Mac software of course. Perhaps I just need to try another Vendor.

Chad

ajmitchell
2006-06-29, 11:51
This was exactly my question too a few days ago. I have orders the buffalo wirless bridge and I will let you know if that works in a week or so (if I remember ; )

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=24976

radish
2006-06-29, 12:53
I would have thought so as well. First, it didn't support WPA. Even after disabling WPA on my access point, it would connect but not stay connected. And the SB could not play any files without the sound breaking-up. Keep in mind, the wirless access point and the game adapter were in the same room. I know that's not a network issue as I have used Softsqeeze on my laptop with the same WLAN. In addition, the configuration tools were pretty bad. No Mac software of course. Perhaps I just need to try another Vendor.

Chad
Sounds like maybe it was a 802.11b only client? That would lower the bandwidth dramatically to a level which often causes breakups for people.