PDA

View Full Version : Connection failing

Justme
2006-06-04, 23:30
Hello all,

Well, my Squeezebox2 has been working for quite a while, but all of a sudden I have wireless connection problems, and for no apparent reason (i.e. I havn't installed anything or changed settings)

Basically, I have an Ad-hoc connection to the squeezebox, using a D-Link G122 at my computer (no access point used here). Now, the problem that happens is the wireless adaptor sees the "squeeze" network and connects to it, but it now says "no signal" ??? and there is no traffic. The squeezebox displays stays blank, and when I use the remote to try and force a connection nothing happens.

I havn't moved anything, added any other devices which may be blocking the signal, and why does it connect to the squeeze network if it can't get a signal?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

smc2911
2006-06-04, 23:40
Does it work pluggin in directly with an ethernet cable? It's worth using NetStumbler to see whether anyone else's wireless network is interfering with your channel. Also, have a look at these:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsBeginnersGuide
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

mherger
2006-06-04, 23:46
> Well, my Squeezebox2 has been working for quite a while, but all of a
> sudden I have wireless connection problems, and for no apparent reason
> (i.e. I havn't installed anything or changed settings)

Try a factory reset on the SB2: unplug the device, press and hold the ADD
button on the remote and plug the device in again. You'll then be asked to
configure your device.

Last week both my SB2s showed the same behaviour withing 24h, after having
been running for months without a glitch. I don't know what happened to
them, but the factory reset did the trick for both devices.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Justme
2006-06-05, 03:03
Many thanks for the answers but no luck so far. I tried the factory reset but it didn't help.

Now, I have a couple of questions here.

My network is set up as follows:

My local area connection is set up as DHCP. This is a Nvidia ethernet adaptor which is set to DHCP, but produces an IP of 169.254.25.196 (255.255.0.0). I presume this means it couldn't grap a DHCP address, yet it works fine for the internet. Odd as well as it has no gateway.

For some reason, my XP created a second controller called "Broadband" a WAN Miniport (PPPOE) with an odd IP address of 84.177.91.164 (255.255.255.255???) and a gateway of 84.177.91.164. I don't really understand why it does this, but I presume the local area connection connects to this for it's internet connection.

For the Ad-Hoc wireless, my D-link adaptor connected to my PC was originally set as DHCP, but pulled an address of: 169.254.63.19 (and no gateway)

When I setup my Squeezebox, I tried DHCP, but no go. However, it set an IP address of 169.254.15.23, so it's in the same network as the D-link (and same subnet mask of 255.255.0.0) So, technically, they should connect. I have tried static IP's for both but no difference.

So, when I set the gateway on my Squeezebox, what should I set it to? to 84.177.91.164 of the broadband controller, or 169.254.63.19 of the D-link on my PC?

I simply can't figure out why this should suddenly stop working.

radish
2006-06-05, 06:45
Where's the DHCP server? In most people's home networks they use a router which doubles as a DHCP server but seeing as you have the internet connection hooked directly into your PC and a secondary adhoc wireless net I don't see where you expect the IP addresses to be obtained from.

You should set all the wireless devices to static IPs in the 192.168.1.x. range, set the netmasks to 255.255.255.0 and try again. Wireless devices won't be able to see out onto the internet unless you setup connection sharing on the PC.

ipodscool
2006-06-05, 10:34
It's a long shot but I guess if one has experienced this (me!) then so has someone else.

After changing every setting in the world of wireless with no success, I discovered that the SB3 mac address had changed & required resetting. Just check that the mac address corresponds to that on the sticky label attached to the underside of your SB3.

Hope this helps, cos life without a working Squeezeboz ain't no fun!!

Player Firmware Version: 50
SlimServer Version: 6.3.0 - 7668 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Stefan Thuwis
2006-06-05, 13:12
Same problem here..
Bought my SB3 just a few days ago, no problem at all, then this afternoon, I suddenly got vertical 'lines' on the display. Couldn't get rid of those lines by switching off, so unplugged and got the power in again, display was fine again, but since then I can't access my wireless network anymore.
I tried about everything, connection through ethernet works, but only if I set up everything manually (no DHCP possible). I did check the mac address and indeed, it changed. (was 00:04:20:06:8A:9B became FF:FF:C6:FF:FF:FF)
I still cannot connect to my wireless, although I have a signal strength of 98%, I did the factory reset, but nothing seems to work.

Just a guess, but since everyone seems to have this same (new?) problem around the same time, could it be that someone wrote a virus for our SB's?

Hoping for a quick solution...

ST

Stefan Thuwis
2006-06-05, 13:42
ipodscool is right.

Compare the MAC address on the sticker with the one in your current settings:

* View current settings
* 13 of 15 : MAC address

If these wo are different, manually change the internal MAC address to the one on the sticker, and you should be ok to connect again!

Thanks Simon!!

ST

Mark Lanctot
2006-06-05, 14:06
This is a Nvidia ethernet adaptor

Are you using the Nvidia firewall? Apparently it has a nice "feature", randomly mangling bits that go through it.

Try disabling it and upgrading to another firewall.

Mark Lanctot
2006-06-05, 14:17
So, when I set the gateway on my Squeezebox, what should I set it to? to 84.177.91.164 of the broadband controller, or 169.254.63.19 of the D-link on my PC?

The gateway is the computer that is directly connected to the Internet - the device the Squeezebox will have to go to in order to get Internet access. Therefore use the 84 address.

The 169 addresses are bizarre. These are fallback addresses. You won't be able to tell if the Squeezebox connects or not with addresses like that. Go into the web administration page of the router and give it an address of 192.168.1.0, or reset it to factory default.

radish
2006-06-05, 14:42
Are you using the Nvidia firewall? Apparently it has a nice "feature", randomly mangling bits that go through it.

Try disabling it and upgrading to another firewall.
Indeed so, when I got my shiny new machine the whole thing was completely unstable. Web pages had corrupt images, downloaded videos wouldn't play and zips wouldn't open. I tried disabling the nVidia firewall but still didn't trust it so I switched to a different LAN port. No problems since...I can't believe they screwed up something as simple as a LAN port so badly, and I've seen no official word from nVidia on the problem.

Justme
2006-06-06, 02:50
Thanks to all those who have been helping me with this issue.

I've taken your advice, and changed my IP to the 192... range for both the PC's wireless network and the Squeezebox.

I have also checked the Mac Address and this is the same.

Unfortunately, I still cannot connect. This is what happens.

On the PC, it searches for wireless connections and see's the squeezebox (which I have named "squeeze") It can now connect to this, and when it does so, it says "connected, signal strength "very good".

On the squeezebox, it can connect to the "squeeze" network as well. However, when connecting to the Slimserver, this is where it fails.

I have the slim server IP address the same as the wireless network one for my PC. could this be the problem?

So, in summary:

PC:
Ethernet cable to Internet: (DHCP) 169.254.25.96 (255.255.0.0)
Wireless adaptor: (Static) 192.168.0.1 (255.255.255.0)
WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface ??? (DHCP) 84.177.98.32 (255.255.255.255)

Squeezebox: (Static) 192.168.0.3 (255.255.255.0)
Pointing to Slimserver at 192.168.0.1

Justme
2006-06-06, 03:12
As for the Nvidia Firewall, I had it set to "hacking only" and never was a problem (I also use Norton Firewall) but since the suggestion, I have switched the Nvidia one off. No change though

Justme
2006-06-06, 04:27
Of note, I can't ping the slim sever, despite it being connected to the "squeeze" network. I would imagine this may be important.

Justme
2006-06-06, 15:46
Ok, once again, thanks to all those who provided assistance.

I managed to get it going again, and the problem seemed to be a combination of a dodgy driver for the D-link wireless adaptor, and a dodgy USB port.

I had to reinstall the D-link driver and move it to another USB port.

For some reason the D-link adaptor doesn't work anymore in one particular USB port (though other devices work in it). Is there some way to restore individual USB ports, or do I need to reinstall all the drivers. It's all a bit confusing in the Device Manager as there are options for various USB Controllers, and another thing called USB Root. And of cause, none indicate which actual port they are referring to. Anyone know if there is an easy way to find out?

Mark Lanctot
2006-06-06, 18:24
For some reason the D-link adaptor doesn't work anymore in one particular USB port (though other devices work in it). Is there some way to restore individual USB ports, or do I need to reinstall all the drivers. It's all a bit confusing in the Device Manager as there are options for various USB Controllers, and another thing called USB Root. And of cause, none indicate which actual port they are referring to. Anyone know if there is an easy way to find out?

This is kinda drastic, but...have your motherboard CD handy and delete all the USB ports in Device Manager.

Reboot and it should prompt you for the drivers, which are on your motherboard CD.

Again, this is pretty drastic and I'm not sure what it will do to any USB devices. You may have to reinstall them as well when you reconnect them.