X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MPBphotographic
    • Jun 2006

Wired or Wireless

Hi,
    I am going to be purchasing a Squeezebox soon for a new flat.

When I get it set up my computer will be completely wireless as its too far from the main phoneline. My stereo however is going to be right near the main phoneline and therefore I can have the squeezebox wired to my router.

My questions are:

1) How reliable is a completely wireless network (squeezebox and computer?)?
    2) Will I get any more reliability in having my squeezebox wired and my computer wireless? Or would this only occur if things were the other way around?

Cheers,
    Matt
  • Heuer
    • Nov 2005

If the wireless causes a problem you could try these:

Official manufacturer website and online shop✓ Magic Powerline adapter✓ Smart Home✓ Wi-Fi booster✓ Up-to-date downloads✓ 3-year manufacturer's warranty✓

They are easy to set up and do work very well. Amazon sell them.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Comment

• ceejay
      • Apr 2005

Its really hard to call how reliable a particular setup will be, as so much depends on the levels of interference you will have, the thickness of your walls etc

But generally having both server and SB wireless is not ideal as everything has to take two wireless hops, and if you are in a marginal interference situation that could be just too unreliable. If you can easily wire your SB, you should definitely do it.

It might be an idea to buy a wireless unit anyway, if cost is not critical, to maintain flexibility in the future.

Ceejay

Comment

• JJZolx
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by MPBphotographic
        1) How reliable is a completely wireless network (squeezebox and computer?)?
        2) Will I get any more reliability in having my squeezebox wired and my computer wireless? Or would this only occur if things were the other way around?
        If you can easily run the Squeezebox wired without installing cabling, or having patch cables run all over the place, it wouldn't make much sense to run it wirelessly.

But I'd spend a little more and get the wireless Squeezebox anyway. It's a lot more flexible if you ever move things around in your flat or if you move some day in the future.

Comment

• Mark Lanctot
          • Oct 2005

Computer wired and Squeezebox wireless would be preferable. Wire the computer to the wireless router along with the Internet connection on the WAN port.
          Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

• azinck3
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Mark Lanctot
            Computer wired and Squeezebox wireless would be preferable. Wire the computer to the wireless router along with the Internet connection on the WAN port.
            Why would this be preferable? I can't think of any reason...

edit: on second thought, I guess it would minimize dropouts when you're doing other things with your PC on the network at the same time as you're streaming (e.g., browsing, copying files). Your SB won't ever be doing anything except streaming so the extra bandwidth wouldn't be as critical.
            Last edited by azinck3; 2006-06-08, 03:10.
            1x SB1, 3x SB1g, 1x SB2, 1x SB3, 2x Booms

Comment

• NWP
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by azinck3
              Why would this be preferable? I can't think of any reason...

edit: on second thought, I guess it would minimize dropouts when you're doing other things with your PC on the network at the same time as you're streaming (e.g., browsing, copying files). Your SB won't ever be doing anything except streaming so the extra bandwidth wouldn't be as critical.
              Also, if you add one or more squeezeboxes in the future, your server would now be sending two or more streams over wireless. A squeezebox is only going to ever receive one stream. A server can send out multiple streams so would benefit from more bandwidth.

Comment

• cbemoore
                • Apr 2005

I'm using wireless for my server PC and 2 squeezeboxes with absolutely no problems.

Both squeezeboxes are fairly near my router and have a decent strong signal (they report 98% and 78% signal strength). But my server PC is at the other end of the house and reports low signal strength and 24Mbps throughput (I'm running an 802.11G network).

Despiter the low signal strength for the server, and the fact that its often streaming to both squeezeboxes at the same time, I never get a single dropout.

So despite the theoretical disadvantages of running everything via wireless, I'd say give it a go - it will probably work absolutely fine.

YMMV, of course....

Chris
                Last edited by cbemoore; 2006-06-08, 09:04.

Comment

• MPBphotographic
                  • Jun 2006

Thanks for the replies everyone.

There seems a bit of debate as to whether having the SB wired and computer wireless will bring me much benefit. This is the only way around I can do things. It should be more reliable than completely wireless, correct?

Chris- out of interest what router do you use?

And in general are there any routers that people recommend as working particularly well with SB? I might as well ask as I have yet to buy the router as well. By the way I'm in the UK.

Heuer- thanks for the link. I'm not sure I understand what exactly that is an how it would differ from a normal wireless router/modem?

Matt

Comment

• cbemoore
                    • Apr 2005

I'm in the UK too - I'm using a Netgear DG834G v2 router.

I had a dodgy one at first which caused me no end of problems, but the replacement has been absolutely perfect.

As a general rule for any networking equipment, I'd always use a wired connection if its convenient, otherwise try a wireless connection. If your SB is right next to your router, you might as well use a wired connection.

Comment

• Heuer
                      • Nov 2005

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Heuer- thanks for the link. I'm not sure I understand what exactly that is an how it would differ from a normal wireless router/modem?

Matt

Matt

The Devolo units allow you to use your mains wiring as a LAN. Basically connect your SB3 ethernet cable to the Devolo and plug it into a mains socket. Connect your Router to the other Devolo with an ethernet cable and plug in. You now have a 85Mbit ethernet connection! You can keep adding Devolo's around the house wherever you need a handy ethernet connection. I currently use them for a WAP, Security Cameras, TiVo and SB3 all running concurrently. Amazing devices.
                      Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
                      Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
                      Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
                      Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
                      Bedroom: Radio
                      Shed: Radio
                      Workshop: Boom
                      Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
                      Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Comment

• ModelCitizen
                        • May 2005

Just to confirm the post before but one. I'm in the UK. I use a DG834G. In my last house I was in range of four other networks. I had my Squeezebox 1 wired into the router and streamed wirelessly from SlimServer. Once I had a channel that was not interfered with by the pother networks (I think I ended up on channel 13) all was fine. I was mostly streaming Flacs too. I had the very, very occasional drop out. My wireless signal was quite strong though (well over 80%, but can't remember exactly). I had a wireless phone near the router and a microwave a clear 15 feet away.
                        A Squeezebox 1 streams uncompressed (pcm) whereas the later Squeezeboxes transcode in firmware so Flac is streamed (very roughly a third of the bandwidth).
                        MC
                        Take care of your tongue. It is in a wet place and can easily slip.

Lounge: Naim NDX with Touch as controller, Naim NAP 180, NAC 82, NAPSC, HiCap, Shahinian Arc speakers
                        Kitchen/outside: Chromecast audio, Azatom iBigBoy 2 (500W)
                        And... SB+, radios & tons of Chromecasts... all run from LMS and controlled via Material Skin on any nearby device and a couple of Touchs.

Comment

• Roy2001
                          • May 2006

Buy a wireless version, but wire it if it drops signal wirelessly.

Comment

• amrace
                            • Jun 2006

I'm in the uk and have just purchased a 3Com Office Connect 54MBPS ADSL Wireless Modem Router from ebuyer. It was very easy to set up in less than an hour (I'm not a techno wizz) including the firewall ports and I have had no problems with it up to now. Im currenty using it wired to the PC and squeezebox so I can't comment on the wireless connection. It was £45.75 inc VAT, came with a free usb wireless adaptor and has loads of good reviews on ebuyer.

Comment

• MPBphotographic
                              • Jun 2006

Ok thanks guys, really helpful.

I'm pretty clear now. My only remaining thoughts is in regard to the Devolo stuff.

How many Devolo units would I need? One by my PC, one by the router and one by the SB3? And what benefit does that bring? Is is completely like a wired network with no wireless at all? And can I still use a Nokia 770 wirelessly?

Sorry if those questions sound stupid, its just tha the Devolo stuff looks good but i don't quite understand it.

Thanks,
                              Matt

Comment

Working...