PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer 6.3 no longer groups compilation albums

brookheather
2006-06-14, 11:39
I've just upgraded from 6.2.2 to 6.3 and there seems to be a new bug - when you rescan the music folder it no longer groups compilation albums together - instead when you look at the album list you see the same album title repeated 15 times if there are 15 tracks on it. Is there a setting to revert to previous (correct) behaviour?

- Simon.

Siduhe
2006-06-14, 11:44
This appears to be caused by the slightly different way that 6.3.0 deals with album tags. Possibly to do with the removal of common album titles.

To resolve: open the affected album in a tagger, select all songs force the album title and reset the compiliation tag.

Bit of a pain (I had to do it on upwards of 50 albums), but you only need to do it once and it will work fine going forwards.

JJZolx
2006-06-14, 12:29
This appears to be caused by the slightly different way that 6.3.0 deals with album tags. Possibly to do with the removal of common album titles.

To resolve: open the affected album in a tagger, select all songs force the album title and reset the compiliation tag.

Bit of a pain (I had to do it on upwards of 50 albums), but you only need to do it once and it will work fine going forwards.
Are you saying that 6.3.0 has no way of recognizing compilations without an explicit COMPILATION tag? That's going to cause a ton of grief if true.

brookheather
2006-06-14, 13:14
Can someone from Slim Devices please review this and at least provide an option to keep it compatible with 6.2.2 behaviour!

Ben Sandee
2006-06-14, 13:19
On 6/14/06, JJZolx <JJZolx.29epvz1150313401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Siduhe Wrote:
> > This appears to be caused by the slightly different way that 6.3.0 deals
> > with album tags. Possibly to do with the removal of common album
> > titles.
> >
> > To resolve: open the affected album in a tagger, select all songs
> > force the album title and reset the compiliation tag.
> >
> > Bit of a pain (I had to do it on upwards of 50 albums), but you only
> > need to do it once and it will work fine going forwards.
> Are you saying that 6.3.0 has no way of recognizing compilations
> without an explicit COMPILATION tag? That's going to cause a ton of
> grief if true.

That is not the case at all -- all of my compilations are properly
recognized and I've never touched a compilation tag.

Ben

Siduhe
2006-06-14, 13:51
Are you saying that 6.3.0 has no way of recognizing compilations without an explicit COMPILATION tag? That's going to cause a ton of grief if true.

Nope, just if you use a COMPILATION tag that you will need to reset it (or at least that was my experience). If you don't have it, don't need to do anything other than force the album title (again, only my experience with an XP setup).

JJZolx
2006-06-14, 14:00
Nope, just if you use a COMPILATION tag that you will need to reset it (or at least that was my experience). If you don't have it, don't need to do anything other than force the album title (again, only my experience with an XP setup).
What do you mean when you say "reset" the COMPILATION tag, and what is "forcing" the album title?

Ben Sandee
2006-06-14, 14:26
On 6/14/06, Siduhe <Siduhe.29ettn1150318501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> JJZolx Wrote:
> > Are you saying that 6.3.0 has no way of recognizing compilations without
> > an explicit COMPILATION tag? That's going to cause a ton of grief if
> > true.
>
> Nope, just if you use a COMPILATION tag that you will need to reset it
> (or at least that was my experience). If you don't have it, don't need
> to do anything other than force the album title (again, only my
> experience with an XP setup).

I don't think forcing the album title is a requirement either, I haven't
done that for any of my va albums.

Ben

Siduhe
2006-06-14, 15:12
Sorry if my post wasn't clear: let me explain - my post was only intended to be in response to the question:

What do I do if I upgrade to 6.3.0. and I see multiple copies of the same album with just one song in but I haven't made any changes to the database ?

My solution was simply to open each affected album in a tagger, and resave or "force" the album tag. Where I had the compilation tag set, I needed to resave that too. Then I rescanned and all was fine and has been since. I suggested this in a thread a couple of weeks ago to someone else who had the same problem, and it also sorted it out for them. It didn't affect all my albums, just a few, and only compilations.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=24121

For the avoidance of doubt - I haven't suggested anywhere in this thread that this is a requirement of upgrading to 6.3.0. but I rescanned several times including the database, and this was the only way I could get the multiple albums to go away.

If someone has a better idea how to solve the problem of the original poster, please do feel free to jump in. I will just go back to minding my own business.

Dave Bird
2006-06-15, 05:33
I have recently hit the same problem, und used the same fix
COMPILATION = 1 and ALBUM ARTIST = Various Artists

However .. I could not get this to work with WMA compilations, and after mucho hair pulling and cursing converted them all to FLAC .. all was ok then.

As a side point, I found that when I group all compilations together then tracks with no album do not appear in the artist listing.

Dave

Philip Meyer
2006-06-15, 17:39
>I have recently hit the same problem, und used the same fix
>COMPILATION = 1 and ALBUM ARTIST = Various Artists
>
You shouldn't need to ever set ALBUMARTIST="Various Artists".

If you have different ARTIST tag values for different tracks on the same album title (in the same folder only, I think - that's the recent change), slimserver will automatically consider it a COMPILATION, and will list it as a various artist album (using the configurable name, the default being "Various Artists").

You can override this by setting ALBUMARTIST to something else.

Also, you can override slimservers automatic detection of a compilation album by setting COMPILATION to 0 or 1.

Eg. if you have an album that is incorrectly guessed as a compilation/various artists album (such as an album where one track is by a guest appearance), you can set the tags of all tracks to COMPILATION=0 and ALBUMARTIST=<main contributing artist name>.

I predominantly use FLAC and mp3 - I don't think I've tried any various artists albums in other formats or cue sheets, etc. That may be different...

I believe what I have written above to be correct, but I can't test that at the moment, as I am on 6.5b1 split-scanner beta beta release, and it doesn't work at all at the moment ;) If someone could verify it, could we get it written into the wiki and/or a help page in slimserver, as it crops up a lot!

Phil

ceejay
2006-06-15, 23:25
First, there is a wiki page on this topic but there has been some discussion on whether it needs updating. Since the designed behaviour for 6.3 is, I believe, changed then it probably does. It is at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?VariousArtistsLogic

Second, there are other threads on this topic, for example

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=24514

and

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23295

Note in the second thread a discussion on a change to Common Album Titles (feature is being removed) has a side effect for VA albums in some cases. It was done to fix http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2976

HTH

Ceejay

Jochen
2006-06-16, 01:48
I can confirm that slimserver 6.3 handles my compilations in a strange way, generating multiple album entries for each artist. Adding the COMPILATION tag to the affected albums solved this just fine (after a rescan).

Jeff52
2006-06-16, 04:13
I can confirm that slimserver 6.3 handles my compilations in a strange way, generating multiple album entries for each artist. Adding the COMPILATION tag to the affected albums solved this just fine (after a rescan).

If this is the case in the final version, then 6.3 is not for me.

Siduhe
2006-06-16, 04:25
Jeff, not to worry - it doesn't.

I don't know how else to explain myself here but I'm obviously not doing a good enough job - this is not a specific designed behaviour with 6.3.0 - It is a problem that only seems to affect some compilation albums (in my case about 50 out of over 800). If you look at the other thread I attached to in my earlier post, someone suggested that it only happens where the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags aren't exactly identical, and this seems quite a plausible explanation, as resaving the tags sorts the problem out instantly.

As others have noted, you don't need the Compilation tag to make Slimserver recognise it as a compilation album - but if you do use it (as I do, for reasons entirely unconnected with Slimserver) you may also need to reset this on the affected albums.

parkmad
2006-06-16, 08:21
I am also seeing this issue. I have been using 6.2 and I do not have multiple entries for albums that have multiple artists. Because I noticed the URL availability issues with Shoutcast, I tried 6.3 and that fixed that issue, but then albums with mutiple artists showed as individual album entries. When I reverted to 6.2, voila, no issue. The removal of the common album feature appears to be the cause. If I toggle that on and off, the albums will change from a single to mutiple entries for albums.

I have spent days making sure my ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags are correct including the albumartist field. I hope I don't have to make additional corrections.

I will take a look tonight to see if changes to the compilation field fixes it.

JJZolx
2006-06-16, 08:38
Has anyone filed or reopened a bug report on this? It would be good to avoid releasing 6.3 with this bug.

How are you guys organizing your files - one album per folder, or do you have some cases where tracks from different albums reside in the same folder?

DJMUK
2006-06-16, 09:36
In case it is of use to users or the developers I can confirm that I am having NO problems with compilation albums on latest 6.3 nightly on WinXP Pro.

1. All files are FLAC.
2. No Compilation tag set.
3. One album per folder in /FLAC/Artist/Album/tracks format (The compilation albums are stored as /FLAC/Assorted/Album/tracks).
4. The compilation albums have the track artist as 'Artist' and no 'AlbumArtist' tag is used. For each track the 'ArtistSort' tag is used.

In Browse Artists only artists with full albums are shown and Browse Albums shows one entry for each compilation album.

I hope this is of help.

David

Siduhe
2006-06-16, 09:49
Has anyone filed or reopened a bug report on this? It would be good to avoid releasing 6.3 with this bug.

How are you guys organizing your files - one album per folder, or do you have some cases where tracks from different albums reside in the same folder?

One album per folder here.

As the issue only affected a small number of my compilation albums (50 out of about 500 mp3 albums) , I assumed that it was a tagging issue, not a slimserver issue, hence didn't raise a bug. The fact that it only seems to affect mp3 files also suggests that it's a tagging thing - my FLAC files were entirely unaffected.

I will have a play around tonight with my backup library (which was done pre-upgrade to 6.3.0.) to see if I can identify the combination of factors which would cause this.

Do I have the following right ?

It only happens on albums with multiple artists;
It only happens with mp3s;
It only happens where both ID3v1 and ID3v2 are present.

I will also try a test album to see if having ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 makes any difference.

Jochen
2006-06-16, 12:15
Do I have the following right ?

It only happens on albums with multiple artists;
It only happens with mp3s;
It only happens where both ID3v1 and ID3v2 are present.

I will also try a test album to see if having ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 makes any difference.

I have my MP3s tagged with ID3v1 and APEv2 (no ID3v2 here), and encountered the same problem.

parkmad
2006-06-16, 12:48
It is happeing with me with FLAC files.

My folder structure is:

/FLAC/Artist/Album/tracks

One album per folder and compilation albums are stored in the same way, meaning a different folder is created for different artists for the same album.

ceejay
2006-06-16, 14:58
parkmad -

see the thread I linked to earlier ... I think slimserver will be happier if you have one folder = one album (ie not as you have it).

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23295

Ceejay

parkmad
2006-06-18, 11:48
Thanks Ceejay, I guess I will have to do that.

This rant is not directed at you, but at Slim Devices. Why should I have to spend the next couple hours redoing my folder structure to correct something that used to work? Using 6.2.2, I don't have the Internet radio functionality I used to have, so I have to use upgrade to 6.3 to regain that use, but then I have to comb my 5000 tracks and create album folders for all my compilations and soundtracks.

Maybe this sounds like whining, but I have many other things I would prefer to do today.

To make my statments balanced and fair, I love my squeezebox. I have recommended it to all my friends and convinced some of them to buy one.

dip
2006-06-18, 14:59
I have for each album a separate folder. But with the present version of 6.3.0 Slimserver detects not a single compilation album. I have to set for all songs of compilation albums the COMPILATION flag to 1 otherwise I have over thousand artists instead of about 250. I use the latest nightly of 6.3.0 on Suse Linux 10.0. At the moment I have for all compilation albums the COMPILATION flag manually set to 1 and the ALBUMARTIST tag set to "Diverse" (German for Various). With these manual settings everything works fine but in previous versions slimserver detected all compilation albums automatically.

I have mainly flac, ogg and mp3 files (and about 3 wma).

Ben Sandee
2006-06-18, 16:04
On 6/18/06, parkmad <parkmad.29m2pb1150656603 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:

> This rant is not directed at you, but at Slim Devices. Why should I
> have to spend the next couple hours redoing my folder structure to
> correct something that used to work?

You ABSOLUTELY do not have to do this. You can continue to use 6.2.2 as you
always have.

Maybe this sounds like whining, but I have many other things I would
> prefer to do today.

You're right it does sound like that.

Ben

ModelCitizen
2006-06-27, 00:02
Am I right in thinking that this issue has not been raised as a SlimServer bug? If so, it seems to me that it probably should be, just to ensure that 6.3 does not go out with this problem still included.

All my files are flac, all tagged using MP3Tag.
Each disk is held in a separate directory, i.e.

Music Folder/Artist - Album [Label,Year]/disc 1

I only populate the title, artist, album, tracknumber, genre, year and comments fields. These are the tags supported by default by MP3Tag. I have never populated compilation, band or any of the more esoteric ones. The artist tag holds the name of the artist for that song. I do not tag the artist field of compilation albums as "various artists" (and rather fail to see why anyone would want to do this).

6.3 seems to randomly give me multiple listings of compilation albums eg:

Acoustic Songbook (disk 1) (2004) by Norah Jones
Acoustic Songbook (disk 1) (2004) by Various Artists
Acoustic Songbook (disk 2) (2004) by John Lennon
Acoustic Songbook (disk 2) (2004) by Bobby Womack
Acoustic Songbook (disk 2) (2004) by Various Artists
Acoustic Songbook (disk 3) (2004) by Ralf McTell

I can retag all three disks in MP3Tag but this is just as likely to have the effect of changing the incorrect way the multiple entries are listed rather than curing the listing. What is more frustrating is that when I have cured an album listing by refreshing the tag info the next 6.3 nightly will list them completely differently and incorrectly again (this with database deleted).

If anyone could point me towards an open bug for this matter I'd be grateful. If there is not an open bug is the concensus still that this problem is not a bug?

Cheers
MC

ModelCitizen
2006-06-28, 08:43
All my files are flac, all tagged using MP3Tag.
Each disk is held in a separate directory, i.e.

Music Folder/Artist - Album [Label Year]/disc 1

I only populate the title, artist, album, tracknumber, genre, year and comments fields. These are the tags supported by default by MP3Tag. I have never populated compilation, band or any of the more esoteric ones. The artist tag holds the name of the artist for that song. I do not tag the artist field of compilation albums as "various artists" (and rather fail to see why anyone would want to do this).

6.3 seems to randomly give me multiple listings of compilation albums eg:

Acoustic Songbook (disk 1) (2004) by Norah Jones
Acoustic Songbook (disk 1) (2004) by Various Artists
Acoustic Songbook (disk 2) (2004) by John Lennon
Acoustic Songbook (disk 2) (2004) by Bobby Womack
Acoustic Songbook (disk 2) (2004) by Various Artists
Acoustic Songbook (disk 3) (2004) by Ralf McTell

I can retag all three disks in MP3Tag but this is just as likely to have the effect of changing the incorrect way the multiple entries are listed rather than curing the listing. What is more frustrating is that when I have cured an album listing by refreshing the tag info the next 6.3 nightly will list them completely differently and incorrectly again (this with database deleted).
MC

Seems there is a lot of stuff going on about this, however all theories put forward so far do not seem to account for what is happening to me.... mainly as I keep each disk (and each album) in a distinct folder and my problem is not cured by opening the files in MP3Tag and resaving the files.
Anyway. I'm giving up now and setting the Compilation = 1 tag, deleting the database and rescanning. If that doesn't work it's back to 6.2.2.

MC

dip
2006-06-28, 08:52
Did you check in mp3tag only the standard tags shown on the left pane in the predefined input fields or did you also check the "hidden" tags which you can see if you choose a song with the right mouse and choose the "tags" item from the context menu?

I had the problem that for some of my songs the ALBUMARTIST tag was set which is not shown in the left pane. And if ALBUMARTIST is set than slimserver does not use the automatic compilation detection (as far as I know). After I have deleted the ALBUMARTIST tag and made a wipe and rescan all my compilation albums were correctly detected.

ModelCitizen
2006-06-28, 09:08
Thanks very much for the suggestion dip. I have indeed checked the extended tags and what I state above is definitely correct for all my Various Artist albums (at least) - the only tags used are tracknumber, artist, title, album, genre, year, comment.
Any other suggestions very welcome, especially as Foobar2000 seems to have just barfed in the midst of adding the Compilation tag to 100 or so albums...oh dear.....
MC

dip
2006-06-28, 09:18
I use a mixture of ogg and flac files and the same tags as you except comment. I also have for each album a separate directory. A further suggestion is that sometimes I had strange results (like double entries) although I made a wipe and rescan. After manually deleting the cache file everything was fine again. In Windows it is the file C:\program files\SlimServer\server\Cache\slimserversql.db and in Linux it is the file .slimserversql.db (don't miss the . at the beginning) in /usr/local/slimserver

Does that help?

ModelCitizen
2006-06-28, 09:37
I am grateful for your help but I'm afraid it doesn't help. What you call the cache I call the database and as I state quite unclearly above, I delete it each time I attempt a rescan to cure the problem.
Any more suggestions very welcome.

BTW. There is a difference in the way you and I hold our files I think as I put each disk of any compilation album that includes more than one disk in a directory named disk 1, disk 2, disk 3 etc.

e.g: Music Folder/Artist - Album [Label Year]/disc 1
Don't ask me why. :-)

Upon relection it is possible that it is only compilation albums that include more than one disk that have the problems (I'm not certain).

Just to add to available info in case anyone is trying to cure this. I name my albums to include the disk number. i.e. The Disco Years (disk 1), The Disco Years (disk 1) etc.
I know this is stupid (but it's a system invented a long time ago) and at some point when I have a lot of time I'll get rid of it, but at this moment it's too much work to contemplate.

There might be a clue here Sherlock (siduhe... or who is it doing the Slimserver tag reading code?).

MC

dip
2006-06-28, 09:56
I also have for each physical disk a separate directory, i.e. for an album comprising two disks I have two separate directories.

My structure is

music folder/artist/album name/tracknumber-artist - title.flac

for "normal cases" and

music folder/artist/album name - CD1/tracknumber-artist - title.flac

for the first disk of a double album.

Compilations are stored with artist name "Diverse" (= German for Various) so the files of the first disk of such a compilation album are stored in

music folder/Diverse/album name - CD1/

So it seems to me that our structures are not too different.

Did you try to completely remove (temporarily) all your playlists. I previously had also some strange effects with old playlists having entries which did no longer exist. It could be worth a trial (even if it sounds not related) since there were a plurality of issues caused by playlists.

dip
2006-06-28, 10:02
I forgot to mention one difference between our structures. In my structure the ALBUM tag is always identical to the directory name containing the files (e.g. "The Disco Years - CD1"). As far as I understood in your structure the ALBUM tag would be "The Disco Years (CD1)" but the directory structure is different.

Maybe you try to change for one album the ALBUM tag and the directory structure as described only to check if it depends on these?

MrC
2006-06-28, 14:51
I think I found another case where Group compilations is not working correctly. I noticed this with my remaining WMA files. All artists from the tracks are showing up under Browse Artists, as is the artist "Various Artists"

Album is stored in the music directory as Various Artists\Album.

Each track in the album is tagged with WMA tags (relevant ones shown):

Title: song's title
Author: track's author
WM/AlbumTitle: albums's title
WM/AlbumArtist: Various Artists

6.3 svn 8183

I have test files if useful.

dip
2006-06-28, 23:49
As far as I understand, if the ALBUMARTIST tag is set (you mentioned it is set to "Various Artists") then slimserver doesn't try to detect compilations automatically. In this case the COMPILATION tag is not automatically set and therefore the group compilations option does not apply. You have either to delete the ALBUMARTIST tag or to set the COMPILATION tag manually.

ModelCitizen
2006-06-29, 00:03
Anyway. I'm giving up now and setting the Compilation = 1 tag, deleting the database and rescanning. If that doesn't work it's back to 6.2.2.
MC
Yup, setting the compilation tag has worked. All compilation listings are back to normal now. Cheers!
MC

finnie
2006-06-29, 03:30
Yup, setting the compilation tag has worked. All compilation listings are back to normal now. Cheers!
MC

Hi there,

Does anyone know when using Tag&Rename how you set the compilation flag.

There is a tick box for "Part of a compilation" or something like that.

I assume this relates to the compilation tag ?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

Siduhe
2006-06-29, 03:58
Finnie,

That's it. Select the relevant tracks, click "part of compilation" so that it shows a clear tick (rather than a greyed out one or a blank box). Then do a full clear and rescan in slimserver (a search for new music won't do it).

Ledwidge
2006-06-29, 04:34
I found that 6.3 not only created multiple albums but repeated tracks for no reason. On various CDs I now have double tracks i.e. 1,1, 2,2 etc etc.
They are all in seperate directories, all in flac and many are not compilations.
Even when I remove 6.3 the fault remains. How can I FULLY remove 6.3. I tried regedit, searched for everything on the hard-drive but still something remains which is now effecting 6.2.2. when I go back to it.
I NEVER had these problems with 6.2.2 before installing the latest download.

ModelCitizen
2006-06-29, 05:35
I found that 6.3 not only created multiple albums but repeated tracks for no reason. On various CDs I now have double tracks i.e. 1,1, 2,2 etc etc.
They are all in seperate directories, all in flac and many are not compilations.
Even when I remove 6.3 the fault remains. How can I FULLY remove 6.3. I tried regedit, searched for everything on the hard-drive but still something remains which is now effecting 6.2.2. when I go back to it.
I NEVER had these problems with 6.2.2 before installing the latest download.
If you uninstall SlimServer and then delete the remaining Program Files and then reinstall 6.2.2 there should be no problem. It might be worth regetting the firmware incase it's changed by holding down the brightness button afterwards... but this shouldn't be necessary I think.
MC

Ledwidge
2006-06-29, 05:59
I removed 6.3, removed the slimsever directory, removed any remaining regedit entries. But still there are multiple entries in both titles and tracks when I reinstall 6.2.2 or even 6.2.1 !
6.3 left something somwhere, any ideas ???

kdf
2006-06-29, 08:28
On 29-Jun-06, at 5:59 AM, Ledwidge wrote:

>
> I removed 6.3, removed the slimsever directory, removed any remaining
> regedit entries. But still there are multiple entries in both titles
> and tracks when I reinstall 6.2.2 or even 6.2.1 !
> 6.3 left something somwhere, any ideas ???
>
slimserversql.db perhaps.

just to chime in...I have not seen this problem with 6.3.0. If any of
the hundreds who installed nightly builds during pre-release saw it,
they chose to remain silent.
I'm sure that if anyone willing/able to fix it can reproduce it with a
specific case, it will get fixed asap.
-k

MrC
2006-06-29, 08:55
As far as I understand, if the ALBUMARTIST tag is set (you mentioned it is set to "Various Artists") then slimserver doesn't try to detect compilations automatically. In this case the COMPILATION tag is not automatically set and therefore the group compilations option does not apply. You have either to delete the ALBUMARTIST tag or to set the COMPILATION tag manually.

This isn't quite how its working. For my FLAC files that have "ALBUM ARTIST" set to "Various Artists", the individual artists do not appear when GCAT is set. When GCAT is unset, individual artists appear. This works fine.

For the WMA files, WMP sets WM/AlbumArtist to "Various Artists", but unlike FLAC files, all artists show up regardless of the GCAT setting, AND the "Various Arists" artist appears as well.

I have no COMPILATION tags anywhere.

The behaviour of FLAC and WMA files should be consistent when tagged typically and properly. Since WMP sets WM/AlbumArtist, (which SlimServer internally maps to ALBUMARTIST), the logical that hides artists for WMA should be the same as that used for FLAC.

ModelCitizen
2006-06-29, 10:06
just to chime in...I have not seen this problem with 6.3.0. If any of the hundreds who installed nightly builds during pre-release saw it, they chose to remain silent.
I'm sure that if anyone willing/able to fix it can reproduce it with a specific case, it will get fixed asap.
-k
Hundreds? Not thousands then? :-). Actually I had this problem once with 6.3, multiple albums and multiple tracks, but I thought my problem was due the fact I had been installing the modified perl files issued as the result of a fix singly into my SlimServer installation, so did not do more than mention it in a thread.
Anyway, it went away as soon as I reinstalled a 6.3 nightly.
The thing with Ledwidge's problem is that he can't get rid of it which is very wierd as, afaik if he uninstalled and deleted the SlimServer directory in Program Files there is no way that there could be any information left over for his next installation of SlimServer to pick up. As SlimServer does not write tags it cannot be that his tags have changed so I'm completely stumped.

MC

kdf
2006-06-29, 10:44
Quoting ModelCitizen
<ModelCitizen.2a6ben1151601001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> kdf Wrote:
>> just to chime in...I have not seen this problem with 6.3.0. If any of
>> the hundreds who installed nightly builds during pre-release saw it,
>> they chose to remain silent.
>> I'm sure that if anyone willing/able to fix it can reproduce it with a
>> specific case, it will get fixed asap.
>> -k
> Hundreds? Not thousands then? :-).

might have been. I'm an outsider as much as anyone when it comes to that.
how about millions?

> As SlimServer does not write tags it cannot be that his tags have
> changed so I'm completely stumped.

me too. I hate saying "well, it works for me". well, ok, glad that I
CAN say that, but it means I can't offer much help. Although, with
some of the mudsligning, I'm not sure I'd feel motivated either to be
honest. Having the problem not go away is bizarre. Hopefully it is
just the lingering slimserversql.db. However, it is possible in a
great number of ways to have this kind of problem. As things
progress, and being completely open, there are always nudges from
users along the way with special interests. Tweak something to handle
that, and another case gets mixed up. Now, this may not always be a
user thing. If playlists, for example, are created one way then
things change, a rescan might not like it. Taking into account my
huge sample group of 1 (me), that could be one explanation as the
nature of the poking around that I do tends to result in destruction
of playlists regularly. I'm also updating daily, running multiple
copies of the server, rather than going through any upgrade/downgrade
stuff.

Also of note: I almost never just "listen to music" any more. Free
time ends up with me looking over some bug report or another, even if
only absent mindedly. Thus, even playlists that I do create aren't
normal. Of course, it means I also don't have a clean library (lots of
deliberate buggy files) so I don't notice a handful of dupes mixed in
among deliberate duplicates of albums in different formats, etc.

Anyway, this issue is now in as bug3658, so it's being tracked.
-k

ModelCitizen
2006-06-29, 12:03
kdf, get your self a glass of wine or a beer or whatever stimulant dings your bell.... and listen to some music!
MC

kdf
2006-06-29, 23:11
On 29-Jun-06, at 12:03 PM, ModelCitizen wrote:

>
> kdf, get your self a glass of wine or a beer or whatever stimulant
> dings
> your bell.... and listen to some music!
>
but if I did that, my last.fm profile wouldn't be HALF as funny
-kdf

Philip Meyer
2006-06-30, 14:46
>Seems there is a lot of stuff going on about this, however all theories
>put forward so far do not seem to account for what is happening to
>me.... mainly as I keep each disk (and each album) in a distinct folder
>and my problem is not cured by opening the files in MP3Tag and resaving
>the files.

In Mp3Tag, there's options to tell the software what version of ID3 tags to read/write. It could be that you are seeing correct tags, but some other version tags are not being cleared in your case by simply opening and closing.

You could try looking in another tagging app, or try changing the options to read both v1 and v2 tags, but write only ID3v2, and remove ID3v1 tags.

kpartlow
2006-07-05, 12:15
You guys speak of retagging all the files to eliminate multiple albums caused by "various artist" cds, but I store my files as .wav files. I also store my files in the format:

Music/[Artist]/[Album] [Year]/[Title].wav

Thus, when version 6.3 scans my music, instead of having 485 albums I have 965 albums. A good portion of those are the same album. Any ideas an option to disable this functionality? Or do I have to go back to 6.2?

Thanks in Advance

ModelCitizen
2006-07-05, 12:30
In Mp3Tag, there's options to tell the software what version of ID3 tags to read/write. It could be that you are seeing correct tags, but some other version tags are not being cleared in your case by simply opening and closing.
You could try looking in another tagging app, or try changing the options to read both v1 and v2 tags, but write only ID3v2, and remove ID3v1 tags.

I already checked for duplicated tags, but there were none. I am using Flac files by the way, not MP3s.
Anyway, all is well now I have added the Compilation (value = 1) tag.
MC

bonze
2006-07-06, 05:57
OK- I've read through this thread and a few others and now I'm not sure whether I have the 'problem' or not.

I have ripped a compilation CD to .flac and placed it into folder /ext/mnt/music/Various Artists/album.
Each of the 15 tracks on the CD has a different artist.

Browsing with slimserver, by album, then clicking on the album name I get all 15 tracks listed as I expected each showing a different artist.
Clicking on a track title for details shows that slimserver recognises the album as a compilation.

Browsing by artist, the list includes each one of the 15 artists from the compilation. They have one album entry, each with one track.

What should I expect to see in the artist list?

bonze
2006-07-06, 11:59
OK- I've read through this thread and a few others and now I'm not sure whether I have the 'problem' or not.
Bad form to reply to one's own post, but I've just found the setting I required.....
Server Settings>Behaviour>Compilations>'Group Compilations Together'

Hadn't spotted that one before. :-)

The album now appears under 'Various Artists'.