PDA

View Full Version : Rescan crashing PC

Khuli
2006-06-12, 13:07
In the last few weeks, the automatic rescan seems to have been crashing my PC. I've changed the rescan time so I'm here to see it, and it crashes maybe 1 min into the rescan.

Running Win2k, and SlimServer 6.5 - no new software recently, and been running perfectly for several months.

Any ideas what's causing it or where I might look to get more info?

Thanks.

gutted
2006-06-13, 02:05
What are the symptoms of the crash? Does the PC reboot, or lock up, or blue screen? etc?

On my system (see sig) the CPU usage more or less hits 100% during a rescan; CPU hovers around 95% for pretty much the entire scan. I guess it might creep a bit higher if I had a larger music collection.

Have you recently added any music to increase the library size?

Khuli
2006-06-13, 08:20
What are the symptoms of the crash? Does the PC reboot, or lock up, or blue screen? etc?

Have you recently added any music to increase the library size?

You can hear the PC go 'Ping' and it totally shuts off.
Not a normal shut-off either.. one light is left on on the keyboard (pressing keys doesn't change anything) and just pressing the on button doesn't work. You have to hold in it for 10 secs or so and then press it again to startup.

Almost like it's going into hibernation and dying... (hibernation is set to off btw)

I've recently defragged the HD, and it's about 90% full, but that's still about 7gb spare. I've added about 20 CD's lately, but most of those were after the problem started. To be fair, I don't know whether it's the rescan causing the shutdown, or whether it's a hardware issue and any software might cause it (just about no other s/w installed).

radish
2006-06-13, 08:35
Could it be overheating? As mentioned, a scan will typically push the CPU pretty hard so warmth may be a factor.

snarlydwarf
2006-06-13, 08:54
I had a PC that would randomly die during "busy" times -- ripping too much, too much analysis with Picard, or whatever. It would do a hard crash: no warning, needed a power cycle to restart.

I went into the BIOS, hit "set defaults" and it hasn't crashed since. God knows what the local dealer did to "adjust" the machine to be faster, but I'll take stable over fast any day.

(To be fair: it may have not been the local shop: it did take 2 years before it started misbehaving so much, so perhaps cosmic rays messed with the CMOS settings, but I figure the motherboard maker knows more about what timings and such are proper.)

Khuli
2006-06-13, 14:11
Overheating is a possibilty.. Sandra said the cpu was 54C when it was just idling. Not sure I believe it as it didn't feel that hot.. but could be a symtom.

Now it won't reboot (which actually isn't a new problem, just rare), but it could be time for a new PC :(

Jacob Potter
2006-06-14, 09:54
On 6/13/06, Khuli <Khuli.29d02z1150233301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> Overheating is a possibilty.. Sandra said the cpu was 54C when it was
> just idling. Not sure I believe it as it didn't feel that hot.. but
> could be a symtom.

Probably overheating, then; if it's 54 C at idle, it'll be much, much
hotter under load. Can you open it up and make sure the fans are
spinning properly and not full of dust?

- Jacob

Khuli
2006-06-15, 08:00
Probably overheating, then; if it's 54 C at idle, it'll be much, much
hotter under load. Can you open it up and make sure the fans are
spinning properly and not full of dust?

- Jacob

Took the side off - fans spinning fine, though a bit dusty. Maybe the heat transfer compound is making a lousy contact?

Temperature outside has cooled in the last few days, but still took me 2 days to boot it up! (which isn't temp related)

I was beginning to think it was doomed, so copied all my data back from it and onto my normal PC - I think I'll move SlimServer too, and wave goodbye. It's not done badly - been running almost continuously since 1.4ghz Athlons were considered state of the art!