PDA

View Full Version : Worth upgrading?

Pascal Herczog
2006-06-15, 01:38
I'm currently on Slimserver 5.4.1 with my Slimp3 and SB1g, on Win Xp Pro/733MHz P3. I have 2 user accounts and an admin account, and normally the server is run manually from 1 of the user accounts and we just use the remote controls. The content of the library changes on a weekly basis, and am just starting to listen to some internet radio (well, 1 station so far!). The PC is never turned off.

Been thinking for a while that I'm way behind on Slimserver releases, but it all currently works beautifully (or rather, I'm used to it) so obviously a strong reason not to change. However, are there good enough reasons to change to e.g. 6.2.2 ?

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers,
Pascal.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-06-15, 08:00
I used 5.4.1 for more than a year and had very good results with it. It was stable and fast.

I upgraded to 6.2.x a while ago, mainly for the new features like "Browse By Year", podcasts, etc. It seems to run slower than 5.4.1, but I do like and use the new features.

If you're happy with 5.4.1 and the new features don't excite you, I'd stick with it. IMO 5.4.1 was the most problem-free release ever.

Staying a year or more behind the bleeding edge is the best way to avoid problems with Slimserver.

Simon Still
2006-06-15, 15:00
On 6/15/06, Pascal Herczog <pascal.herczog (AT) ttpcom (DOT) com> wrote:
>
>
> Been thinking for a while that I'm way behind on Slimserver releases, but
> it all currently works beautifully (or rather, I'm used to it) so obviously
> a strong reason not to change. However, are there good enough reasons to
> change to e.g. 6.2.2 ?
>

I'm finding the current release very stable - more than the 5.'s