PDA

View Full Version : types.conf - ignore mp3s

coffeebucket
2006-06-20, 07:21
I've had my Squeezebox 3 for a week now and I'm quite happy with it. Slimserver, on the other hand, has caused me a few problems.

When my Squeezebox arrived I quickly set it up, installed Slimserver 6.3 (2006-06-08) and pointed it to my music directory. I had it playing music in under 30 mins. With the exception of a few mp3s, my entire collection is flac images with embedded CD-TEXT style cue sheets. I've also kept the original cue files in the same directory as each flac just in case.

In fine tuning the configuration, I wanted Slimserver to ignore every audio format except flac (specifically .mp3 and .cue). After looking around these forums, it seemed the best way to achieve this was to edit types.conf and remove, or comment out, the unwanted formats; which is exactly what I did.

To be sure the changes would take effect I stopped Slimserver, deleted the contents of server\Cache and rescanned the music directory. Once completed, Slimserver showed I had 996 albums in my collection: the exact the number .flac files in the directory and what I was hoping for.

When I fired up the Squeezebox and tried to play an album, nothing happened. The web interface indicated the whole album had been added to the current playlist but nothing was being played. Softsqueeze on two different machines produced the same result.

Over the next few days I tried a combination of clearing the cache, rescanning the music directory and installing new nightly builds. When none of these worked, I went back to the types.conf file and started un-commenting the formats I'd removed. By trial and error, I found that mp3 needs to be left in tact. I.e. the following line must be in types.conf

mp3 mp2,mp3 audio/mpeg audio
If Slimserver is only dealing with flacs, and I don't want it to perform any transcoding/downsampling to mp3, what is the need for this line to exist?

Because the line was commented out when I initially created the database, mp3 files that are in the music directory are excluded. However when it comes time for Slimserver to "Look for new and changed music", it's going to add them again. How can I get Slimserver to ignore the mp3s in this directory in future?

Down the track I may want to include mp3s from certain directories but not others. Is there a method to specify which formats Slimserver should look for in certain directories?

Smiley Dan
2006-06-21, 05:12
Down the track I may want to include mp3s from certain directories but not others. Is there a method to specify which formats Slimserver should look for in certain directories?
Funnily enough I want a similar thing. Where multiple copies of a song are stored, SlimServer should see only the highest quality (in my case, FLAC).

I may have multiple copies where I want to synchronise my library with a portable player, for instance transcode to OGG and put on the portable device.

Given my slimserver mounts the music via NFS I could do something smart... or if it mounted a samba share I could do a bit of VFS jazz.... but I'm interested how other people have done this.

Ian Whalley
2006-06-21, 09:30
> Funnily enough I want a similar thing. Where multiple copies of a song
> are stored, SlimServer should see only the highest quality (in my case,
> FLAC).

You chaps should vote for:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=775

Best;

inw

P.S. Am biased, as I raised the bug in question :).

--
Ian Whalley inw @ whalley . org

coffeebucket
2006-06-22, 23:07
I run parallel FLAC and MP3 collections in a similar way to Ian for devices and software that don't support FLAC natively (namely iPods and iTunes.) However, using acdir (http://nyaochi.sakura.ne.jp/xoops/modules/mysoftwares/tc_2.html) and the "advanced example" outlined in the documentation, I maintain the two in separate file structures. I.e.
D:\music\images\albums\<album>\<artist> (for FLAC disc images)
D:\music\compressed\albums\<album>\<artist> (for individual MP3 files for each track)

When ripping CDs, each disc produces a .flac, .cue and .log (EAC log file). In trying to preserve as much of the original CD as possible, if the disc has a data component ("CD Extra" bonus content), I'll copy it into a "DATA" directory i.e.
D:\music\images\album\<artist>\<album>\DATA

Initially I though pointing Slimserver to D:\music\images would pretty much guarantee it only read the FLAC images. However, when seemingly random albums started appearing, it dawned on me that Slimserver was picking up media files (such as .mov, .wav, .aif and .mp3) from these "DATA" directories. This was the reason for commenting out nearly evey audio type in types.conf.

I also have a third directory for music that didn't originate from a CD rip (e.g. podcasts, net label (http://www.mono211.com/content/cds.html) releases, etc.)
D:\music\other (mostly MP3s)

An ideal situation would be to set the music root as D:\music and have Slimserver
- read only FLACs from "images"
- read MP3s from "other"
- completely ignore "compressed"

So far, I can get Slimserver to ignore "compressed" by creating a dummy music root (D:\music\slimroot), and creating shortcuts to "images" and "other". If commenting out the MP3 line in types.conf actually worked, only the FLACs from "images" would be read but the contents of "other" would be ignored.

The only thing I've found so far that may solve the problem is a suggestion to implement a per-direcotry config file. (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1700) Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

JJZolx
2006-06-23, 00:09
Funnily enough I want a similar thing. Where multiple copies of a song are stored, SlimServer should see only the highest quality (in my case, FLAC).

I may have multiple copies where I want to synchronise my library with a portable player, for instance transcode to OGG and put on the portable device.

Given my slimserver mounts the music via NFS I could do something smart... or if it mounted a samba share I could do a bit of VFS jazz.... but I'm interested how other people have done this.
I don't see how, nor why this should be done.

How does SlimServer determine that two different files are the "same song"? For instance, I have as many as three masterings and releases of some albums in my library. All are in Flac format. Same album name, same track names, sometimes they differ in length by a couple seconds, sometimes they're the same, and some releases of albums will have additional tracks. I want each of these versions to remain in the library and be selectable. I don't want SlimServer saying version #1 or #2 or #3 is going to be played whenever I say play album version #2. You have the same thing when you have a Flac version, plus an mp3 version of a track. Unless you put them in the same folder, or used some other mechanism to _explicitly_ tell SlimServer they're from the same album, how in the world can it know?

What I'd do if I kept a parallel mp3 or ogg library is simply keep that directory tree outside of the designated SlimServer music folder.

chiphart
2006-06-23, 03:40
JJZolx wrote:
> How does SlimServer determine that two different files are the "same
> song"? For instance, I have as many as three masterings and releases
> of some albums in my library. All are in Flac format. Same album
> name, same track names, sometimes they differ in length by a couple
> seconds, sometimes they're the same, and some releases of albums will
> have additional tracks. I want each of these versions to remain in the
> library and be selectable.

I'm curious: how do YOU tell them apart?

In theory, though I could be wrong, whatever method you use to
identify them could be used to determine duplicates that differ
only by encoding and extension.

--
Chip Hart - Pediatric Solutions * Physician's Computer Company
chip @ pcc.com * 1 Main St. #7, Winooski, VT 05404
800-722-7708 * http://www.pcc.com/~chip
f.802-846-8178 * Pediatric Software Just Got Smarter.
Your Practice Just Got Healthier.

coffeebucket
2006-06-25, 18:27
What I'd do if I kept a parallel mp3 or ogg library is simply keep that directory tree outside of the designated SlimServer music folder.

... which is exactly what I do. Having Slimserver ignore "identical" tracks in different formats is not the issue here.