PDA

View Full Version : Advice would be appreciated!!

flocknocker
2006-06-17, 11:16
I currently have a squeezebox2 . I have a finished barn located 300' away from the location of the Squeezebox. Would it be ideal for me to run a cat 5 wire to the barn, buy another squeezebox, and link the two together so I can enjoy my music out in the barn? Could I get away with using a squeezebox 1 in the barn? I could use a few ideas...... Thanks in advance!!!

pfarrell
2006-06-17, 11:25
flocknocker wrote:
> I currently have a squeezebox2 . I have a finished barn located 300'
> away from the location of the Squeezebox. Would it be ideal for me to
> run a cat 5 wire to the barn, buy another squeezebox, and link the two
> together so I can enjoy my music out in the barn? Could I get away with
> using a squeezebox 1 in the barn? I could use a few ideas......

Sure, drag the cable, bury it, and be happy.
A SB1 or SB1-G will work fine with a cable.

Of course, you really connect each SqueezeBox to the SlimServer, not to
each other. You can sync them, but its not clear to me it is
worth it when they are 100 yards apart.

You might even talk me into selling one of my SB1s so I can get
a SB2 or 3

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Pale Blue Ego
2006-06-17, 18:27
You might also try Homeplug technology. Powerline networking. 2 homeplug units run about $90, which might be cheaper than 300' of Cat5 - and you won't have to bury 300' of wire.

sebage
2006-06-29, 15:30
I can weigh in with another Powerline recommendation. I just bought a pair of the Netgear adaptors. I live in NYC and gradually the interference of the 20+ (and growing) wireless networks that battle with my own G network - regardless of channel - was really getting frustrating. The adaptors are literally plug and play and easily have enough bandwidth to stream FLAC to my SB3. No more drop outs, choppy sections or command latency!

The other machines on my wireless network are also now more content, as there isn't a flood on bandwidth every 4 mins when the track changes!

Good solution!

ajmitchell
2006-06-30, 00:17
Just a thought, but streaming over that distance may be a problem. As mentioned, the advantage of synching would be minimal because how would you ever know, unless you phoned someone in the main house! Why not consider a small seperate server for the barn. It would be easy to dubplicate your files onto a cheap home built server and this doesn;t have to be powerful.

Simon
2006-06-30, 00:41
Can I just point out that Cat-5/6/7 cables are not waterproof, and be careful with the runs as you are hitting the maximum distance for Cat-5 before errors kick in.

Regards
Simon

seanadams
2006-06-30, 01:16
I currently have a squeezebox2 . I have a finished barn located 300' away from the location of the Squeezebox. Would it be ideal for me to run a cat 5 wire to the barn, buy another squeezebox, and link the two together so I can enjoy my music out in the barn? Could I get away with using a squeezebox 1 in the barn? I could use a few ideas...... Thanks in advance!!!

Have you already trenched for electrical and/or telephone?

If you're digging anyway, run 1/2 to 3/4" grey pvc conduit and pull CAT5 through it. They do make outdoor CAT5 (black jacket) which is not very expensive, but conduit is not a big deal, so if I were doing it I'd use both.

NB 300' = 91m. Ethernet is limited to 100m so you're pushing it. Get the best cable (350MHz CAT5, or CAT6 outdoor if you can find it) and terminate it as close as reasonably possible to where it comes out of the ground. Then put a switch on either end and extend from there.

However, while ethernet is best, I wouldn't bother running wire unless you're already planning to dig. First try ethernet-over-power. That might not work because of the distance. If you don't mind some tinkering, you might try 802.11g with directional antennas. About $800 should get you a pair of high quality parabolic dishes, cables, and a pair of linksys WET54G or similar - I'm not sure what bridges people use for directional links these days but I guess those would work fine.

Or if you really want to get wanky you can pull fiber...

tommyz
2006-06-30, 02:14
100m free air can be bridged wireless almost out of the box.
So I would also suggest going wireless with directional antennas.

I thing that 1 directionl antenna at the house would be sufficient, use a SB2 with wireless on the other side.

There are quite a few plans on the web to build your own directional antenna.

ciao, TommyZ