PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer won't start

FilmFreak71
2006-06-13, 23:06
Hi there,

I've had my Squeezebox 3 for a couple of weeks now and it has been running fine without any prolems. Last night my PC rebooted itself after an update, and since then Slim Server just won't start, the icon appears in the system tray with the display flashing but it never gets any further.
I also installed Mcafee Anti-Virus software yesterday, but it was workking fine with this installed.

Anyone got any ideas as to why it suddenly won't start?

Many thanks,

deserttaxguy
2006-06-14, 09:12
I dont know why yet, it was working fine, and I made no changes.
I dont play the slim server every day so I dont know what happened.
I have my device working wirelessly, and all the ports set up in the Trend Micro virus blocker.
It works connecting to the Squeezenetwork, but cant access my server for the stored music.
I went step by step through the setup again and no better results?
How I get this going again?

Update: 1 hour later-
I brought my wireless slimplayer into the room with my computer network, and hooked up with a wire. I worked back through the set up (I have no encryption or wap set) and got it working with a wire. Then instead of using auto ip assignment, I changed it to the same ip address i got when I used the cable. The slimplayer was using an automatic ip that conflicted with another one of my devices I think. But now its working.
So, if you are using the wireless mode- try to get it working with a wire. That helped me. Now its working and I can go back to earning a living, instead of scewing with my toys!!

Siduhe
2006-06-14, 10:47
Hi there,

I've had my Squeezebox 3 for a couple of weeks now and it has been running fine without any prolems. Last night my PC rebooted itself after an update, and since then Slim Server just won't start, the icon appears in the system tray with the display flashing but it never gets any further.
I also installed Mcafee Anti-Virus software yesterday, but it was workking fine with this installed.

Anyone got any ideas as to why it suddenly won't start?

Many thanks,

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Slimserver - I had a similar problem after the lastest Windows updates last night. A fresh install solved the problem.

mshievitz
2006-09-06, 13:09
The latest iteration of Mcafee Privacy Service prevents SoftSqueeze from running correctly. (The underlying culprit is McAfee's Proxy service)
Follow the steps below To correct this condition and resume your enjoyment of streamed softsqueeze music.

You can perform the following steps to stop McAfee Proxy Service.

1. Click on the Start > Run.
2. Type in SERVICES.MSC and click the OK button.
3. Locate 'McAfee Proxy Service' in the list.
4. Right-click 'McAfee Proxy Service' and choose Stop.

Now, you can try to access SoftSqueeze and see if you are able to access the music.
If you are able to access the music then you can start the McAfee Proxy Service service. (if required, it will probably restart after softsqueeze connects)

1. Click on the Start > Run.
2. Type in SERVICES.MSC and click the OK button.
3. Locate 'McAfee Proxy Service' in the list.
4. Right-click 'McAfee Proxy Service' and choose Start.

I hope this helps everyone. Enjoy.

Ross L
2006-09-06, 13:12
If you're still having trouble please call/email our support, we'd be glad to walk you through this.

I suspect that SlimServer just isn't installed as a service, you could try these commands from command prompt:

Please type this in the command prompt, include the quotation marks:

"C:\program files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe" -remove
then hit enter, then type this:

"C:\program files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe" -install

Then reboot, does SlimServer start now? If not click start, run, type services.msc and scroll down to the SlimServer service, and see if you can start it there.