PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Audio Network

ACovelli
2006-06-15, 00:47
Hi

I am currently investigating different mechanisms for streaming audio to hundreds of locations simultaenously.

Now I have a SB at home and subsequently purchased 2 more for concept testing and design. Now I have a couple of questions I would like to ask the community how best to achieve:

The audio will be an MMS stream that I need to redistribute.

a) Can I force the SB to get the stream directly from SS without having to have MMS running on the same physical box? My reason for asking is that when I send a link to the SB it then makes a direct connection to the MMS source. What I would like to do is somehow reencode the stream via slimserver. Naybe all I need to do is play around with filetypes?

b) Configure the SB that on powerup it starts playing this one stream and nothing else. Maybe I need a plugin or modify the registrationplayer plugin to send my only playlist file when a new player connects?

Best regards

Antonio

ps. Hi Paul@Progressive :)

azinck3
2006-06-15, 15:22
Hi

I am currently investigating different mechanisms for streaming audio to hundreds of locations simultaenously.

Now I have a SB at home and subsequently purchased 2 more for concept testing and design. Now I have a couple of questions I would like to ask the community how best to achieve:

The audio will be an MMS stream that I need to redistribute.

a) Can I force the SB to get the stream directly from SS without having to have MMS running on the same physical box? My reason for asking is that when I send a link to the SB it then makes a direct connection to the MMS source. What I would like to do is somehow reencode the stream via slimserver. Naybe all I need to do is play around with filetypes?

b) Configure the SB that on powerup it starts playing this one stream and nothing else. Maybe I need a plugin or modify the registrationplayer plugin to send my only playlist file when a new player connects?

Best regards

Antonio

ps. Hi Paul@Progressive :)

I'm a little confused as to the details of what you're trying to do (particularly why you want to route the mms stream through slimserver), and you may well be able to hack it, but I don't think the squeezebox is well-suited to the task. Have you looked into the Barix line of products (exstreamer and instreamer)?

funkstar
2006-06-16, 01:22
If you assume the MMS stream is just like any other Internet radio stream, then all Slimserver needs to do is control the SBs and tell them to get the stream directly. the SS will be doing very little and should handle quite number of clients simultaneously. SlimServer doesn't have to live on the same box as the software creating the MMS stream. Both these servers would need to be available over your network or the internet though.

ACovelli
2006-06-19, 01:25
I'm a little confused as to the details of what you're trying to do (particularly why you want to route the mms stream through slimserver), and you may well be able to hack it, but I don't think the squeezebox is well-suited to the task. Have you looked into the Barix line of products (exstreamer and instreamer)?

I want to route the MMS stream away from the real source as where that is located has bandwidth I do not want to eat into.

What I was hoping to get away from was having 2 applications on the same server. I could stream the real MMS source to the slimserver hardware and restream it using some other application but I was wondering if I could get slimserver to do it all for me.

Not seen the Barix line of products.... Will go look, thanks.

funkstar
2006-06-19, 02:02
i'm pretty sure that if you feed the radio stream through Slimserver it will only use one connection and then stream it out to seperate devices. Kind of like multicast, but not.