PDA

View Full Version : SLIMP3 Hardware freeze

Brueli
2006-06-26, 11:33
Hi folks

After about 3 or more years using the "original" SLIMP3 device, since yesterday it just shows "Initializing..." after unplug and plug the power connector. This message stays for hours...
Trying to start the bootloader shows "SlimDevices Bootloader V." but no MAC address, also this message stays for hours...
I read in another thread that maybe a new mikrocontroller can "reanimate" the SLIMP3. Does anyone know where to get this mikrocontroller and what type of controller it is?

Thanks for any help!

Regards Brueli

Mark Lanctot
2006-06-26, 12:35
According to this:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison

it's a Microchip PIC16F877. Microchip microcontrollers are available through Digi-Key in several locations around the world:

www.digi-key.com

The problem is, that's just a blank chip. It's the programming you need.

Some users have said that removing the existing microcontroller and polishing the contacts helps.

Brueli
2006-06-27, 12:32
Thanks for answering Mark

>>> Some users have said that removing the existing microcontroller and polishing the contacts helps.

Just tried this, but did'nt help. Same behaviour as before.

>>> The problem is, that's just a blank chip. It's the programming you need.

Of course you're right! The only place where I maybe can get the programming is here at Slimdevices... so I will try if they can help.

Regards Brueli

Mark Lanctot
2006-06-27, 12:34
Of course you're right! The only place where I maybe can get the programming is here at Slimdevices... so I will try if they can help.

Contact support at slimdevices dot com.

Brueli
2006-07-14, 14:10
Just to end this thread.

Today I received my repaired SLIMP3 eleven days after I sent it to SlimDevices. That's quite a good service, but I live in Switzerland, so I think the device was most of the time on its way between me and SlimDevices, great job!
They charged me $90 for the repair and another $25 were the costs to send it to the US.
Not really a bargain, but on the other side, not every company is able to repair a device they produced 4 years ago and of course a new Squeezebox is more expensive.

So I have my SLIMP3 back and I enjoy it as before.

Wish everybody much fun with their Slim-Devices!

Regards

Brueli

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-16, 13:04
What repairs were carried out?

Brueli
2006-07-17, 11:38
What repairs were carried out?
No information about that. Description is "SliMP3 WARRANTY REPAIR".
I think some of the electronics must have been repaired / changed...

Regards

Brueli