PDA

View Full Version : Library Scan fails

sdf
2006-06-08, 15:14
I had a couple minor problems with the contents of my library and I decided to just pitch it and rescan from scratch. This has worked in the past just fine.

Now, I clear and scan and it tells me that it is scanning the library, but when I go to look at, say, Artists, there is nothing there. In the past, I would see a partial list and it would warn me that a scan was in progress. As far as I can tell, it is not scanning.

I shutdown and restarted the SlimServer with no luck. I changed back to the default skin (out of superstition), to no avail. I also removed any playlists from the music folder, for good luck. Finally, I did a Browse Music Folder and it seems to talk to the hard drive just fine and shows me everything out there. If I touch a particular album, it handily adds the album to the music database. While this is kind of clever, it gets tedious very quickly.

Poking around on the forums, I saw something mentioned about using Debugging, so I turned that on for Scan. The output, which is meaningless to me, is as follows:

2006-06-08 18:01:17.4174 cracked: http://localhost:9000/home.html?player=00%3A04%3A20%3A06%3A5d%3Aca with [localhost],[9000],[/home.html?player=00%3A04%3A20%3A06%3A5d%3Aca]
2006-06-08 18:01:23.2065 cracked: http://localhost:9000/setup.html?page=server&player=00%3A04%3A20%3A06%3A5d%3Aca with [localhost],[9000],[/setup.html?page=server&player=00%3A04%3A20%3A06%3A5d%3Aca]
2006-06-08 18:01:23.5185 popped to button mode: empty!
2006-06-08 18:01:23.5423 popped to button mode: empty!
2006-06-08 18:01:23.5426 pushing button mode: home
2006-06-08 18:01:23.5543 pushing button mode: INPUT.List
2006-06-08 18:01:24.0047 popped to button mode: empty!
2006-06-08 18:01:24.0166 popped to button mode: empty!
2006-06-08 18:01:24.0170 pushing button mode: home
2006-06-08 18:01:24.0428 pushing button mode: INPUT.List

FWIW, my music is located externally on a Linkstation drive on the network. The Linkstation is not (yet) running Slimserver. I am referencing the drive not by drive letter but by the Universal whatchamacallit name....for example, \\mydrive\myfolder\my music. This has worked just fine in the past, and it works for the Browse Music Folder function, so I am pretty comfortable that it is finding the drive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,
sf

tyler_durden
2006-06-08, 16:04
I think you need to turn on slimserver.exe as a service. You go to the control panel, select administrative tools, and then services. The startup type should be automatic, and logon should be as administrator, with password.

It worked for my Win2K installation where part of my library is located on a drive remove from the server.

TD

grcooper
2006-06-09, 07:39
FWIW, my music is located externally on a Linkstation drive on the network. The Linkstation is not (yet) running Slimserver. I am referencing the drive not by drive letter but by the Universal whatchamacallit name....for example, \\mydrive\myfolder\my music. This has worked just fine in the past, and it works for the Browse Music Folder function, so I am pretty comfortable that it is finding the drive.

The *exact* same thing is happening to me, and I have your setup as well (Linkstation, \\mydrive\, etc.)

-gary

grcooper
2006-06-09, 07:43
I think you need to turn on slimserver.exe as a service.

He's probably already done this - the squeezebox wouldn't work at all with the linkstation unless he'd done it (I'm in the same boat - the library won't scan, but I can add to my libary manually and play files fine, which it wouldn't do if I hadn't set up slimserver.exe as a service).

FWIW, if this helps anyone figure out the problem, when I view the album list via "View Artwork", the thumbnails don't show up.

-gary

sdf
2006-06-09, 10:32
Yeah, I seem to be fine with the Services stuff. This runs the server just fine, it reads the music folder just fine and it has scanned the library successfully several times in the past few weeks. So, I think my environment is set up fine.

I found a similar thread in the Beginners section. The title had something to do with Library Empty as opposed to failing to scan. But, it was the same problem, as far as I can tell.

The above thread did not solve the problem, but had a somewhat better workaround than touching each album manually. I believe they browsed the music folder and clicked on All Songs to add them to the playlist. This touched everything and added it to the database. I'm not even trying to re-scan at this point. When I add a new CD, I just add it to the playlist via Music Folder the first time and it gets added automatically. Kind of strange, but I can live with it, I guess.

If anyone comes up with a solution, it would be nice to know, but I am dealing with it for now.

thanks,
sf

sdf
2006-06-09, 10:37
FWIW, if this helps anyone figure out the problem, when I view the album list via "View Artwork", the thumbnails don't show up.

Hi Gary,

I'm far from an expert on this, but I have some MP3s that I ripped using MusicMatch a few years back. Those thumbnails show up fine. The new stuff using FLAC does not. I am using EAC to create files now. I think I need to add a plug-in to look up the artwork, it doesn't seem to happen natively. So, you may have a similar problem.

Planning to make your Linkstation a server? It doesn't look too horrendous, but I need to change my firmware and I just haven't had enough motivation to do it, yet. But, it seems like the way to go.

sf

grcooper
2006-06-09, 12:31
The new stuff using FLAC does not. I am using EAC to create files now.

Yep, all of my stuff is FLAC, so that might be it (I'm using WinAMP to rip)

Planning to make your Linkstation a server? It doesn't look too horrendous, but I need to change my firmware and I just haven't had enough motivation to do it, yet. But, it seems like the way to go.

Same here - I have the instructions printed out, but haven't found a pressing need yet - I'm using an old laptop as my server (it doesn't do anything else).

On the original problem (failed scans), I have my library setup to auto-scan during the night (this also doesn't work - maybe this will provide a clue toward the solution).

-gary

slimpy
2006-06-09, 15:49
Just for clarification (sorry, can't help with the actual problem):
Album artwork has nothing to do with the rescan problem. It's a known problem that artwork doesn't show up under "Browse artwork" if you add albums by browsing the music folder.
sdf's observation isn't related to either problem. MusicMatch seems to download and store album artwork in the mp3 files automatically. EAC can't do that (vorbis comments don't support embedded artwork anyway).

-.s

sdf
2006-06-09, 20:01
Just for clarification (sorry, can't help with the actual problem):
Album artwork has nothing to do with the rescan problem. It's a known problem that artwork doesn't show up under "Browse artwork" if you add albums by browsing the music folder.
sdf's observation isn't related to either problem. MusicMatch seems to download and store album artwork in the mp3 files automatically. EAC can't do that (vorbis comments don't support embedded artwork anyway).

-.s

Well, I was prepared to agree with you, I wouldn't think the problems would be related and I did not intend my post to suggest that they were related. I was just trying to point Gary in the right direction.

However, it turns out that I misspoke earlier. Browse Artwork does not work for me, any longer. It *did* work at one point (for my MP3s that have artwork) and I still have the artwork when a song is playing, so I assumed Browse Artwork was functional. The fact that it stopped working about the same time as the scan function failing seems a little suspicious, though. I can't imagine why they would be related, but it *is* an odd coincidence.

sf

snarlydwarf
2006-06-09, 20:05
Well there is a slight relationship: after all the tracks are added to the database, album art is collected.

So if it dies during the track-scan, it won't get to the scan for artwork and will only pick up what it gets while playing (which doesn't show up in Browse Artwork).

mmcguff
2006-06-09, 23:51
This may not do any good for you, but I found a similar problem myself recently (though I'm running a Mac Slimserver with music on a Terastation NAS) where the library was completely blank after a "delete all" rescan. I quit Slimserver, went in and deleted slimserversql.db and related files (not sure where it is in Windows, but it is under Caches in OS X) and restarted Slimserver. After a complete rescan (actually, it should automatically start the rescan as soon as you start Slimserver up), everything showed up once again. I have no idea what happened, but nothing I did from within Slimserver seemed to do any good. (This is with Slimserver 6.3, by the way.) Out of curiosity, I just started another rescan from scratch and everything seems to be working fine now. Perhaps the slimserversql.db file got corrupted somehow? You might give this a try anyway...

sdf
2006-06-12, 08:40
I quit Slimserver, went in and deleted slimserversql.db and related files

Well, I might have to try this in the interest of science. I have everything loaded in the database right now and I hate to touch it, but probably in a day or so my curiousity will get the better of me... I'll be sure to post if I find out anything.

sf

Ramage
2006-06-12, 12:17
Can you scan a folder local to your PC? The SS database is not being populated. Could you have a Firewall issue on your PC blocking access to the network? Try it with your FW switched out.

Testing the scan on a local drive will give you some clues on where to go next.

sdf
2006-06-12, 20:59
Can you scan a folder local to your PC? The SS database is not being populated. Could you have a Firewall issue on your PC blocking access to the network? Try it with your FW switched out.

Testing the scan on a local drive will give you some clues on where to go next.

Not sure what you mean here. Are you suggesting that I copy some files to my local machine and try to scan those? I *could*, but I don't think this is a firewall issue. I have scanned successfully several times in the past. If I "touch" the file on the Linkstation, it adds it to the database, I can see it via Browse Music Folder, once it is in the database, it plays from the server. Surely the firewall issue would manifest itself in all these cases, would it not?

Finally, it seems to be working again, which I'll explain in another post, so the opportunity to test "why" seems to be lost.

sf

sdf
2006-06-12, 21:36
Well, I might have to try this in the interest of science. sf

I love to quote myself...

Anyway, science has been thwarted. To prepare my test, I cleared the library and ran another scan just to make sure it had not spontaneously corrected itself. As it turns out, the thing scanned perfectly. It is hard to be disappointed by this outcome, but it is rather unfortunate that the problem is not repeatable.

I have not made much in the way of changes, but there have been a couple minor ones. I'm not sure they are relevant, but I point them out, nonetheless.

First, I changed the setting to scan the library for changes once a day. Previously, it had been turned off. I wanted to turn it on for the future.

In addition, at the moment the Squeezebox is currently not found by the Slimserver. I had it running with Pandora earlier, which apparently "disconnects" it from the Slimserver.

I suppose there is one other change, sort of. One could argue that I started fully loaded database (using the workaround) prior to it being cleared when this scan started. Perhaps the scan that started this whole problem ran into some small transient problem and the database was corrupted and would not scan from that point. I made several failed scan attempts before resorting to the work around described awhile back. The work around may have overwritten the corruption. I did not try to scan everything again using the Full Scan until today. Now it works...

It is not clear to me any of these changes would make a difference, but I believe that is all that has changed since the problem started.

sf

sdf
2006-06-13, 11:52
BTW, my Browse Artwork is back now, as well.

sf