PDA

View Full Version : SB2 and TinyXP

blkwrx
2006-06-20, 14:46
I have finally gotten back to a project I started 6 months ago... Putting a SB2 in my car. I got the idea from another user on this forum who had done it. Anyway, I have a car pc running TinyXP on it. I want to connect the SB2 directly to the pc but right now they are both expecting to be plugged into switch or hub. TinyXP has IIS and other things removed from the system. So I guess my question is does anyone know a way around this?
Thanks

JJZolx
2006-06-20, 15:07
Crossover Ethernet cable?

Or are you running into other issues, like the PC and Squeezebox looking for a DHCP server to get an IP address? Set a static IP address for both of them.

blkwrx
2006-06-20, 15:26
The PC is looking for DHCP. Do I need a crossover cable to connect an SB2 directly to a PC? The SB2 says no cable is connected even though it is.
Thanks for your help

JJZolx
2006-06-20, 15:48
The PC is looking for DHCP.
That should be easy to fix by giving it a static IP address, assuming TinyXP lets you do this. Find the TCP/IP setting for the Local Area Connection.

Do I need a crossover cable to connect an SB2 directly to a PC? The SB2 says no cable is connected even though it is.
Sounds like it. A lot of newer PCs have network cards that can work with either a standard straight-through ethernet cable or with a crossover cable, but yours may not. I'm not certain but I don't don' think the Squeezebox itself has this Auto-MDX capability. If neither the PC nor the SB can do this, then you'll need a crossover cable.

blkwrx
2006-06-20, 15:55
So if I give the OS a static IP that will enable the SB to connect to it?

JJZolx
2006-06-20, 16:02
So if I give the OS a static IP that will enable the SB to connect to it?
If you don't have a DHCP server, that's pretty much your only option for giving the PC an IP address.

But there still may be the cabling issue. I would think that if the cable was correct, then the Squeezebox would report that it has a cable connection. Independant of whether or not the Squeezebox is able to talk to the SlimServer software or even see the PC on the network.

blkwrx
2006-06-20, 16:09
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work I'll pick up a crossover cable tomorrow.

wr420
2006-06-20, 16:23
you probably know this already but just incase make sure the 2 IP's are on the same subnet.

192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0
192.168.1.2 mask 255.255.255.0

wr420

blkwrx
2006-06-20, 16:27
I did. But thanks anyway :)

blkwrx
2006-06-21, 12:13
Crossover cable fixed that problem but I have run into another one... When I install SlimServer on the TinyXP OS I get an error saying "Problem starting SlimServer service: The system cannot find the file specified" After I click ok, finish the install and try to start SLimServer manually it just continually says "SlimServer Starting".

I don't know what file its looking for but it could be that a service that SlimServer needs to run has been removed from TinyXP. Does anyone know what XP services are required by the software? I know its a Perl program and I had to install ActivePerl to get the install to start.

Does SlimServer require IIS?

Thanks for the help

JJZolx
2006-06-21, 12:55
Crossover cable fixed that problem but I have run into another one... When I install SlimServer on the TinyXP OS I get an error saying "Problem starting SlimServer service: The system cannot find the file specified" After I click ok, finish the install and try to start SLimServer manually it just continually says "SlimServer Starting".

I don't know what file its looking for but it could be that a service that SlimServer needs to run has been removed from TinyXP. Does anyone know what XP services are required by the software? I know its a Perl program and I had to install ActivePerl to get the install to start.

Does SlimServer require IIS?
No, SlimServer has its own web server. If you've downloaded and are running the Windows EXE, then you don't need ActiveState Perl. That's only necessary when running the pure Perl version of the server on Windows.

Are you trying to run the SlimServer service (which the Windows installer will create) or are you running SlimServer from the command line. If you run SlimServer from the command line, then you'll often see some useful information if it can't start. Also, you can turn on logging with a command line switch.

slimserver.exe --logfile C:\mylogfile.txt --d_info

blkwrx
2006-06-21, 13:07
No, SlimServer has its own web server. If you've downloaded and are running the Windows EXE, then you don't need ActiveState Perl. That's only necessary when running the pure Perl version of the server on Windows.

Are you trying to run the SlimServer service (which the Windows installer will create) or are you running SlimServer from the command line. If you run SlimServer from the command line, then you'll often see some useful information if it can't start. Also, you can turn on logging with a command line switch.

slimserver.exe --logfile C:\mylogfile.txt --d_info

Yes, it was the windows exe but when I first tried to install it it gave me a perl error. So I downloaded ActivePerl and that went away but I get this other error (they may be related, I don't know).

I am trying to run the SlimServer service but when this is all setup the computer won't even be hooked up to a monitor. Maybe I should use the command line instead. Can you explain the difference?

Thanks again

blkwrx
2006-06-21, 13:21
What directory is the slimserver.exe in. I don't seem to have one (might explain the problem though). I just found out that TinyXP uses UK Location, Keyboard, Etc. I am going to change it to the US and try again.

blkwrx
2006-06-21, 13:37
Well, that didn't fix it. But your right I uninstalled ActivePerl and it didn't get any Perl errors.

I've been clicking on the desktop shortcut which runs SlimTray.exe --Start

Still can't find the slimserver.exe

JJZolx
2006-06-21, 13:56
Well, that didn't fix it. But your right I uninstalled ActivePerl and it didn't get any Perl errors.

I've been clicking on the desktop shortcut which runs SlimTray.exe --Start

Still can't find the slimserver.exe
I run the Perl version on XP, so I'm not positive that's what the Windows EXE name is. Maybe slim.exe?

blkwrx
2006-06-21, 14:21
I run the Perl version on XP, so I'm not positive that's what the Windows EXE name is. Maybe slim.exe?

Slim.exe was there. I tried it but nothing seemed to happen. Do I have to manually create the log file? Maybe I'll just try the Perl version with ActivePerl.

Thanks

blkwrx
2006-06-21, 16:08
Ok, so I apparently don't know enough about Perl to install it...
And I can't seem to get the log file to work.
:(

bpa
2006-06-21, 16:18
Slim.exe is a "compiled" version of all the slimserver Perl files. This means changing the source Perl files on Windows will have no effect.

To run slim.exe by itself you have to do it from a command prompt - it will not work from the "run" box off the start button.

Follow the instruction for Windows below to run slim.exe from a command prompt. Try the d_server log option for your problem.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?LogFile

blkwrx
2006-06-21, 17:01
Slim.exe is a "compiled" version of all the slimserver Perl files. This means changing the source Perl files on Windows will have no effect.

To run slim.exe by itself you have to do it from a command prompt - it will not work from the "run" box off the start button.

Follow the instruction for Windows below to run slim.exe from a command prompt. Try the d_server log option for your problem.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?LogFile

I did run it from the command prompt. I'll follow the wiki directions tomorrow. Maybe I got some of the syntax wrong. Thanks for the link.

blkwrx
2006-06-22, 09:14
Well I have no clue what the problem was but I reinstalled the OS, installed SlimServer, got the same error message but now it works even though I got the error during the install...

So for now I guess my problem is solved :)

Its scanning my music library now. Its 120gb full hd so it may take a while. I'm going to play arround with it a bit before I pull it apart to install in the car.

Thanks for all the help

blkwrx
2006-06-22, 10:07
Ok, I figured out why SlimServer wouldn't start for me... I had the paging file turned off. Its always the last thing you would think of. Apparently, the program needs the paging file to work. That's why it started fine after I reinstalled the OS. That sucks because I am going to be running the OS off a CF card. So I guess I am going to have to put the paging file on the HD with my music on it unless anyone knows a way around the paging file.
Thanks
Jason

JJZolx
2006-06-22, 11:04
Ok, I figured out why SlimServer wouldn't start for me... I had the paging file turned off. Its always the last thing you would think of. Apparently, the program needs the paging file to work. That's why it started fine after I reinstalled the OS. That sucks because I am going to be running the OS off a CF card. So I guess I am going to have to put the paging file on the HD with my music on it unless anyone knows a way around the paging file.
In comparison to the size of your music libary, the storage space on the hard drive used by the paging file should be pretty small. I know you can sometimes run XP without a paging file, but you run the risk of some applications failing. The only way to be sure of that not happening is probably to stuff enough memory into the PC.

In addition to the paging file, I'd also try to put any temporary storage, your database, and any caching folders on the hard drive instead of the CF card. First, you don't really know how large they may grow. Second, you shouldn't keep frequently written files on the flash storage, as it has a limited number of write & erase cycles before if fails. Your paging file, Windows temp folder, SlimServer cache folder, and SlimServe database should probably all be moved to the hard drive.

blkwrx
2006-06-22, 11:21
In comparison to the size of your music libary, the storage space on the hard drive used by the paging file should be pretty small. I know you can sometimes run XP without a paging file, but you run the risk of some applications failing. The only way to be sure of that not happening is probably to stuff enough memory into the PC.

In addition to the paging file, I'd also try to put any temporary storage, your database, and any caching folders on the hard drive instead of the CF card. First, you don't really know how large they may grow. Second, you shouldn't keep frequently written files on the flash storage, as it has a limited number of write & erase cycles before if fails. Your paging file, Windows temp folder, SlimServer cache folder, and SlimServe database should probably all be moved to the hard drive.

Thats a good point. I didn't think of the SlimServer cache folder or database. Just the windows files. Is it easy to move those files? I haven't really been adding a lot of music to my collection recently. But the SlimServer cache folder is going to get written to every time I turn off my car and the computer shuts down.

Thanks again

JJZolx
2006-06-22, 11:41
Thats a good point. I didn't think of the SlimServer cache folder or database. Just the windows files. Is it easy to move those files? I haven't really been adding a lot of music to my collection recently. But the SlimServer cache folder is going to get written to every time I turn off my car and the computer shuts down.
The location of the cache folder can be specified in the slimserver.pref file.

cachedir: C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Cache

The preferences file is another that I'd move, as SlimServer writes to it constantly. You can specify the location of the prefs file as a startup option to slimserver.

slim.exe --prefsfile D:\slimserver.pref

If you're running the EXE as a service, I believe the option is appended to the registry entry at:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\slimsvc\Ima gePath

blkwrx
2006-06-22, 13:26
The location of the cache folder can be specified in the slimserver.pref file.

cachedir: C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Cache

The preferences file is another that I'd move, as SlimServer writes to it constantly. You can specify the location of the prefs file as a startup option to slimserver.

slim.exe --prefsfile D:\slimserver.pref

If you're running the EXE as a service, I believe the option is appended to the registry entry at:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\slimsvc\Ima gePath

How do I edit the preferences file?

I am running the service but I only have
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\slimsvc\Enu m
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\slimsvc\Sec urity
in the registry.

JJZolx
2006-06-22, 13:59
How do I edit the preferences file?
The slimserver.pref file is in the same folder as slim.exe. Stop SlimServer first, then you can use Wordpad to edit it. I don't think Notepad will recognize the unix style newlines.

I am running the service but I only have
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\slimsvc\Enu m
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\slimsvc\Sec urity
in the registry.
ImagePath is a string value in the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\slimsvc key. In regedit, if you highlight that key in the left-hand pane you should see the value names and their data in the right-hand pane.

blkwrx
2006-06-22, 14:03
The slimserver.pref file is in the same folder as slim.exe. Stop SlimServer first, then you can use Wordpad to edit it. I don't think Notepad will recognize the unix style newlines.

I tried notepad but not wordpad...

ImagePath is a string value in the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\slimsvc key. In regedit, if you highlight that key in the left-hand pane you should see the value names and their data in the right-hand pane.

I'll check again maybe I missed it.

Thanks

blkwrx
2006-06-22, 14:28
I edited and moved the prefs file and copied the cache to the dir I specified in the prefs file. Edited the registry with the appended line but when I started up SlimServer it remade the prefs file and the cache dir in the old folder on the c: drive.

Edit- Found a typo please disregard untill I see if it works :) Sorry

blkwrx
2006-06-22, 14:52
Ok, something isn't right with the registry key.

Before it was "C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe"
I changed it to "C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe --prefsfile D:\SlimServer\slimserver.pref"
I put my edited prefs file in the D:\SlimServer dir with a copy of the cache files.
Now SlimServer won't start unless I change the registry back.

JJZolx
2006-06-22, 14:57
Ok, something isn't right with the registry key.

Before it was "C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe"
I changed it to "C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe --prefsfile D:\SlimServer\slimserver.pref"
I put my edited prefs file in the D:\SlimServer dir with a copy of the cache files.
Now SlimServer won't start unless I change the registry back.
Try it with the option outside of the quotes.

"C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe" --prefsfile D:\SlimServer\slimserver.pref

blkwrx
2006-06-22, 15:11
Try it with the option outside of the quotes.

"C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe" --prefsfile D:\SlimServer\slimserver.pref

I should have mentioned. I actually tried that first. I just went and tried it again just to make sure I didn't have a typo.

blkwrx
2006-06-24, 11:25
Ok, just to further test I made a batch file with one line...

run c:\program files\slimserver\server\slim.exe --prefsfile d:\slimserver\slimserver.pref

I put it in the startup folder and rebooted but once again the cache folder was remade in the standard location on drive c. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Jason

JJZolx
2006-06-24, 13:24
Ok, just to further test I made a batch file with one line...

run c:\program files\slimserver\server\slim.exe --prefsfile d:\slimserver\slimserver.pref

I put it in the startup folder and rebooted but once again the cache folder was remade in the standard location on drive c. Any other ideas?
Approach it one step at a time. Modify the prefs file in the standard location to point to a cache folder on another drive. If you get that working, you'll have solved the bulk of getting the dynamic files moved from the flash drive. I don't know why the prefsfile option isn't working. Did you move the file to that location?

blkwrx
2006-06-24, 14:23
Approach it one step at a time. Modify the prefs file in the standard location to point to a cache folder on another drive. If you get that working, you'll have solved the bulk of getting the dynamic files moved from the flash drive. I don't know why the prefsfile option isn't working. Did you move the file to that location?

As suspected I can move the cache file to the drive as long as I leave the pref file in the standard location.

I did move the prefs file to the location. Then used the switch you posted but it still recreates a standard prefs file.

Does the program really need to write to the prefs file because one of the last things done before moving the OS to the CF is to intstall a program that prevents writing to the c: drive?

blkwrx
2006-06-24, 18:01
Well I cheated and installed SLimServer to my D: drive which solved all those problems. Although it created a problem that if the D: drive isn't plugged in when the computer boots then SlimServer doesn't start.

I'm not sure any of this matters though because I installed EWF which stops writing the the c: drive to protect the CF card and it causes everything to run rediculously slowly. Now the system is all messed up and I am going to have to reinstall everything.

Thanks for all the help. Now I have to decide how I am going to do this...

bpa
2006-06-24, 23:52
Under Server Settings/Prefernces - there is a setting (usually 30) about how many secs to wait before writing prefs and when it does I think it dumps all the prefs. I don't think you can stop it, just change the interval.

IIRC If it cannot write to the file it creates a file that is writeable.

You can "see" this regular activity if you enable d_prefs.

blkwrx
2006-06-25, 06:06
The way EWF works is that it writes to RAM. So if I put my cache folder on drive D: which is writable and leave the prefs file on c: the program should think it can write to the file and will just get reverted back to what it was originally on reboot. What information does it save in the prefs file?

blkwrx
2006-06-25, 11:00
Just in case anyone cares about my progress. I was able to make EWF work with SlimServer and disable the paging file by switching out my 128mb ram for 256mb. So I am almost there.

SlimServer is still installed on drive d: I would like to move it to drive C: and just keep the prefs and cache folders on drive D: Although I suppose it doesn't matter. It would still mean drive D: would need to be plugged in when SlimServer starts.

Now for a question... How do I have SlimServer update the music library without user interaction? Is there a "slim.exe --command" that I can call in the startup scrip? Also, in case anyone knows the answer I am looking for a way to call the SlimServer to start when the D: (USB drive) is plugged in.

Thanks again, the users on this forum have been a great help. Especially Jim

DutchKarma
2006-12-07, 07:44
In your C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\ directory there is also a scanner.exe
This is the updater that you can run manually.
use scanner -? and it prints the options it supports.
For instance:
scanner D:\Musicdirectory --rescan --cleanup
Will look for new and changed files in the specified directory and perform a database cleanup afterwards.

Regarding your usb drive question , i don't know.