PDA

View Full Version : Qnap TS-101 feedback

MadScientist
2006-06-06, 00:11
I'm looking for a NAS (which can run Slimserver) for my Squeezebox so I don't have to have my power-hungry computer on all the time. The silent QNAP TS-101 has its attractions on paper (esp. the silent bit), but reading the 'update' thread below makes me nervous as there seem to be quite a few issues. I'd therefore be most grateful for some feedback from owners. Does it run smoothly? Would you buy again?

Thanks

MS

Fifer
2006-06-06, 00:39
When I ordered my Qnap, I wasn't sure how much I really needed it and almost cancelled my order on a couple of occasions when the ship date kept slipping out. However, now that I have it I wouldn't be without it. It's a wonderful piece of kit and the price/performance ratio is pretty impressive. Using the web interface, it's a wee bit slower than my PC, but still perfectly acceptable. Using the remote control, I notice no performance difference between the Qnap and my PC as server.

The only minor issue I experience is related to the one mentioned by Heuer in post #651 in the update thread (momentary audio drop-out when skipping tracks in random mode). I only get a 2-second drop out and only when skipping the previous track. If the random playlist progresses normally, every thing works fine. All my music is ripped as FLAC and there is not a problem with large, uncompressed files.

The ability to double up as the printer server fro my wireless network is an added, but useful bonus.

Andy_W
2006-06-06, 02:14
I would agree with Fifer. Apart from some of the initial issues, I have had no problems with my Qnap. I would not class myself as a "power user" as I only have a 160GB set up and I use mp3s, but arrangement has been more than adequate for what I need. My only (small) gripe is not being able to link to itunes playlists from the Qnap (if anyone has succesfully done this, please let me know) as the slimserver playlist interface is a bit unwieldly.

bossanova808
2006-06-06, 03:47
I'm extremely happy with my Infrant readyNAS with slim - it works an absolute treat, has done for ages now.

Just another option.

dean
2006-06-06, 07:32
<shamelessplug>
We've got a special available on our web site now to buy a 1TB
ReadyNAS and two wireless Squeezeboxen for $1499. A really good deal.
</shamelessplug>

On Jun 6, 2006, at 3:47 AM, bossanova808 wrote:

>
> I'm extremely happy with my Infrant readyNAS with slim - it works an
> absolute treat, has done for ages now.
>
> Just another option.
>
>
> --
> bossanova808
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> bossanova808's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=619
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=24498
>
>

nicketynick
2006-06-06, 08:25
<shamelessplug>
We've got a special available on our web site now to buy a 1TB
ReadyNAS and two wireless Squeezeboxen for $1499. A really good deal.
</shamelessplug>

Wow, that's a significant savings by my calculation! Any chance you'll do something with only 250GB storage, so I can build up slowly? (ie. stealth purchasing, to avoid tricky questions!)

dean
2006-06-06, 08:50
On Jun 6, 2006, at 8:25 AM, nicketynick wrote:
> dean Wrote:
>> <shamelessplug>
>> We've got a special available on our web site now to buy a 1TB
>> ReadyNAS and two wireless Squeezeboxen for $1499. A really good
>> deal.
>> </shamelessplug>
>>
>>
>
> Wow, that's a significant savings by my calculation! Any chance
> you'll
> do something with only 250GB storage, so I can build up slowly? (ie.
> stealth purchasing, to avoid tricky questions!)
This is the only configuration we're offering at this time.

MadScientist
2006-06-06, 10:55
Thanks for the feed-back,I may well go for the Qnap.

The ReadyNAS is quite noisy, so for me it's a non-starter as I want the server in my living room.

The only other option I'm considering is to build my own server from a barebones computer. Anyone go this route?

MS

Heuer
2006-06-06, 11:09
Thanks for the feed-back,I may well go for the Qnap.

The ReadyNAS is quite noisy, so for me it's a non-starter as I want the server in my living room.

The only other option I'm considering is to build my own server from a barebones computer. Anyone go this route?

MS

You are wrong - the ReadyNAS is VERY noisy! Think jet engine and you are close. The only way to consider owning one is if you can put it in a garage, loft or cellar. And I am not kidding as I have both!

Janco
2006-06-06, 12:29
Quite happy with it now. Some doubts/drawbacks:

1) The thing doesn't go to sleep on my quite busy network. If it does, it's only to wake up again a few seconds later.
2) It gets rather warm on the outside. I wonder what the combined effect of 1 and 2 on durability are.
3) The print server appears not to be very reliable. After a while the printer is not found on the network anymore.

Janco

Paul_B
2006-06-06, 13:13
I was of the same opinion about the QNAP originally and didn't know how much I would use it. I had a Netgear SC101 before.

Now I have the Qnap I couldn't live without it. All the PCs in the house (we have 5) have mappings for shared and personal data. All my software is easily located, plus pics, etc. I use the share for music so it is available to iTunes and rip from as well. I love Slimserver and I currently don't have a Squeezebox.

Is it noisy? Nope mine isn't. Is it constantly on? Nope mine isn't because I can hear it spin up if I am very close and a browse operation intially takes a second. Does it get hot? No idea don't make a habit of touching the case. I think it will last as long as any hard-drive. But I will be glad when Qnap bring out a slave and I can setup RAID 1

Fifer
2006-06-06, 13:29
3) The print server appears not to be very reliable. After a while the printer is not found on the network anymore.
I'm not sure that's a Qnap problem. Mine has been running as a print server faultlessly since I set it up as one months ago.

Infrant
2006-06-06, 14:46
You are wrong - the ReadyNAS is VERY noisy! Think jet engine and you are close. The only way to consider owning one is if you can put it in a garage, loft or cellar. And I am not kidding as I have both!

Heuer,

This is Sam from Infrant Technologies, I assume you have already visited our forum's to try and find out if there might something faulty with your particular unit? Can you tell me which model ReadyNAS you have along with the firmware revision?

Unless you live in an extreme environment, the device shouldn't be generating "Jet Engine" level fan noise. (I know its probably an exaggeration but I would like to find out more)

Thanks,
Sam

simonjedrake
2006-06-06, 14:51
I was one of the 1st to recieve a Qnap TS-101 (300Gb) with Slimserver way back in Feb 06. As with all leading "edge" products you get initial problems, but together with Paul @ Progressive we rapidly found solutions. The latest software updates now give a 100% reliable product, I could not do with out it now.

The main features I use are:-
1. Wireless stream my itunes mp3's thoughout the house with Slimserver to SB3's with my PC turned off.
2. Use the multi-media web front end to view/share my photo's over the net. By using the Dynamic DNS/Webhop feature to Port 9000 I can access the Qnap from anywere over the net.
3. Use the Web front end to use it as a file server to access files from work stored on my Qnap @ home.
4. Use the Qnap as a 2nd backup storage device.

There is no other product like it out there, it looks so cool, runs so quiet, is a good price, AND has Paul available to give backup either via this forum or by email.
I really believe in this product, it has so many uses.The only o/s issue I have not yet found an answer to with 6.2.2 in not reading itunes playlists, were as 6.1.x was able to - hence problem is Slimserver NOT Qnap.

Kevin O. Lepard
2006-06-06, 15:30
>MadScientist Wrote:
>> Thanks for the feed-back,I may well go for the Qnap.
>>
>> The ReadyNAS is quite noisy, so for me it's a non-starter as I want the
>> server in my living room.
>>
>> The only other option I'm considering is to build my own server from a
>> barebones computer. Anyone go this route?
>>
>> MS
>
>You are wrong - the ReadyNAS is VERY noisy! Think jet engine and you
>are close. The only way to consider owning one is if you can put it in
>a garage, loft or cellar. And I am not kidding as I have both!

This is not true of my ReadyNAS NV. I have it set up as a 2 Tb RAID
5, and although you can hear the fan whir from a few feet away if
it's quiet, it certainly is not loud. I can't speak for the other
ReadyNAS products, but the NV is by no means invariably loud.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

Heuer
2006-06-07, 02:59
Heuer,

This is Sam from Infrant Technologies, I assume you have already visited our forum's to try and find out if there might something faulty with your particular unit? Can you tell me which model ReadyNAS you have along with the firmware revision?

Unless you live in an extreme environment, the device shouldn't be generating "Jet Engine" level fan noise. (I know its probably an exaggeration but I would like to find out more)

Thanks,
Sam

Sam

I had the NV (fw9 4 x 500Gb Seagates - fan speed currently 2142 after calibration) in my office alongside a Dell PC and air-con unit. It was noisier than both together and made the environment intolerable and really noticeable when I switched it off, perhaps the best test. It is now in a utility room competing with the fridge and washing machine. The jet engine analogy was perhaps over the top but the NV is not a domestic product suitable for use in any living area. This is one of three NV's we have and the other two are the same.

Infrant have tried to get the box as small as possible but that has compromised the thermo dynamics. Air is drawn past the (four in my case) disks through a filter and a series of small holes in the rear circuit board. This needs a large fast running fan to keep temperatures down as it has a lot of work to do. The secondary (even noisier) PSU fan blows its air against a solid case back rather than a vent! Even the ventilation holes in the NV case are false and seem to be there as a 'design' feature. When a NV mk2 is on the cards Infrant should get a thermo/aero dynamics expert involved. I reckon you could cut the noise by half with a sensibly designed case.

I have the Qnap sitting next to me on my desk as I type this. It is almost completely silent and sits at steady 37c temperature.

Don't get me wrong, I think the NV is a superb bit of kit but it is not a domestic solution, unless you have somewhere to put it, and to be fair to potential buyers you should warn them of this. The Infrant forum does have a number of threads on the subject.

Regards

David