PDA

View Full Version : Slim.exe commands

blkwrx
2006-06-27, 20:43
I wasn't sure what forum to ask this so I just thought I'd post it here.

Does anyone have a list of commands for the slim.exe program?

Example "slim.exe --start"

mherger
2006-06-27, 22:58
> Example "slim.exe --start"

slim.exe --help

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

oreillymj
2006-06-27, 22:59
Try slim.exe --help

It'll print a list to the console.

blkwrx
2006-06-28, 10:00
Thanks. Should have thought of that. That will teach me to ask questions right before going to bed.

blkwrx
2006-06-28, 13:10
Does the "slim.exe --help" show all the commands because I was looking for a command line way to have it rescan the music director and I don't see that under --help? There was --scanonly but I don't want to exit when done.
Sorry if this is another dumb question.

JJZolx
2006-06-28, 13:28
Does the "slim.exe --help" show all the commands because I was looking for a command line way to have it rescan the music director and I don't see that under --help? There was --scanonly but I don't want to exit when done.
Sorry if this is another dumb question.
You would do this in 6.2.x and 6.3 by having SlimServer already running and then using the CLI to send it a command to rescan. The CLI interface is just a telnet interface to the server. You could either use Windows Scriptiong Host to script the Windows telnet.exe client, or else use a scriptable third party tool.

I think this tool might do the job:

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html

blkwrx
2006-06-28, 14:00
You would do this in 6.2.x and 6.3 by having SlimServer already running and then using the CLI to send it a command to rescan. The CLI interface is just a telnet interface to the server. You could either use Windows Scriptiong Host to script the Windows telnet.exe client, or else use a scriptable third party tool.

I think this tool might do the job:

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html

Hey Jim thanks for the response. The OS I'm running can not install teraterm and has the telnet services removed so unless you guys go another way I'll have to figure out another way.

bpa
2006-06-28, 14:22
I think --stdio will then let you do CLI from the the console although I have never tried it.

radish
2006-06-28, 15:46
Hey Jim thanks for the response. The OS I'm running can not install teraterm and has the telnet services removed so unless you guys go another way I'll have to figure out another way.
It's the telnet client you need - not the telnet service. You can use the built in windows one or something like hyperterminal or putty. If those are a no-go you can look at something like starting IE with a magic url to trigger the scan.

blkwrx
2006-06-28, 15:54
It's the telnet client you need - not the telnet service. You can use the built in windows one or something like hyperterminal or putty. If those are a no-go you can look at something like starting IE with a magic url to trigger the scan.

telnet clint is also removed I was thinking there must be an IE URL that would trigger the scan.
Thanks

radish
2006-06-28, 16:08
Something like this should do the trick, just fix the server URL.

http://localhost:9000/setup.html?page=server&rescantype=1rescan&rescan=Rescan

Try this first in IE, you may get a CAUTH warning, in which case use the URL it provides on that page.

blkwrx
2006-06-28, 16:49
Something like this should do the trick, just fix the server URL.

http://localhost:9000/setup.html?page=server&rescantype=1rescan&rescan=Rescan

Try this first in IE, you may get a CAUTH warning, in which case use the URL it provides on that page.

Thanks, worked perfect.

blkwrx
2006-06-28, 17:36
Another question...

When slimserver starts it brings up IE to http://localhost:9000/
Is ther a place to change this to the rescan url without too much trouble?

Thanks

radish
2006-06-28, 19:30
Not that I know of, but I don't use the tray icon. Out of curiosity - why do you want to rescan so often?

blkwrx
2006-06-28, 19:39
Not that I know of, but I don't use the tray icon. Out of curiosity - why do you want to rescan so often?

I don't necessarily. I'm putting an SB2 and a CarPC in my car and its not going to be hooked up to a monitor so I need to automate all these features. I have the SlimServer installed on a external drive and it automatically runs when the drive is plugged in (the drive also has all the music on it). I was thinking I could just have it rescan the library on startup to check for any new music. It still plays while its scanning so I wouldn't even notice.

I have idea to initiate a rescan other ways but its less automated.

kdf
2006-06-28, 19:53
On 28-Jun-06, at 7:39 PM, blkwrx wrote:

>
> radish Wrote:
>> Not that I know of, but I don't use the tray icon. Out of curiosity -
>> why do you want to rescan so often?
>
> I don't necessarily. I'm putting an SB2 and a CarPC

can you not save the rescan url as a shortcut and put it in the startup
folder?
-k

blkwrx
2006-06-28, 19:58
can you not save the rescan url as a shortcut and put it in the startup
folder?
-k

Yes but the server isn't started in time. I've been researching a way to delay opening the url shortcut until after the server is started but I haven't found one yet.

JJZolx
2006-06-28, 20:05
I don't necessarily. I'm putting an SB2 and a CarPC in my car and its not going to be hooked up to a monitor so I need to automate all these features. I have the SlimServer installed on a external drive and it automatically runs when the drive is plugged in (the drive also has all the music on it). I was thinking I could just have it rescan the library on startup to check for any new music. It still plays while its scanning so I wouldn't even notice.

I have idea to initiate a rescan other ways but its less automated.
Enable the 'Rescan Music Library' plugin and just set it to rescan every night.

You should run the server as a service so that it automatically starts up when the computer boots. Although if you don't have it set up as a service now, and you've write protected the system drive, I'm not sure how you'll be able to save any new service setting in the Windows registry.

How is new music going to get onto the system once it's installed? If you'll be pulling the drive and loading music from your home PC, and you've installed the entire SlimServer on the hard drive, then you could conceivably load the music, then run the server from the hard drive and run a scan while it's still attached to the home PC.

blkwrx
2006-06-28, 20:15
Enable the 'Rescan Music Library' plugin and just set it to rescan every night.

You should run the server as a service so that it automatically starts up when the computer boots. Although if you don't have it set up as a service now, and you've write protected the system drive, I'm not sure how you'll be able to save any new service setting in the Windows registry.

Its easy to disable and enable the write protection to make changes. The EWF program comes from XP Embedded and is actually very easy to use once installed. I was going to change it over to just run the slim.exe instead of the slimtray.exe after I finished getting everything working.

How is new music going to get onto the system once it's installed? If you'll be pulling the drive and loading music from your home PC, and you've installed the entire SlimServer on the hard drive, then you could conceivably load the music, then run the server from the hard drive and run a scan while it's still attached to the home PC.

I am going to load new music from my home PC. I tried to run the SlimServer from the HD on my home PC and it didn't work. I'll try it again. Maybe I messed it up somehow (I'm good at that).

blkwrx
2006-06-28, 20:57
Well it did work :) I finally played around with some of the server setting too and disabled some stuff so it will load faster. But I don't think its going to work for a library rescan because on my home computer the drive comes up as L: and the D: drive is a fixed drive that needs to be labeled D:

I am toying around with the idea of just using a usb thumb drive with an autorun.inf script on it that opens the url. Then when I do add music I can initiate the rescan by plugging in the thumb drive. The only thing is with no screen I won't know when its finished but I can just do it before a long drive or something.

audiofi
2006-06-29, 02:16
Yes but the server isn't started in time. I've been researching a way to delay opening the url shortcut until after the server is started but I haven't found one yet.

Can't you build a batch script/vb program which waits for a few seconds (pinging localhost or something) then launch the IE, with the homepage set to the rescan page?
I have done this a couple of times where programs needed loading in a certain order and it has always worked so far.

blkwrx
2006-06-29, 06:57
Can't you build a batch script/vb program which waits for a few seconds (pinging localhost or something) then launch the IE, with the homepage set to the rescan page?
I have done this a couple of times where programs needed loading in a certain order and it has always worked so far.

That was the other option :)

radish
2006-06-29, 07:21
You can use "at" to schedule a task to run in the future.

blkwrx
2006-06-29, 10:03
I think I found an easy answer

Scanning your library

Of course, you will want to keep adding new music to your slimserver library... or perhaps you will have updated the tags in your files. In either case, slimserver needs to be told that something has changed in the library so that it can update its database. This is done by the scanning process. You can do this as a one-off, or schedule slimserver to rescan, say, every night.

* Tip: if you've just added a single album, you can force slimserver to read the files (and add it to the library) without doing a complete rescan just by browsing to it using Browse Music Folder...

JJZolx
2006-06-29, 10:16
I think I found an easy answer
Which was what?

I'd assume that if you'll be yanking the hard drive and hauling into the house to put new music on the server, then you'll be adding a lot more than a single album at a time. Browse Music Folder would work, but it's pretty tedious (particularly using the remote) to add more than a couple albums. And it won't pick up any deletions from your library.

If you're talking about using the 'Rescan Music Library' scheduler plugin, see my reply above in post #18.

blkwrx
2006-06-29, 10:23
Which was what?

I'd assume that if you'll be yanking the hard drive and hauling into the house to put new music on the server, then you'll be adding a lot more than a single album at a time. Browse Music Folder would work, but it's pretty tedious (particularly using the remote) to add more than a couple albums. And it won't pick up any deletions from your library.

If you're talking about using the 'Rescan Music Library' scheduler plugin, see my reply above in post #18.

My guess is I would only be adding a CD or two at a time. I'll do the major music scan before its installed in the car and then I would only be adding CD purchases. If I ever need to rescan the whole library I can initiate it using a thumb drive and a inf file like I mentioned above. I think that's the simplest solution.

Sorry if I was unclear and thanks for all your help.