PDA

View Full Version : Where to place the music files?!

merlin_x
2006-06-16, 11:49
Hi there,

I just purchaced a brand new squezze box and everything works fine. However there are some really anoing things where I do not know how to solve and I was hoping to get the answer here.

The problem is the place of the music files. Currently I do have my laptop running with slim server and itunes installed. If I shut the notbook down I do not have access to my music files, but I do not want to have my laptop running all time long. As I do not want in any case to place a PC of any kind into my rooms there are 2 solutions which came to my mind:

1. I do have a linux box running 24/7 inside my office so I could install it there. But the problem is, that an static IP costs 15 Euro per month which puts a very high price tag on this solution. As far as I know you can only enter an IP, and not a domain name from example from dnydns.org into the settings?

2. I would by anouth device. A NAS System. Problem here is, that I fear that slimserver would not work with it. I have not found any recommendations inside the guide book which ones work with slimserver and which do not.

With both solutions there comes another huge problem. As far as I understand, slimserver does only reference the files but not copy/synchronize theme. So if I put all my music files on the NAS device I do not have my music with me on my laptop, but only at home?! I was hoping that slim server does create a copy on the NAS device so I can always have my music with me when I travel. I could of course just copy the files over, but hey after a few weeks this will be a mess without sync?!

Please help. What is the solution how do you guys adress this problem. I am sure I am not the only one out there with this trouble :-)

Thank you for any hint,

Merlin

Siduhe
2006-06-16, 12:45
Hi Merlin and welcome,

No, you're not the first person to ask this query. There is an entry in the wiki here (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToServers) about Network Attached Storage, or NAS boxes (your option 2). Not all NAS will work with Slimserver, you need to have a box which can also run the Slimserver software independently.

Also, search these forums for the following:

Linkstation
Qnap
Slug
Infrant
NSLU2

If you have specific questions on one of these options, do post back.

HTH

mherger
2006-06-16, 13:04
> Linkstation
> Qnap
> Slug
> Infrant
> NSLU2

Diskstation

Search for flipflip's easy installation package for the Synology
Diskstations.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

aubuti
2006-06-16, 13:30
With both solutions there comes another huge problem. As far as I understand, slimserver does only reference the files but not copy/synchronize theme. So if I put all my music files on the NAS device I do not have my music with me on my laptop, but only at home?! I was hoping that slim server does create a copy on the NAS device so I can always have my music with me when I travel. I could of course just copy the files over, but hey after a few weeks this will be a mess without sync?!
In the end, they're just files, and you can manage/sync/copy/etc. them the same way you work with any files on your operating system. There are numerous tools for handling synchronization, and that task should be simple because changes will probably only be happening on your laptop, because slimserver won't be writing to them on the NAS. Many users find rsync to be a good tool, but there are many others available, depending on your OS.