PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Speakers



Barryn
2006-06-26, 06:48
Is it possible to use wireless speakers with a wireless squeezebox (2) or will they conflict? Don't want to buy wireless speakers and find they don't work with device!
If there isn't a problem - any recommendations
Thanks
Barry

Mark Lanctot
2006-06-26, 07:03
It depends what frequency the wireless speakers use.

The older analog models use 900 MHz, which shouldn't interfere with the Squeezebox 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi signal.

However newer digital transmission models use 2.4 GHz:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/loudspeakers/wirelesssurroundspeakers.php

which would interfere with a wireless network.

So it's between a rock and a hard place. While the 900 MHz versions won't interfere, their sound quality is quite poor. The 2.4 GHz versions should sound better but will interfere with the Squeezebox's data network.

Keep in mind that wireless speakers aren't really wireless anyway. They need power.

jimdibb
2006-06-26, 07:16
But then, neither is a squeezebox!

To also be helpful, my in-laws got a pair of wireless speakers (which I
helped pick out- shame on me), the 900Mhz type I believe, and they are prone
to a lot of interference. They're not too picky about it and just ignore
it for the most part. But, they didn't want to spend any more money,
so that's what they need to do.


On 6/26/06, Mark Lanctot <
Mark.Lanctot.2a0iub1151330701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
> Keep in mind that wireless speakers aren't really wireless anyway.
> They need power.
>
>
> --
>

Mark Lanctot
2006-06-26, 07:25
To also be helpful, my in-laws got a pair of wireless speakers (which I
helped pick out- shame on me), the 900Mhz type I believe, and they are prone
to a lot of interference. They're not too picky about it and just ignore
it for the most part. But, they didn't want to spend any more money,
so that's what they need to do.


Sorry, I didn't want to be unhelpful, it's just that I've never heard anything good about 900 MHz wireless speakers. The audible interference you mention seems to be the main complaint.

The new digital versions ought to be better but would interfere with a wireless network.

There was a mention of an IR transmission method, which would be worth looking into. It would be line-of-sight of course.

Still, nothing beats good old copper.

MeSue
2006-06-26, 08:10
my in-laws got a pair of wireless speakers... 900Mhz type I believe, and they are prone to a lot of interference. They're not too picky about it and just ignore it for the most part.

Have they tried adjusting channels and/or relocating the transmitter? I have a 900Mhz wireless outdoor speaker that was getting constant interference until I moved the transmitter about 4 feet and I haven't had a problem since.

jimdibb
2006-06-26, 11:10
Mark, didn't mean you were unhelpful, just that my comment about the
Squeezebox not being wireless was not helpful, so I wanted to add something.

I did try changing the channels an not much helped.

Interestingly, but annoyingly, I beleive that the bluetooth on my Moto Razr
might cause some of the interference. (or something else to do with my
phone).

I've heard the same very specific, but hard to describe, pattern of clicks,
and muffled beeps, emante from various devices in a variety of settings
including the following:
1. The aforementioned wireless speakers.
2. The wired subwoofer in my living room.
3. A plugged in, but not connected speaker phone in an office conference
room at work.
4. A wireless Sony baby monitor.

It seems totally random as to when it occurs. And very perplexing.

On 6/26/06, Mark Lanctot <
Mark.Lanctot.2a0jzz1151332201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> jimdibb Wrote:
> > To also be helpful, my in-laws got a pair of wireless speakers (which I
> > helped pick out- shame on me), the 900Mhz type I believe, and they are
> > prone
> > to a lot of interference. They're not too picky about it and just
> > ignore
> > it for the most part. But, they didn't want to spend any more money,
> > so that's what they need to do.
> >
>
> Sorry, I didn't want to be unhelpful, it's just that I've never heard
> anything good about 900 MHz wireless speakers. The audible
> interference you mention seems to be the main complaint.
>

Mark Graham
2006-06-26, 17:29
Jim Dibb wrote:
> Mark, didn't mean you were unhelpful, just that my comment about the
> Squeezebox not being wireless was not helpful, so I wanted to add
> something.
>
> I did try changing the channels an not much helped.
>
> Interestingly, but annoyingly, I beleive that the bluetooth on my Moto
> Razr might cause some of the interference. (or something else to do
> with my phone).
>
> I've heard the same very specific, but hard to describe, pattern of
> clicks, and muffled beeps, emante from various devices in a variety of
> settings including the following:
> 1. The aforementioned wireless speakers.
> 2. The wired subwoofer in my living room.
> 3. A plugged in, but not connected speaker phone in an office
> conference room at work.
> 4. A wireless Sony baby monitor.
>
> It seems totally random as to when it occurs. And very perplexing.
> I figured I would ring in on this. I've owned the Advent 900Mhz
> wireless speakers for around 6 years and have been using them with the
> wireless slimserver for about 3 years. I don't use them for the main
> speakers but use them next to the bed while going to sleep. I have
> had an occasional loss of signal or when listening to music with
> extreme bass it might overpower the speakers but a little tweaking of
> the transmitter has fixed this problem. I do agree that the sound is
> not as good as wired speakers but it works out for me. I was getting
> a strange hum that could be heard in between songs but found out that
> it was the cordless telephone base that was next to the speaker. I
> lowered the antenna on the base and the hum went away. If your not
> going to crank these speakers they seem to be a good option.

Mark Graham


> On 6/26/06, *Mark Lanctot*
> <Mark.Lanctot.2a0jzz1151332201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com
> <mailto:Mark.Lanctot.2a0jzz1151332201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>>
> wrote:
>
>
> jimdibb Wrote:
> > To also be helpful, my in-laws got a pair of wireless speakers
> (which I
> > helped pick out- shame on me), the 900Mhz type I believe, and
> they are
> > prone
> > to a lot of interference. They're not too picky about it and just
> > ignore
> > it for the most part. But, they didn't want to spend any more
> money,
> > so that's what they need to do.
> >
>
> Sorry, I didn't want to be unhelpful, it's just that I've never heard
> anything good about 900 MHz wireless speakers. The audible
> interference you mention seems to be the main complaint.
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>

ceejay
2006-06-26, 23:49
Interestingly, but annoyingly, I beleive that the bluetooth on my Moto Razr
might cause some of the interference. (or something else to do with my
phone).

I've heard the same very specific, but hard to describe, pattern of clicks,
and muffled beeps, emante from various devices in a variety of settings
including the following:
1. The aforementioned wireless speakers.
2. The wired subwoofer in my living room.
3. A plugged in, but not connected speaker phone in an office conference
room at work.
4. A wireless Sony baby monitor.

It seems totally random as to when it occurs. And very perplexing.



Yep, that sounds like a mobile phone. They'll interfere with just about anything - remember they are transmitting with enough power to be picked up by a base station that could be miles away. They also "chatter" to the base station even when you're not actually in a call. The only sure way to shut them up is to turn them off! And it may not be anything to do with the bluetooth either - you could try turning it off, but I doubt it will make a difference.

Ceejay