PDA

View Full Version : Easy to reproduce reboot bug with 6.2.2

knigma
2006-06-07, 12:15
With slimserver 6.2.2 / firmware 48 on a Squeezebox 2 (FreeBSD server installed from the ports):

Start playing a track from an album of mp3s. Press and release the Fwd key on the remote to move to the start of the next track and then almost immediately press and hold the Rev key for a couple of seconds and the Squeezebox reboots.

Solution: Don't do what I describe above. This is a recipe that reproduces the problem reliabily for me but other combinations of Fwd and Rev have had the same effect. Do others see this?

Cheers

Mark

ChrisOwens
2006-06-07, 12:51
Uh yeah I see that.

Firmware crashes are bad. I filed it as bug 3505; please feel free to add any additional info you think I missed!

Thanks for finding this one!

knigma
2006-06-08, 11:47
Thanks for the rapid confirmation; I think you've covered it!

JJZolx
2006-06-08, 12:20
Uh yeah I see that.

Firmware crashes are bad. I filed it as bug 3505;

Umm, apparently they're not _that_ bad:

If this is too time-consuming or risky for 6.3, go ahead and set it to 6.5. It
doesn't happen often because there's not much REASON to immediately rewind a
track you just started.
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3505

ChrisOwens
2006-06-08, 13:46
I stand by my assessment! I'm pretty happy with with the firmware at the moment, and don't want to delay the 6.3 release longer than necessary.

It's always a balancing act with new releases. Do we want to release a firmware version with a known uncommon bug, or make last-minute changes to something we hope to ship soon? Do we want to go ahead and ship something that will help customers have a good first experience, or do we want to hang on to it and try to pack in a few more fixes?

But, as Dean is fond of saying, we're a "ridiculously open" company, so I'm happy to hear if anyone has advice we can use to improve the way we work!

JJZolx
2006-06-08, 13:55
I stand by my assessment! I'm pretty happy with with the firmware at the moment, and don't want to delay the 6.3 release longer than necessary.
Start planning now for 6.3.1? 6.5 is obviously out there a little way in the future.

kdf
2006-06-08, 14:01
Quoting JJZolx <JJZolx.293q1z1149800401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Start planning now for 6.3.1? 6.5 is obviously out there a little way
> in the future.

helpful as always. frankly i'd worry if the releases stopped coming.
Moodlogic anyone??
-k