X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oreillymj
    • May 2005

Memory leak in Firefox on Slimserver PC

Hi,
    I've noticed recently that I cannot leave Firefox 1.5 open on my Slimserver PC with the default Slim UI open.

After a couple of hours, I return and the Firefox process is consuming 100+ Mb of Ram and 50% of the CPU.

I've done a couple of tests to confirm that it is the Slim UI which is triggerring a bug in Firefox.

I tried disabling all extensions - no affect.

Left the browser open with no loaded page - no major shift in memory/CPU consumption.

Left the browser open with 2 tabs open - again no major shift and CPU remained at <10%

I wonder if someone else could confirm this and report to the Mozilla project.

The only things I can think of is that either the META refresh, or the large number of (the same) images triggers a leak/bug.
  • Craig, James (IT)

Memory leak in Firefox on Slimserver PC

I see this as well.
    But isn't the problem that Firefox now caches page images to speed up
    operation of the 'back' button?
    As the Slim interface refreshes every 30 seconds this ramps up the
    memory usage.
    There's an option somewhere to turn this off...

James
    --------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

Comment

• oreillymj
      • May 2005

Sounds very possibly the root cause.

Still think Mozilla shouldn't cache on META refreshes.

Comment

• Robert Jorgensen

Re: Memory leak in Firefox on Slimserver PC

What about just using session restore and closing Firefox. When you start
        it up you'll have your session back.

Robert

On 6/9/06, oreillymj <
        oreillymj.294ndz1149843601 (AT) no-m...limdevices.com> wrote:
        >
        >
        > Sounds very possibly the root cause.
        >
        > Still think Mozilla shouldn't cache on META refreshes.
        >
        >
        > --
        > oreillymj
        > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
        > oreillymj's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=699
        > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=24579
        >
        >

Comment

• NWP
          • Feb 2006

Basically Firefox is plagued by memory leaks. Try bringing it up to the developers and you get a response like this:

Firefox uses memory for page caching and when we didn't do this people complained that the back button was too slow and now that we do people complain when Firefox uses 500 megs of RAM and you can't please everyone and it is only using available memory that windows isn't using anyway and it's free software so stop complaining.
          So, yeah, Mozilla Firefox used to be a revelation, a piece of software you would recommend to all of your friends. Now it is becoming a huge hunk of crap. I still use it because I just can't seem to get used to Opera. I just make sure I close all browser windows around once an hour and bring up the task manager t make sure there aren't any lingering FIREFOX.EXE processes before I start it up again.

I've been hearing decent things about the IE 7 beta, so maybe that will be the answer in 6 months or so.

Comment

Working...