PDA

View Full Version : Qnap questions

agentsmith
2006-06-28, 04:43
I am considering getting a qnap and has some quesitons:

1. Performance: How is the performance especially with a lot of lossless music installed? I have a Buffalo Linkstation with Slim installed and the response time is dismal both from the remote control and web. Would the QNAP having tested with SS perform much better?

2. Ease of update and install: How does that work? With the Buffalo you pretty much have to be a Linux guy to hack SS into it. Is the QNAP any better with updates?

3. Plugins: Would it support all Linux plugins? How difficult to install? Does MusicIP work with it?

4. How to get TS-101 with SS installed? Can I get any old TS-101 and install firmware? If not, can I buy the firmware?

Thanks in advance

Janco
2006-06-28, 04:59
I only have mp3 files, thinks could be a bit different for lossless formats, so be careful.

1. Performance: satisfactory.
Generally there are no interruptions during the music.
The response is sometimes a bit sluggish. The interface hangs and then, after about a second, it's starts to respond.
Sometimes a reboot is necessary because of interruptions in the music. It is rare, though, and it also happenend with slimserver 6.2 installed on a pc, so I guess it might have nothing to do with QNAP but with the wireless connection, slimserver, router etc.

2. Ease of update: rather easy. But updates can only be installed with an official update file which can be downloaded from the supplier's site.

3. Plugins: the same goes as for 2. But you can ask the supplier, he does take notice of such requests.

4. Order it from a UK supplier. I did it, it worked for Europe continent.

1. Performance: How is the performance especially with a lot of lossless music installed? I have a Buffalo Linkstation with Slim installed and the response time is dismal both from the remote control and web. Would the QNAP having tested with SS perform much better?

2. Ease of update and install: How does that work? With the Buffalo you pretty much have to be a Linux guy to hack SS into it. Is the QNAP any better with updates?

3. Plugins: Would it support all Linux plugins? How difficult to install? Does MusicIP work with it?

4. How to get TS-101 with SS installed? Can I get any old TS-101 and install firmware? If not, can I buy the firmware?

Thanks in advance

Fifer
2006-06-28, 05:06

Thanks in advance
1. I've got about 400 albums ripped to FLAC. The QNAP is a wee bit slower from the web interface compared to a PC but IMHO, not much. From the remote, I'm hard pushed to notice any difference. The response seems instant.
2. Slimserver updates are easy. Download from the update site, copy to a directory on the QNAP and reboot. That's it. Qnap firmware updates are similarly easy, but done through the QNAP web interface admin page. No Linux knowledge is necessary.
3. Some plug-ins are already available (AlienBBC for example). Others can be implemented on request.
4. You have to buy the QNAP with SS installed as it is not user installable. This means buying from the UK agent (Progressive AV or their retail arm, Cooltopia) or one of their stockists. The reason for this is that QNAP did not design the TS-101 as an open system, but as a low cost NAS/webserver/printserver, but Progressive spotted its potential as a low cost Slimserver so negotiated with QNAP to allow them to install SS. I think they deserve a lot of credit for doing so.

funkstar
2006-06-28, 05:35
Just to add my 0.02

Performance when using the remote is generally the same as wehn i was running SS on my laptop. Listing all 880 albums, 320ish artists or 100 newest additions does take a few seconds (i think i timed it at about 6), but this isn't a major problem. Would be nice if there was some kind of busy notification though.

Paul from progressive is very helpful with adding plugins etc. There is a custom version of Perl on there to get it working so Progressive have to do something with the source to get plugins working as they should.

You are deffinitely easiest getting a TS-101 direct from Progressive or from a distributer (MultiTask Computing are one). Perl and SS are stored on the hard drive as opposed to firmware

Paul has stated in the past that is the drive goes bad he hill happily take the unit back to get SS back on there if you purchased it though him.