PDA

View Full Version : Wake on LAN from Wired SB3?

twynne
2006-06-11, 01:25
I've read several threads on here regarding the Wake on LAN functionality in the SB3's, but it's not clear if the wired model works in the same way. Will a wired SB3 send the same WOL packets if it's server isn't active when the SB3 is powered on? And are there any options that need to be set to enable this??

Thanks all,

Tom

Richie
2006-06-11, 02:20
> I've read several threads on here regarding the Wake on LAN
> functionality in the SB3's, but it's not clear if the wired model works
> in the same way. Will a wired SB3 send the same WOL packets if it's
> server isn't active when the SB3 is powered on? And are there any
> options that need to be set to enable this??

I can confirm that my wired SB3 can wake my server up. You may have to
enable WOL in the BIOS of the server. I don't think there are any
settings in Slimserver. It just worked.

Richard

Munge
2006-06-12, 01:02
Also, your PC motherboard must support WOL.

Munge

oreillymj
2006-06-12, 04:06
Will a wired SB3 send the same WOL packets if it's server isn't active when the SB3 is powered on? And are there any options that need to be set to enable this??

WOL works by sending a network broadcast to a specifc MAC address on the Network telling it to wake up.

So long as your PC keeps sending power to you network card when it's in standby/hibernate mode, then your network card will get the message and decide whether it needs to Wake the PC or not.

You didn't mention how your PC and SB3 are linked, but it shouldn't make a difference. The only thing I can think of that might break this is a firewall in a router set to block network broadcasts.

twynne
2006-06-12, 11:34
Thanks all.

WOL was definitely working previously in my server (independent of the SB3), but seems to have stopped. I now can't wake the server from another PC on the network, so SB3 doesn't have a hope.

Not sure what has happened to it - I've checked the network card to ensure WOL is enabled in device manager... still no joy.

I'll keep at it.

Cheers,

Tom