PDA

View Full Version : Two albums with the same name - suggestion

Squirrel
2006-06-10, 02:22
Not sure if this is the correct area, mods - feel free to move it if it isn't!

One problem I've noticed with SlimServer (and iTunes, and Audiotron) is that if you have two albums by different artists it gets confused, and ends up interleaving tracks from the two. The so-called "greatest hits" problem.

For example, I have two albums called "So Far So Good". One by Bryan Adams (the 1993 greatest hits collection) and another by Kim Hill (title taken from one of the song names).

In a flash of inspiration, the solution just occurred to me!

If there are two tracks with the same album title *and* the same track number, treat it as two separate albums by two different artists. If there are no conflicts of track numbers, treat it as a compilation album.

Comments?

funkstar
2006-06-10, 04:45
Not so simple. A multi CD set would have the same track numbers and same album name.

You can just add "So Far So Good" to the common album name list in the behaviour settings.

cjk32
2006-06-10, 05:11
funkstar wrote:
> Not so simple. A multi CD set would have the same track numbers and
> same album name.

They'd have different disc numbers though. How about the original
algorithm, but comparing both track and disc number for duplicates? I
suspect that a more major problem is that this requires some element of post
processing. It's not always possible to decide exactly what a given track
is without knowledge of tracks that have yet to be scanned.

Chris

Dan Sully
2006-06-10, 08:53
* Christopher Key shaped the electrons to say...

>They'd have different disc numbers though. How about the original
>algorithm, but comparing both track and disc number for duplicates? I
>suspect that a more major problem is that this requires some element of post
>processing. It's not always possible to decide exactly what a given track
>is without knowledge of tracks that have yet to be scanned.

Quite correct - there are a few ways to fudge this however.

If your albums are in different directories, we should auto-detect that, and
create a new album. We also do some track number checking, but only if the
disc/discc tags are the same as the album to check against.

For 6.3 & 6.5, the "Common Albums Title" hack has been removed.

The logic for this (6.5) is in Slim/Schema.pm line 1460.

Look for the comment:

# Used for keeping track of the album name.

-D
--
( ( ( [ ] ) ) )
In Stereo Where
Available

Squirrel
2006-06-10, 10:12
funkstar: My workaround for that, for multi-disc sets... eg, I have the Bee Gees "The Record", a 2 CD greatest hits collection. Tracks ripped from CD 1 are 1 to 20, tracks from CD 2 are numbered 21 onwards in the tags. That way when you "play album" all tracks get queued up in the correct order, as if the album was on one single uber-length CD.

Of course I only use ID3v1 tags for reasons I won't go into here other than saying "legacy software". But this approach works for me. If I did want to have multi-disc sets appearing as separate albums I'd simply append "CD1" etc to the album title when ripping.

funkstar
2006-06-10, 12:00
Excellent Dan. IŠve been caught out with this recently when i added New Order's "Singles" which ended up with 14 tracks of Travis "Singles" at the start :)

Does ID3v1 support any of the multiple disk tags? if you get everything tagged like this then you can have tracks numbered according to the possition on the disk and SlimServer will display them as 1-1, 1-2, 1-3....2-1, 2-2, 2-3... etc.

stinkingpig
2006-06-10, 17:50
On 6/10/06, Squirrel <Squirrel.2974yz1149959702 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> funkstar: My workaround for that, for multi-disc sets... eg, I have the
> Bee Gees "The Record", a 2 CD greatest hits collection. Tracks ripped
> from CD 1 are 1 to 20, tracks from CD 2 are numbered 21 onwards in the
> tags. That way when you "play album" all tracks get queued up in the
> correct order, as if the album was on one single uber-length CD.

I do the same thing, I really don't care how many CDs the album was split
across, any more than I care about where the track boundaries were on an
8-track version or side A vs. side B on an LP record version.

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

snarlydwarf
2006-06-10, 18:04
In most cases, I number things "x-xx name" and place them in the same directory, where x-xx is disc-track. In other cases, that doesn't work: it depends on the piece.

For example, "Johnny Cash: Love, God and Murder." Each disc has a distinct them, they shouldn't be mixed.

In a few cases, I have kept them seperate because I like preserving the album covers and each disc had a unique cover.

Pink Floyd - The Wall, I have all in the same directory, but tagged to keep the two discs apart. They have completely different moods and I like that keeping them apart.

Andy D
2006-06-21, 06:49
One problem I've noticed with SlimServer (and iTunes, and Audiotron) is that if you have two albums by different artists it gets confused, and ends up interleaving tracks from the two. The so-called "greatest hits" problem.

For example, I have two albums called "So Far So Good". One by Bryan Adams (the 1993 greatest hits collection) and another by Kim Hill (title taken from one of the song names).

Yeh, I've found this problem with my ipod and itunes, Windows media player manages to sort it out OK, so might be worth digging into how they do it.