PDA

View Full Version : No bass coming out of my sub

gwiddicombe
2006-06-20, 00:44
I have an SB3 connected to a Yamaha 757 amp. I'm really pleased with the setup, but no bass is coming out of my sub when listening to music. The amp and sub work fine when watching movies etc.

Server details: SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

My music collection is in MP3 currently.

Dick Sternum
2006-06-20, 03:53
My guess is that your MP3 files don't go deep enough to cause the amp to move from using the fronts to using the sub.

Somewhere in your amps setup will be the option to set the size of the front speakers - generally "large" means that they are able to handle bass OK and "small" means they can't. If you have your speakers set to large then chances are the amp will never use the sub when listening to music unless you can turn on a surround mode that uses it (stereo + sub for example).

The reason that movies play OK is the .1 in the 5.1 which is the dedicated sub channel.

funkstar
2006-06-20, 04:06
The amp may also just be taking the stereo signal and using the front two speakers like a basic stereo would. My Pioneer surround amp can do this, they call it Direct Stereo. I usually have it set to Surround: Music instead, that way it uses the surround speakers and the sub.

gwiddicombe
2006-06-20, 07:19
My guess is that your MP3 files don't go deep enough to cause the amp to move from using the fronts to using the sub.

Somewhere in your amps setup will be the option to set the size of the front speakers - generally "large" means that they are able to handle bass OK and "small" means they can't. If you have your speakers set to large then chances are the amp will never use the sub when listening to music unless you can turn on a surround mode that uses it (stereo + sub for example).

The reason that movies play OK is the .1 in the 5.1 which is the dedicated sub channel.

From memory, I did set up the front speakers to be "large" - I'll check tonight.

Thanks.

gwiddicombe
2006-06-20, 07:20
The amp may also just be taking the stereo signal and using the front two speakers like a basic stereo would. My Pioneer surround amp can do this, they call it Direct Stereo. I usually have it set to Surround: Music instead, that way it uses the surround speakers and the sub.

The amp is currently set to "Surround: advanced" (or something similar). I'll double check the settings tonight and see how I get on.

Thanks.

ChrisOwens
2006-06-20, 12:09
Depending on how your sub's hooked up, you might also check the polarity of the connections.

If you are sending one channel 180-degrees out of phase, the bass (which isn't typically very different from left to right) can get canceled out!

gwiddicombe
2006-06-21, 09:11
For info, as was mentioned on this thread, the fact that my rear speakers were set to 'Large' in the Yamaha 757 settings, was the reason why I wasn't getting bass out of my sub when playing MP3's. I changed the setting to 'Small' and now everything is fine.

Thanks

G