PDA

View Full Version : streaming AAC files in native format

b_prem
2006-06-28, 08:21
Hi all,

I need a clarification about streaming AAC files in native format, from the slimserver.

We are planning to stream AAC files in native format without any transcodings. Does Slimserver support streaming AAC files in native format without any transcodings?

Could you please clarify me regarding this.

eq72521
2006-06-28, 08:50
I believe that the answer is "No", although I can't find a document to corroborate. The SB 2/3 can natively decode WAV, FLAC, MP3, and WMA (not lossless).

Mark Lanctot
2006-06-28, 09:03
We are planning to stream AAC files in native format without any transcodings.

Why is this an issue? It's a completely transparent process.

b_prem
2006-06-28, 21:18
To stream AAC files from slimserver(version 6.2.2) in native format without any transcoding, I disabled the following, and restarted the slimserver.

File Format Stream Format Decoder

Apple AAC, Lossless or Movie File AIFF mov123
Apple AAC, Lossless or Movie File FLAC mov123/flac
Apple AAC, Lossless or Movie File MP3 mov123/lame

I chose an AAC file, ending with the extension .m4a, and clicked "Play". The "Play" option is not getting enabled and the streaming is not taking place in the native format, without any transcoding.

This is the issue, i face here.

ceejay
2006-06-28, 23:24
As has already been said, this won't work, the SB will not play AAC without server-side transcoding.

There is very little downside to having the stream transcoded on the server, though: the only functionality you lose is ffwd/rew within a track while playing.

Is your concern about the load on the server with transcoding going on? Most people don't find this an issue, are you planning on having lots of streams at once?

Ceejay

bpa
2006-06-28, 23:32
Are you trying to stream AAC to a Roku ?
AFAIK Roku does not support AAC in slimserver emulation.

ceejay
2006-06-28, 23:56
Interesting call, bpa, but I think not - b_prem has started at least a dozen threads on this or similar topics over the last 6 or 7 months. I think s/he is trying to stream to a homemade software client, so we may not be able to help much here. Here is just one of many ...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19169

Ceejay

ChrisOwens
2006-06-29, 17:41
If he's trying to work with a software client, I suppose he could do something wacky like encapsulate his AAC files with a RIFF (wav) header. It'll play noise on a Squeezebox since AAC data is not a valid wav file, but the data will be intact on the other end for his software to decode as it pleases.

As Mark points out, the only "problem" isn't that Slimserver can't stream AAC; with a bit of hacking it can stream anything. It just *doesn't* out-of-the-box because Squeezeboxes can't decode AAC.

Anyway, if he's a programmer, I've heard Slimserver's open source. :)