PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer is running but won't connect to local

ritchied
2006-06-07, 19:28
I had to swap out machines recently and now my slim server will not connect to the local server.

I have XP-media centre installed clean and just d/l the current slim server software and it installed fine. Slim loads but when I go to open SlimServer is appears to look for the following address: http://58.8.4.77/ and eventually it times out with Network Error (tcp_error) error message

I tried manually to connect with my local host but it does not work.

I disabled Norton's but still cannot connect locally. To add to this, my device can connect and I can stream from the device but cannot connect locally to set up tracks, playlists, etc.

Any ideas???

Thanks

NWP
2006-06-08, 00:23
When you say you "go to open slimserver" do you mean you are clicking on the little squeezebox icon in in the system tray?

What happens if you just type http://localhost:9000 or http://127.0.0.1:9000 in your address bar?

ritchied
2006-06-08, 05:59
When you say you "go to open slimserver" do you mean you are clicking on the little squeezebox icon in in the system tray?

What happens if you just type http://localhost:9000 or http://127.0.0.1:9000 in your address bar?

Yes, I try both from the sys tray (which clearly states it is running) or the Start menu...both ways deliver the same results.

I have tried the local host url, 192.168.x.x. and 127...all try to connect but fail with the same error message indicated in initial post. After they finally fail, it give the Network Error (tcp_error) error message and the ip address 58.8.10.10

I have no freaking idea where that is coming from.....

thanks...

radish
2006-06-08, 07:43
Are you in Thailand? That IP is assigned to an ISP in Bangkok.

inetnum: 58.8.0.0 - 58.8.255.255
netname: TRUENET
descr: ADSL HuaweiBB Truehisp Infrastructure True

If you're not in Thailand, something is clearly "up". What are the contents of your C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file? Also, try opening a command window and typing "ping localhost" - what do you get back?

If you are in Thailand, then for some reason your external IP is being used internally. What router are you using?

ritchied
2006-06-08, 08:30
Are you in Thailand? That IP is assigned to an ISP in Bangkok.

If you are in Thailand, then for some reason your external IP is being used internally. What router are you using?

Indeed I am in Thailand :-) I am using the same router I have used for months, Linksys WAG354G. As mentioned in opening post, I had to replace the PC so have a new install of all software and this is when the error started happening. FYI, the only thing in the host file is 127.0.0.1 localhost

Specifically, once i try to open slimserver the browser is looking for that 58.x.x.x and the ternimates with:

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out"
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

So any other thoughts>>>

THanks...

radish
2006-06-08, 08:43
Indeed I am in Thailand :-)

I'm very jealous, I love that country :)

I am using the same router I have used for months, Linksys WAG354G. As mentioned in opening post, I had to replace the PC so have a new install of all software and this is when the error started happening. FYI, the only thing in the host file is 127.0.0.1 localhost

Specifically, once i try to open slimserver the browser is looking for that 58.x.x.x and the ternimates with:

Network Error (tcp_error)

The error makes sense, the IP is assigned to your router and it will block any attempt to connect to it's external interface (58.x.x.x) from it's internal interface (typically 192.168.x.x). The question is why on earth requesting localhost makes it go to that address - your PC should have no knowledge of it at all. What address does your squeezebox say it's connected to (look in the Information menu)? And can you try the ping test? I'd be curious how it resolves localhost outside of a browser. It may also be worth trying a different browser like firefox.

ritchied
2006-06-08, 19:07
The error makes sense, It may also be worth trying a different browser like firefox.

Hey! Mozilla does open up slim server with no problem. Hmmmmm, it was working fine before with both IE and Mozilla.

Unfortunately, now that I can open the app and try to stream, it gives me a new error.

When I try to play anything (from the PC) it immediately returns to STOPPED mode and will not play the track/s. I go the device and it sees the list on the playlist however when I hit play on the remote, an error message pops up on the Squeeze device that says:

Problem: Can't open file for: <file name>

I have tried many different albums and no go.

I have looked at the info and device setting on the Squeezebox and the local IP, server, DNS, etc. all seem correct. There is no mentioned of the 58.x address in the setup.

While I do not know why, it leads me to believe these are somehow related to each other. Any new thoughts on this?

Thanks....

mrrobert
2006-09-09, 07:30
Where did you purchase the the Squeezebox in thailand?