PDA

View Full Version : What handheld to use as a remote?

gwiddicombe
2006-06-19, 08:47
I was having a search around the forums last night trying to find information regarding what devices could best be suited for a 'Sonos-type' remote. Looking around, the Nokia 770 seems to get a lot of votes. However, I was Googling other sites, and reviews say it can be quite slow.

What other devices do people use for this? Price wise, the Nokia would be right at the top end of my budget.

G

mherger
2006-06-19, 09:12
> What other devices do people use for this?

Give the Handheld skin a try (http://yourserver:9000/Handheld/). If you
like it you can take any PDA with wireless connectivity.

Beside the Nokia 770 you'll find most support for wireless PocketPCs
(SlimRemote, Telcanto).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

shawkie
2006-06-20, 05:29
You might also consider the Dell Axim x51v. I've done some work on a dedicated skin for it (which should work on similar WM5 devices). Unfortunately I don't have a Nokia 770 so I can't comment on relative speeds.

MeSue
2006-06-20, 15:50
I've been using a Dell Axim x51v with the handheld skin. Just wish it had sleep and brightness controls since I use it in the bedroom.

cshaida
2006-06-20, 16:50
I've got an Axim AND a 770. I much prefer the 770 but I think it comes down to personal preference. Independent of its use as a sb remote I like the 770 better (since I can actually browse websites on it) so perhaps my preference isn't 'pure'?

'Slowness' in my experience is a matter of habit and perception. There is a certain amount of 'slowness' that comes from the wireless/sb/slimserver setup itself from time to time and those of us who love the sb just internalize that 'speed'--much for me like with tivo where certain things just take some time (ie, even when using the supplied remote there are times when it takes a while to process commands on one of my sbs). I don't perceive the 770 to ADD slowness to that equation. It seems to me that generally it works as 'fast' as the browser version.

(btw, I know I'm not exactly making a sales pitch for the axim above but if despite that you end up being interested in the axim I've got one w gps, extra memory cards, etc. that I'd be happy to unload!?)

fauzigarib
2006-06-21, 01:43
Hey there,

Taking this a little further, how do the Palm Devices (specifically the TX) and the Imate JAMin function as a remote?

Both do have wireless capability.. but are the plugins reasonably compatible?

Anyone have any experience with the above units?

-Fauzi

gwiddicombe
2006-06-21, 05:56
I've got an Axim AND a 770. I much prefer the 770 but I think it comes down to personal preference. Independent of its use as a sb remote I like the 770 better (since I can actually browse websites on it) so perhaps my preference isn't 'pure'?

'Slowness' in my experience is a matter of habit and perception. There is a certain amount of 'slowness' that comes from the wireless/sb/slimserver setup itself from time to time and those of us who love the sb just internalize that 'speed'--much for me like with tivo where certain things just take some time (ie, even when using the supplied remote there are times when it takes a while to process commands on one of my sbs). I don't perceive the 770 to ADD slowness to that equation. It seems to me that generally it works as 'fast' as the browser version.

(btw, I know I'm not exactly making a sales pitch for the axim above but if despite that you end up being interested in the axim I've got one w gps, extra memory cards, etc. that I'd be happy to unload!?)

Thanks. I think I'm going to go for the 770.

Is the Nokia website the best (i.e., cheapest!) place to get it from? I'm UK based and it's on there for 245. I have had a Google etc., but can't find it cheaper than that. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places though...

kanoot
2006-06-21, 07:32
I've used the 770 for a couple months now and I don't like it. The main problem I have with it is that it goes to sleep too quickly and that setting can't be changed except but by a couple seconds. The other thing that I don't like is that there is no real way to use it without the pen which slows down the process quite a bit - I've found myself using the SB remote and my laptop more than the 770 and will probably get rid of it at some point.

Just my 2 cents.

gwiddicombe
2006-06-21, 09:26
Sorry another question regarding the 770.

The 770 can be used as a network music player, which is a feature I would definately use. I've Googled etc., but I can't find out if the Sony PSP or Dell Axim also have this ability.

Can anyone help?

shawkie
2006-06-21, 10:52
The Dell Axim can be used a network music player but you'd have to get extra software to do it. Unfortunately, as far as I'm concerned the sound quality of the Axim hardware is simply not good enough. Can't comment on Sony PSP or Nokia 770.

funkstar
2006-06-21, 10:54
i believe you can get the built in media player to connect to http://<your slimserver ip>:9000/stream.mp3 and then manage the playlist from the web interface.

Simon Still
2006-06-21, 12:22
I use my 770 as a network player connected to some powered speakers. It
works fine but you don't get the control that you do with a squeezebox (hit
pause and it plays out the buffer for example) but it does give you a bit of
extra value out of it.

I've got a Jamin as well but i've not managed to get it connected to my
wireless net yet (i just need to check my keys i think). the screen will
probably be too small and low res to use effectively as an SB remote (but on
the other hand it could be free as an upgrade phone rather than 245)

the 770 is a nice device but i really don't think it's worth that amount of
money - an older pda would probably be a lot faster and cheaper.

On 6/21/06, funkstar <funkstar.29rk5n1150912501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> i believe you can get the built in media player to connect to
> http://<your slimserver ip>:9000/stream.mp3 and then manage the
> playlist from the web interface.
>
>
>

byronsp
2006-06-23, 14:31
i'm looking forward to Opera on the Nintendo DS, might be a little different and more usable. 2 screens would be great as well!

pedalvet
2006-07-05, 08:47
Hey there,

Taking this a little further, how do the Palm Devices (specifically the TX) and the Imate JAMin function as a remote?

Both do have wireless capability.. but are the plugins reasonably compatible?

Anyone have any experience with the above units?

-Fauzi

I'm using a Palm Treo 700p (not the TX) as a remote. The handheld interface is clunky on this device at best, but it works. Blazer (the built in web browser) tends to redraw pages from cache, necessitating numerous commands to refresh. I connect over the internet, not WIFI. Thanks to EVDO speed, it is manageable.

CardinalFang
2006-07-05, 12:22
The 770 can be used as a network music player, which is a feature I would definately use. I've Googled etc., but I can't find out if the Sony PSP or Dell Axim also have this ability.
Can anyone help?
The PSP can play networked music by using iTunes and exporting playlists as RSS links. The software you use is called iTunes RRS Server (XP only) and you can get it here: http://trickster.bulknews.net/trac.cgi/wiki/ITunesRssServer

If you've used iTunes to record music and you use MP3's then you can use the PSP as a network player over WiFi - I've used it this way. The PSP is only 802.11b though, so it will slow down a SB 3 network. Sound quality is pretty decent though, it was designed as a media player from day 1. It is a match for an iPod for sure.

Personally, now that the PSP can display Flash content, I'd like to see Flash based interface that can match the Sonus devices, it'd be half the price and be really cool.

Paul

Zten
2006-07-05, 15:11
I'm using a Palm Treo 700p (not the TX) as a remote. The handheld interface is clunky on this device at best, but it works. Blazer (the built in web browser) tends to redraw pages from cache, necessitating numerous commands to refresh. I connect over the internet, not WIFI. Thanks to EVDO speed, it is manageable.

Wow, your using the cell phone over Verizon's EVDO network just to control your SB. Doesn't that cost alot of money???

pedalvet
2006-07-05, 18:47
Wow, your using the cell phone over Verizon's EVDO network just to control your SB. Doesn't that cost alot of money???

Unlimited data for $15 a month (Sprint not Verizon)

Zten
2006-07-05, 20:40
Well, Sprint is a lot cheaper than VZW. Unlimited data for my Q on VZW costs $45. Anyway, using EVDO data to control the SB seems excessive when you already have a FREE, HI SPEED wireless data setup in your home assuming you use a wireless SB.

deserttaxguy
2006-08-29, 19:26
I use my Palm in a wireless environment and I like the way it works. I will say though, if the squeezebox remote is sitting next to my Palm, I will pick up the squeezebox remote and use that.

The advantage to the Palm comes from being out of the area of the squeezebox player, such as outdoors (using wireless speakers) where the wait for a connection is not as burdensome as sitting in your living room looking at squeezebox, going through the WiFi login to adjust volume or change tracks. If you have visual (IR) control with the dedicated remote provided by squeezebox it's certainly faster. But if I'm in my garage or on the patio and being able to control with Palm is a nice feature.

botzen67
2006-09-17, 20:38
The Dell Axim can be used a network music player but you'd have to get extra software to do it.

What software can you get to use the AXIM as a player? I can't seem to get the built in media player to work

tuaski
2006-09-18, 09:31
I just sold my SB1 and now have an SB3. I have a Russound distributed audio system in my house that my SB3 is connected to, so I need to be able to control the SB3 from anywhere in my house or outside.

I have used a number of different mobile devices as a remote and all have worked great. I have used an HP IPAQ and currently, in my Wi-Fi environment in my house, I use a Psion netPad (http://www.handheld-pcs.com/view_product.asp?ID=53) which has a 1/2 VGA screen and works great with the SlimServer handheld web interface. (I'm in the barcode and supply chain industry so I'm lucky to have access to devices like this).

When I am outside and don't have the netPad handy, I use my Windows Smartphone (Audiovox SMT5600) and my Cingular data plan to access the SlimServer. The screen is small, but the small form factor of the phone means that if I'm in the garage and want to change music thats playing on my deck, I can just pull out the phone and make a change. Works great and the messaging is so small that it does not tax my monthly mobile data plan for my phone (I have a 4MB max per month and have never gone over).

NOW! What I would really like is a mobile interface for SqueezeNetwork. I get contol errors on my mobile devices when trying to access SqueezeNetwork. My guess is that the site was not built for mobile browsers. Since I upgraded to the SB3, I love being able to access Pandora and internet radio stations without turning on my media server. However, I have to control this with the SB3 remote and not my mobile devices.

Anyone know if a mobile interface for SqueezeNetowrk is coming?

tomjtx
2006-09-19, 13:56
330.00 on bay with no wait , should be 13 left as I just bought one

polocruz
2006-10-04, 17:54
Can anyone compare the web interface performance using these devices. I would love to get a 770, but Tigerdirect has PSP (refurbs) for less than $140.

I have no experience using the PSP, but I've used an ooooold NEC pocket pc with the handheld skin. ...cool but slow. Which skin would one use with the PSP?

Ramage
2006-10-04, 23:11
What software can you get to use the AXIM as a player? I can't seem to get the built in media player to work
You are right the built-in media player is very limited.
I use an x50v to control and play music from SS using the handheld skin and GSPlayer http://www.freewareppc.com/multimedia/gsplayer.shtml
or an alternative player called TCPMP http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/about although I prefer GSPlayer.

You can also use these players to play internet radio streams independently of SS

mherger
2006-10-05, 00:20
> I have no experience using the PSP, but I've used an ooooold NEC pocket
> pc with the handheld skin. ...cool but slow. Which skin would one use
> with the PSP?

I think the problem of using PSP is that it lacks a touch screen.
Navigating it using some buttons might be too cumbersome to be seriously
considered with any skin.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

luuk
2006-11-21, 03:08
All you need on the Palm (TX) is to use the browser (Blazer) and go to http://local_ip:9000:handheld/. It also works without the "handheld" but with it it is much easier to control your SB.

A big thanks to the guys who developed the Handheld interface!

Luuk

bergek
2006-11-21, 16:30
I have no experience using the PSP, but I've used an ooooold NEC pocket pc with the handheld skin. ...cool but slow. Which skin would one use with the PSP?

I have big problems when using a PSP as remote, regardless of whether I access the standard web pages or the /handheld version.

It seems that the PSP is overly eager to cache web pages. One example of this is that repeatedly changing the volume between two levels stops working after both URLs have been requested. I haven't had the time to check the HTTP headers sent from Slimserver but I assume that it sends correct cache control data so that a proper web browser would not cache the pages. I will check more but if someone has experienced the same problem and has a solution to it I would be happy to hear about it.