PDA

View Full Version : Nightly won't restart after rescan

tamanaco
2006-06-19, 05:47
I have installed the past few 2 or 3 Windows nightlys and have found that:

1. Slimserver won't start automatically after the first initial start following installation.
2. After re-installing the nightlys from scratch and scanning my library, the Slimserver starts, but not all my songs are listed correctly. The installation scan misses songs with non-english characters and my flac songs are not picked up correctly. The SB shows a bunch of blank entries, but is able to play the songs that are listed correctly.
3. After a clear and rescan from the Web interface, everything comes out roses. The server starts after the rescan and all the flac files are there along with the songs with non-english characters in their titles. The SB plays everything and I can navigate the library without gliches. I even feel that the SB is a bit faster.
4. THE PROBLEM -> After rescaning the library the server won't start automatically or manually if I reboot. I get that pesky can't connect to MySQL error again. Below is what I get when I tried to restart the latest nightly from the command prompt.

C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server>slim.exe --d_mysql --d_server
2006-06-19 08:27:49.4074 SlimServer OSDetect init...
2006-06-19 08:27:49.4084 SlimServer OS Specific init...
2006-06-19 08:27:49.4093 SlimServer saving pid file.
2006-06-19 08:27:49.4101 SlimServer settings effective user and group if request
ed...
2006-06-19 08:27:49.4134 SlimServer settings init...
2006-06-19 08:27:50.0784 SlimServer strings init...
2006-06-19 08:27:54.3946 SlimServer Setup init...
2006-06-19 08:27:54.9854 SlimServer setting language...
2006-06-19 08:27:54.9867 SlimServer MySQL init...
2006-06-19 08:27:55.0360 MySQLHelper: createConfig() Creating config from file:
[C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\MySQL\my.tt] -> [C:\Program Files\SlimServer
\server\Cache\my.cnf].
2006-06-19 08:27:57.5691 MySQLHelper: startServer() About to start MySQL with co
mmand: [C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread\mysqld.e
xe --defaults-file=C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server\Cache\my.cnf --pid-file=C:\Progra
m Files\SlimServer\server\Cache\slimserver-mysql.pid]
2006-06-19 08:27:57.6893 SlimServer Info init...
2006-06-19 08:28:02.6164 DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::dbh(): DBI Connection failed
: DBI connect('hostname=127.0.0.1;port=9092;database=sli mserver','slimserver',..
.) failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061) at C:\Program Fi
les\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 407
2006-06-19 08:28:02.7061 Got to the END.
2006-06-19 08:28:02.7159 Got sigint.
2006-06-19 08:28:02.7257 SlimServer cleaning up.
2006-06-19 08:28:02.7356 ERROR: forceCommit: Trying to commit transactions befor
e DB is initialized!

2006-06-19 08:28:04.7194 MySQLHelper: stopServer() Killing pid: [424]
2006-06-19 08:28:24.7682 ERROR: MySQLHelper: stopServer() - server didn't shutdo
wn in 20 seconds!

Triode
2006-06-19, 10:52
Does the problem restarting happen everytime you do this?

If you start the database on its own:C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread\mysqld.e
xe --defaults-file=C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server\Cache\my.cnf --pid-file=C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Cache\slimserver-mysql.pid

Then start slimserver a few seconds later, does it work?
[must admit I've not tried to do this, but speculating the issue is the database taking too long to get into a state to receive connections]

tamanaco
2006-06-19, 11:55
Does the problem restarting happen everytime you do this?

Yes... The only way I can get the Slimserver to restart is if I do NOT run the clear/rescan from the Slimserver web settings to fix the library problems.

If you start the database on its own:C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread\mysqld.e
xe --defaults-file=C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server\Cache\my.cnf --pid-file=C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Cache\slimserver-mysql.pid

Then start slimserver a few seconds later, does it work?

When I tried running the command from the C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread folder I get the following error below which seems to be related to either a long name in the path or a blank invalid character that is invalid for the argument after C:\Program

(note: there only one blank after the word Program, but the line would not fit in the Reply to Thread window, so it is adjusted as it's posted)

mysqld.exe --defaults-file=C:\Program Files\Slimserver\server\Cache\my.cnf --pid-file=C:\Program
Files\SlimServer\server\Cache\slimserver-mysql.pid
Could not open required defaults file: C:\Program
Fatal error in defaults handling. Program aborted

Edit: Forgot to ask... Is there a parameter that one can use to increase the wait time for the database initialization?

Triode
2006-06-19, 12:04
Arh - you need to avoid the command line seeing the spaces as separating paramters - put the whole filename in quotes.

tamanaco
2006-06-19, 13:39
Arh - you need to avoid the command line seeing the spaces as separating paramters - put the whole filename in quotes.

Unless I placed the quotes in the wrong place... My DOS is getting a bit rusty... I did not get any messages and I did not see the mysqld.exe process start via my process viewer.

From C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread>
mysqld.exe --defaults-file=C:"\Program Files\Slimserver\server\Cache\my.cnf" --pid-file=C:"\Prog
ram files\slimserver\server\cache\slimserver-mysql.pid"

tamanaco
2006-06-20, 03:36
Triode, I think you're right... there might be a timing issue with MySQL. I started the server computer this morning to download and install the newest nightly and to my amasement the server had automatically started succesfully. No errors whatsoever in the log.txt. Yesterday, I rebooted the computer and restarted the server several times and I could not get the Slimserver to start.

All the songs are listed, but there still a problem when navigating an album while one its songs playing. I can not use the up and down keys to select the next or previous song. I have to go back to browsing and return to the playing album in order to select another song.

On to install the latest nightly.

EDIT:
Installed the 06/20 nightly and the server restarts automatically after I reboot and stops and starts manually from the desktop. No errors or messages in the log.txt. Go figure.

In regards to navigating within an album, the up/down freeze happens after I try to fast-forward a song.

I did not check all the albums yesterday, but now I notice that the albums that I ripped using WMA have songs listed twice. I had only been testing using my flac ripped albums.

On to clear and rescan

EDIT:
After clear/rescan all WMA albums have duplicates of every song. I used WMP 10 to rip those albums. FLAC ripped albums are fine. No errors in the log

tamanaco
2006-06-22, 09:27
EDIT:
After clear/rescan all WMA albums have duplicates of every song. I used WMP 10 to rip those albums. FLAC ripped albums are fine. No errors in the log

I just installed 06/22 nightly and I still have the same problems. The scan following a fresh install picks up my WMA files, but not my flac files. When I run clear/rescan from the web interface all my flac albums are picked up, but all the WMA albums have duplicate track entries.

I also notice that ther is a new firmware release for the Squeezebox. Under browse I now see Years and New Music options. Nice touch, now I tell how old I'm getting based on the age of my music library. What other new feature were added to this new firmware release?

kdf
2006-06-22, 09:58
I also notice that ther is a new firmware release for the Squeezebox. Under browse I now see Years and New Music options. Nice touch, now I tell how old I'm getting based on the age of my music library. What other new feature were added to this new firmware release?

Firmware fixes can be found here:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/?rev=8096&view=rev

The Years browse and new albums browse are server side features, and are in the web UI of the 6.2.2 official release, and have been around for some time. Browse New Music, for example was added to (the web interface at least) at rev 2095 on Wed Feb 16 14:27:51 2005 PST

-kdf

tamanaco
2006-06-22, 20:25
The Years browse and new albums browse are server side features, and are in the web UI of the 6.2.2 official release, and have been around for some time. Browse New Music, for example was added to (the web interface at least) at rev 2095 on Wed Feb 16 14:27:51 2005 PST -kdf

Now I know that I'm really getting old. I've been browsing artists, albums and tracks so much as I play with the betas that I guess I have forgotten about the other choices below browse. When I updated the SB to the new firmware and navigated down below browse those choices looked new to me. Oh, well.

tamanaco
2006-06-26, 13:48
Still having the same problems with the last three Windows nightly 6.5b1 builds.

- After a clean install the initial scan only picks up the WMA ripped albums.

- On Clear/Rescan from web interface, the scan picks up the FLAC albums, but I get duplicate tracks in all my WMA albums.

Before re-installing I have removed all Slimserver program folders and clear the registry of any Slimserver entries. I have also tested using a folder with just a couple freshly ripped Flac and WMA albums, but I still get the same result. There are no messages in the log.

Anyone else having this problem with the Windows beta builds?

Dan Sully
2006-06-26, 13:59
* tamanaco shaped the electrons to say...

>Still having the same problems with the last three Windows nightly 6.5b1
>builds.
>
>- After a clean install the initial scan only picks up the WMA ripped
>albums.
>
>- On Clear/Rescan from web interface, the scan picks up the FLAC
>albums, but I get duplicate tracks in all my WMA albums.

Please file a bug with steps to reproduce, any sample files that might be
helpful. Additionally, please state if you are using any of:

iTunes, MusicMagic/MusicIP or MoodLogic.

Also please state if you have an audiodir set, or are using one of the above importers only.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/

Thanks.

-D
--
<faisal> my life is collapsing to what will soon be NEGATIVE INTEGER degrees of separation.

tamanaco
2006-06-26, 16:11
Please file a bug with steps to reproduce, any sample files that might be helpful. Additionally, please state if you are using any of:

iTunes, MusicMagic/MusicIP or MoodLogic.

Also please state if you have an audiodir set, or are using one of the above importers only.

Bug 3641 filed

tamanaco
2006-06-29, 05:20
Cleared and Scanned this morning with last night's build and the duplicates in the WMA ripped albums are gone.

Thanks guys